1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The old Hathaway shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Horace, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Any opinions on the old Hathaway shirts that were Made in the USA until recently?

2. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

Up through the mid 90s they were made in Waterville, Maine, before the manufacture was shipped overseas. I bought a few from 92-95 (when I lived in Maine) and found them to be pretty well-made, comparable in quality to a basic Brooks Bros. (though not as full-cut) or Paul Frederick.

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hathaway used to make an excellent shirt for the money. Towards the end the shirt production was very automated and not very nice. At one point Walmart was buying most of the production and selling the shirts for less then cost just to have a made in the USA shirt on the shelves. When I worked at Barneys in 1980, they still carried Hathaway shirts as the opening price point. I beleive Ike Behar now owns the name and the shirts will be either made in their factory in Canada or in Hong kong. Carl www.cego.com

4. Millerp

Millerp Senior Member

True http://www.hathawaystore.com/

5. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior Member

Well, they both have the triangular buttons, and pretty comparable quality.

I confess to liking the new Hathaway shirts. There. I feel better.

6. mezchr

mezchr New Member

1. The quality of material and construction declined rapidly over the years, although some of their cotton and polyester blends had a kind of sheen to them that could last a lifetime.

2. The wear of the shirt changed from such a very comfortable, glove-type fit to one that just barely tolerable. Frequently, their 100% cotton broadcloth shirts would lose most of the original look and feel after just a few washes, and I even washed them by hand.

3. The shirt had a very particular kind of cut that was "box-y" in the shoulders and chest.

4. They consistently produced the most beautiful fabric colors and designs, unlike that of any other shirt-maker I have ever come across while shopping.