1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Old Guys threak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Checks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Does anyone remember acid?

[​IMG]

lefty

I remember putting a hit of windowpane on my eyeball. Someone told me it was the quickest route to the brain.
    [​IMG]

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I had an interesting 50's, 60's and 70s

I'll post later.

As an example. I ran into a young girl ( about 28 ) at my "Social Club". As a kid in the early 50s I lived at 40 Clinton St. on the LES of Manhattan.

We started talking and it turns out that she lives at 5* Clinton St. a few doors down ( right now that is ). We paid $40 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. She pays $1,750 for a studio and is happy!

Good kid too. MBA from Baruch and a working consultant.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

I remember putting a hit of windowpane on my eyeball. Someone told me it was the quickest route to the brain. [​IMG]
    I wonder how it would work as a suppository? Kid talks about LSD.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. lefty

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

This sound
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. This commercial

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. I still like these tunes

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. And movie scenes where someone plops Alka Seltzers into a glass of water. Also movie scenes where passengers in a convertible end up accidentally going through a car wash.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i remember when women had hair on their pussies.

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

I threw my back out this sunday!

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

I remember when SNL was funny.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

my first sportswriting job was in albuquerque and i covered the dukes from time to time (AAA dodgers). The first season was Ron Cey, Mike Marshall, Charlie Hough, Davey Lopes and Steve Yeager with Tommy Lasorda managing!

I remember the Dukes well; they were the Toros' main competition, though they were not as good as the team you mention.

I remember when SNL was funny.

So true....

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

i remember when women had hair on their pussies.
    Remember? I live in Berkeley.

10. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

I remember "curb feelers" - those springs that would be right in front of the tire to let you know when you were close to the curb so you dodn't scratch your tires.

We had them on our Impala.

Now there was a car. I remember my brother taking me for rides on the highway. He would punch it from the on-ramp and I would watch the fuel gage slowly drop! Each quarter mile would probably cost $5 these days.

11. InsBrokerTX

InsBrokerTX Senior member

I remember when I could pee over a car. Now I do good to keep my shoes dry.

12. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I remember when I could pee over a car. Now I do good to keep my shoes dry.

Probably the best reason I've heard so far for cleaning shoes before polishing them. [​IMG]

13. AThingForCashmere

AThingForCashmere Senior member

I remember when I could pee over a car.
    Your neighborhood cat remembers it even more clearly.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

I know your parties are weird on that side of the bay, but ...

Now, now ... just because it's Berkeley doesn't mean it's wierd.

Out-of-body group meets Wednesday evenings at 7:30 ...
    ten feet above the top of the Cal Campanile.​

15. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Montreal Expos at Jarry Park with "Le Grande Orange"
    A Lionel Scout 2-4-2 steam-locomotive train set (still got it -- waiting for my son to be old enough before I set it up again)
    black and white tv with a dial
    "Woody" station wagons
    Lincoln Logs
    Growing up playing "board games", including lots of Avalon Hill stuff
    AD&DR
    Watching the Habs vs. Red Army on New Year's Eve
    all-cotton hockey sweaters (fock, were they heavy)
    iron-on tees and iron-on knee patches for your "dungarees"
    SST racers
    rotary phones
    Wide World of Sports
    day-glo orange and/or bright blue sportcoats on CBC Sports announcers
    Wagon Wheels -- two for 5 cents
    "Happy Days"
    "Davey and Goliath"

16. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I used to have a large collection of Britain's Ltd. lead soldiers as a boy. Anybody remember those? Just about every Xmas I got more "leads." I sold my collection in 1981, got some decent money for it. They'd probably be worth more today, but some of the figures were starting to oxidize, so it was just as well.

I am sure the safety Nazis would be up in arms today about little boys playing with lead soldiers, but it never did me any harm that I've been able to discern.

In an earlier, more robust era, little boys were given moulds to cast their own lead soldiers from molten lead--I'm sure that practice would give the Health & Safety Nazis apoplexy today!

17. comrade

comrade Senior member

I wore knickers. (Plus Fours)

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I remember when PCs were far in the future.

My school, Rice U., had a huge main frame and a "computer lab". It was one of 5 schools that were part of Arapanet ( a precursor to the internet ).

One of the guys in my dorm was a nerd and he always was telling me to "get into computers"!.

I thought he was nuts and he reminded me of the famous scene from Dustin Hoffman's movie "The Graduate". The scene where there's a party by the pool and a guy tells the newly graduating Dustin Hoffman, "Plastics, young man Plastics". Turns out my dorm mate was right though. Today he's a principal with Kleiner Perkins in SF. Really a brilliant guy. But I knew better back then, with my weed smoking and trips to the valley.

It's not over yet. One of my current projects is interesting. I met an amazing girl. She's too young for me since she's 28. But she's really something else. She's extraordinarily hot ( no pictures will be posted ), and when most people see her they think, "What club does she work in?". But au contraire, it's completely different. She's an international business consultant with an MBA from a very prestigious University. She's traveled all over the world doing third party consulting for major oil companies! She wants me to introduce her to some of my oil patch friends to see if she can get to the next level. I'm going to do it and I really hope it leads to something.

As Dick Cavett once famously said of Johny Carson, " I think he has an avuncular interest in me". Well, I think she has an avuncular interest in me. Sometimes it's good being old. I missed my chance 40 years ago but I really would be delighted if she makes it to the next level.

19. RSS

RSS Senior member

^^^ My first PC accommodated two six inch floppy disks ... and had NO hard drive. Remember MS-DOS? The program I used most often was PSF File ... and I still use it ... in an MS-DOS window.

20. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

My parents met working at IBM in the mid-60's and have always been somewhat involved with computers. I remember my dad bringing home the dumb terminals where the telephone handset went into the acoustic coupler and you could link into the mainframe that way.

Also, one of my friends in junior high had a TRS-80 computer and we used to spend hours programming in BASIC and saving the programs on the cassette tape drive.