1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Old Guys threak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Checks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Ah, smoking on airplanes or in shopping malls (but not in the stores themselves) Those were the days - LOL!

2. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Ah, smoking on airplanes or in shopping malls (but not in the stores themselves) Those were the days - LOL!

Yeah, that's it!

Still remember smoking on board while flying from somewhere in Eastern Europe to NYC..16 hour flight='d 2 packs of Gitane's[​IMG]

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

January '72 was Marilyn Cole. Quite bushy.
    January '71 was Liv. Just a wisp of PH.

Playmate archive.

My first awareness that I was getting older was when the Playmates started being younger than I was.

Told that to a colleague once and he said that for him it was when pro baseball players started being younger than him. Differing perspectives.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I also had the Hot wheels collection that Mark from Plano posted.
    I also had some larger die cast cars from Corgi -quite cool.

I saw the original Batmobile at Daryl Starbird's Rod and Custom Show, along with Don Garlits' Swamp Rat top fuel dragster! I think alot of boys learned to draw from copying these things -and building the models.

Also, i liked the campy Batman tv show!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Acephale

Acephale Senior member

Do you know what an IBM Selectric is?

IBM made scalextric... whoah learn something new each and every day...

www.scalextric.com/

Do I want my marbles back?... I used to very good as far as I can remember and conkers too.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do I want my marbles back?
    I keep mine in a bowl on my desk.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

lefty

kabangers or something?

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Dad's gold tone Pulsar digital watch that required two hands to operate and was continually going into the shop for repairs. A mid-'70s vision of the future that wasn't, back when 7-segment LEDs were a new and wondrous thing.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My first awareness that I was getting older was when the Playmates started being younger than I was.

Told that to a colleague once and he said that for him it was when pro baseball players started being younger than him. Differing perspectives.

I realized that I was indeed old, when I saw two attractive, 20'ish university girls one day. I had the misfortune to overhear part of their conversation, and all I could think of was how annoying they were.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

kabangers or something?

Bunch of names, but I knew them as "Clackers." Tie two together and they made excellent bolos.

lefty

12. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Remember Pop Rocks? I think they were actually outlawed.

As for Playboy Playmates, has anyone else (old guys that is) noticed that when perusing a website that has all the playmates from start to current year, the ones that are really, really hot almost always fall into the years when you were between 16 and 25?

About a year ago I was looking through a site that had them all (a few hundred) and it was this narrow range that was always the hottest.

A lot of these hotties are probably grandmothers now. Sigh........

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

About the time I turned 40 ... I was joking with a friend at the gym ... saying that the time had come when I needed to stand at the urinal a little longer. He responded ... "Right on clockwork ... happened to me about the same age. The worst is when you don't ... and your wearing sweats."

I'd almost bet any guy over 40 knows just what I mean.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

John Facenda and the NFL films.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

15. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

[​IMG]

lefty

Holy jeebus, our parents were okay with letting us play with these, solid balls of tempered glass swung at maximum velocity so they smacked each other and made that "CLACK!" sound, at what, about 2 or 3 clacks per second? *shudder*

They were fun for the two or three weeks we had 'em before the law suits and recalls started flying.

Ah, those were the days . . .

16. thinman

thinman Senior member

The Tucson Toros were the AAA franchise for the Astros. ...

I grew up in Tucson and remember when the Toros were the AAA affiliate for the Oakland A's (early '70's, I think). Phil Garner and Manny Trillo played on the same infield, with Dan Ford in the outfield. They couldn't make the majors because the A's were winning the World Series.

Anyone have the very old styled hockey game, where you pulled and twisted levers? All my friends and I had one, and we spent hours playing it.

I guess my brothers and I had a really old style hockey game. The levers only turned, but didn't pull. The game used a ball for a puck and we had to wait until it rolled within range of a player. Ah, good times....

......yes, I guess I really am ancient.

17. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Holy jeebus, our parents were okay with letting us play with these, solid balls of tempered glass swung at maximum velocity so they smacked each other and made that "CLACK!" sound, at what, about 2 or 3 clacks per second? *shudder*

They were fun for the two or three weeks we had 'em before the law suits and recalls started flying.

Ah, those were the days . . .

Hello, did you forget LAWN DARTS?!

b

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Do they still make these? [​IMG] lefty

19. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Not the awesome, lethal metal things. [​IMG]

20. stewartu

stewartu Senior member

Relax all. These are the good-old days!!