The Old Guys threak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Checks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I definitely remember them from when I was a kid.

How was the Dewey Presidency?

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

What about ongoing games that lasted forever (mostly footall, but could be any team sport). Kids would drop out as their parents/siblings pulled them out for dinner, while others would join. Darkness (accompanied by "next td/goal wins") was the referee's final whistle...

Anyone else have trucks that sprayed mosquito-control gas (i.e. pesticide) going through the neighborhood in the summertime? We'd follow it on our bikes riding in and out of the poisonous fog [​IMG]

Pond hockey! Do kids still shovel driveways or cut lawns for speding $? [​IMG]

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

What about ongoing games that lasted forever (mostly footall, but could be any team sport). Kids would drop out as their parents/siblings pulled them out for dinner, while others would join. Darkness (accompanied by "next td/goal wins") was the referee's final whistle...
    Yes, even our generation had that.
    I did that from 7 until 13, when I got my first real job.

Do you old farts think that any generation after yours is full of lazy pussies? Give me a break.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

Yes, even our generation had that.

I did that from 7 until 13, when I got my first real job.

Do you old farts think that any generation after yours is full of lazy pussies? Give me a break.

Easy there, Junior. My comments are based on my (limited) observations over a 40 year period in a single NJ town. I'm glad there still raising normal kids out in the cornfields...

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Easy there, Junior. My comments are based on my (limited) observations over a 40 year period in a single NJ town. I'm glad there still raising normal kids out in the cornfields...

The pussy line wasn't directed at you. More at the people with the "kids these days just don't understand" attitude.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Does anyone remember when the arrival of a new catalogue was a big event?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I remember what a treat it was when the JC Penney toy catalogue came in the mail. My sister used to write a letter to Santa with the items she wished to receive, complete with page and item numbers!

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Remember when Playboy Playmates and other women posing in the magazine couldn't show pubic hair? Of course, they don't show pubic hair these days for the opposite reason!

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Another catalogue moment. It helps if you remember Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Remember when Playboy Playmates and other women posing in the magazine couldn't show pubic hair? Of course, they don't show pubic hair these days for the opposite reason!
    Wasn't it a performance artist/model who broke that barrier? Velselka/Verushka or something? lefty

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Remember when Playboy Playmates and other women posing in the magazine couldn't show pubic hair?

IIRC that's how Penthouse made its big move in the men's magazine marketplace: they were showing muff when Playboy refused to change with the times.

And then Hustler did a scratch and sniff!
    [​IMG]

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, from what I heard,
    pubic hairs were quite tricky
    in the stone carvings.

13. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Easy enough to say but what if the line of work you want pays jack? Not to derail though, there have been several threaks on this topic.

Duh. But even with sneakers?

[​IMG]

Somewhere on the SF there is a picture of my low-tops with shoe treez

14. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Like DakRube, I am not nostalgic. Probably more jealous than nostalgic.

One thing I really like it that I don't look like my parents did when they were in their 40s, yikes.[​IMG]

There's some great stuff going on right now, foremost of which is lapels smaller than a B-52.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Somewhere on the SF there is a picture of my low-tops with shoe treez

I use teh treez in my Crocs.