• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
bad Burgs happen, yet the great ones always keep men of reasonable intellect coming back to play the game.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
05 Peay Scallop Shelf Pinot tonight. Went well with the grilled steaks.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
That's cuz ur nobut a lad.

Twas pathetic.

Agreed, but just like with Kim K, I oftentimes find myself hoping that a burg will finally wake up after a swirl of my stem.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
I think that's the rub. Feast or famine.

It's the Kim Kardashian of appellations. Looks awesome, then you see the adult content.

ROFL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
My friend Richard owns a wine store in Mill Valley and has been in the wine business for almost 40 years. He's told me before that the most disappointing wine region for him is Burgundy. It's also his favorite. The swings from high to low can be dramatic, and it's very hard to make generalizations. I can see how it would drive people crazy.

I drank a 2008 Rivers Marie Theriot vineyard chardonnay for the Super Bowl and it is just a lovely wine. I'm no expert on white Burgundy, but I don't think I could pick this wine out if served blind among a few Montrachet.

Have you ever been to Ludwig's in San Anselmo? Great selection of wine and spirits. Nice owner too.

I was able to buy a bottle of Blue as one of the gifts for my father's 60th last month for a total of . . . $140!

Oh, he was able to engrave a little message to my father too.

Cheers

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Have you ever been to Ludwig's in San Anselmo? Great selection of wine and spirits. Nice owner too. I was able to buy a bottle of Blue as one of the gifts for my father's 60th last month for a total of . . . $140! Oh, he was able to engrave a little message to my father too. Cheers
Yes, I used to live down the street from Ludwigs. He almost always had great older wines on the shelf at reasonable prices, and a good cigar selection too. Tonight I drank a 2006 Scherrer Sonoma County pinot noir. Scherrer is known more as a zin producer, but I really like, and prefer, his pinot noirs. My wife, who rarely comments on wine, really liked this, and remarked "This is much better than I expected." Slightly offended, I asked her why her expectations were so low, and she said it was light colored and didn't look like it had any pizazz. Fortunately, her bar was lower when choosing a husband.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2007 Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec ($18ish).

25dc78c7.jpg

Very dark reddish, purple color. No way you're seeing through this wine. Solid right to the rim.

ee483fbb.jpg

Very new world and fruit forward. Black cherries with a hint of leather. Wanted something to go with a pot of chili tonight and this worked just great. Very enjoyable, but fairly simple. For those nights when you want something well made that doesn't require your entire attention.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
2007 Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec ($18ish).

25dc78c7.jpg

Very dark reddish, purple color. No way you're seeing through this wine. Solid right to the rim.

ee483fbb.jpg

Very new world and fruit forward. Black cherries with a hint of leather. Wanted something to go with a pot of chili tonight and this worked just great. Very enjoyable, but fairly simple. For those nights when you want something well made that doesn't require your entire attention.

Or as I like to say not too cerebral but not brain dead
laugh.gif

Looks like a nice pour. How are the tannins? Smooth and sweet? I'm assuming that if it held up to a chili (depending on the type of chili) that the tannins were there. The GF made some awesome Firehouse chili for the Superbowl and I wish I had had a nice rich Malbec to go with it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Or as I like to say not too cerebral but not brain dead
laugh.gif

Looks like a nice pour. How are the tannins? Smooth and sweet? I'm assuming that if it held up to a chili (depending on the type of chili) that the tannins were there. The GF made some awesome Firehouse chili for the Superbowl and I wish I had had a nice rich Malbec to go with it.

I would describe the tannins as slightly leathery, with an emphasis on slight. I would say that the fruit in the wine is what permitted it to stand up to the chili. Not unlike pairing a sweeter Riesling with spicy Thai food, or something like that. Smooth and sweet is probably an apt description.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0413-1.jpg
Really excited to try this. First time Ridge has bottled viognier as a separate bottling. There's an acre planted within the Lytton Springs vineyard, but it's typically co-fermented with syrah for the Lytton Estate syrah. 63 cases made, available only in .375s.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rough and ready Shiraz from Oz. Filled a void after a hell of a day. Actually, pretty good balance. Fruit, though, was overblown by acidity. Alcohol balance was good and good tannins. Dark fruit was of iffy quality, especially when compared to the divine Dead Arm Shiraz at $55. At $28, The Laughing Magpie was over priced by $10.

laughingm.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
i finally got an offer to buy some new turley releases.. but have no idea which ones to try.

Try Dogtown, Oldvine and Juvenile. Best QPRs, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads