• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last Bottle just had Penfolds. I feel in the same boat right now.
When i lived in Australia (it was with my parents) we lived in an apartment complex in a tony part of town. It was more a reflection of well while we are here lets enjoy the view mpre than we are amongst our people. Anyway they had amassed quite a decent collection of ozzie wine when it was at its peak and included in the lot was a bunch of penfolds.

Well theree was one time where i forget the exact timeline but my parents left and there were some contractors doing some work on the three-unit building and when my parents came back they were short several cases of penfolds which was the au courant wine at the time.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sabrage saturday then,
20201128_180923.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe this is their old label, think they made the switch the following year in ‘09
nice, got confused as I have lanessan (all post '10), and my label looks total different. Thought maybe they had two bottlings

quigleysr

Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed this in the past but this particular bottle had a very noticeable soapy taste. Internet tells me it could mean too much time on the lees. Anyone ever experience this?
4AD58FC0-318D-4D83-B849-FDD2127E8A6E.jpeg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife bought 2 cases of this earlier in the year for thanksgiving when we thought we would be 20+ ppl. As it turns out, we were 4 people. 2 of which are 8 or younger. I better learn to like drinking this wine.

All kidding aside. This seemed like a good crowd pleasing wine that went well enough with dinner.

View attachment 1505501

The wine is wonderful, but terrible with a Thanksgiving meal if it is traditional in any way. The flavors are all too green!

Some of the longer term posters will remember this story.

The two highest ranked SBs ever are Didier Dagueneau's Pur Sang and Merry's SB. I can't remember the vintages for sure at the moment, think Didier's was 04 and Merry's was more recent, but I lined up a bottle of each and then the chef at one of our spots designed a large tasting menu around the two wines. Hard to believe they were the same grape but both were wonderful in their own way.

You know, some day we will have to have a drink together somewhere or other, despite the criminally small amount of vermouth you put in your martinis.

I've had the '04 Pur Sang (overpriced, by the Coravin glass) and ME and the DD Boisson Renard (also an '04). Delightful wines. I openes a '16 ME tonight and it was singing, so extracted, such a rich honeydew, but dry and tannic like some green twig with a whiff of sunflower's brightness. I love this wine. And the Dageunau was a grail wine for me ever since I saw Jancis wax rhapshodic about his SB when I was like 12. The Boisson was ethereal, austere where the ME was concentrated - the melon alone signalling the consanguinity in the grape. But the DD was so restrained, like melon in a field after a spring rain.

****** week but nice to open a really lovely bottle of wine that brings you joy in the present as well as memory of joys past.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2010, Pessac-Léognan

How was the Carbonnuiex? I have a few bottles of the '05, but have never tasted their wine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads