1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

So easy to drink

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

It's certainly up there.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Had a glass of this last night. Still
    too oaky for my taste but deeply layered, complicated... some of the same flavor elements I appreciate in well-aged northern eye-tals.
    Certainly glad I wasn't paying ;)

[​IMG]

4. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Lol, there's been a lot of this going around lately... agree that it's got a lot going on in the glass.

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

A few wines over the Masters weekend: 89 Cos d'Estournel: for my tastes, firing on all cylinders and ready to go. Balanced, aromatic, picked up weight in the decanter over a few hours, just wonderful. 1995 Ridge Montebello: finally showing some maturity and beginning to shed it's deep core of fruit and show some secondary characteristics. Wonderful, looking forward to seeing this one continue to evolve. 2013 Arnot Roberts North Coast Trousseau: I thought this was a bretty mess and did not enjoy it. I've had this before and liked it, not sure what was going on here. 2014 Sandhi Santa Rita Hills Pinot: this was okay. I like the Sandhi Chards (this is sommelier Raj Parr's label) a lot, but I didn't really care for this.

2 people like this.
  6. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

Vajra make great wine. QPR is fantastic as well.

7. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Agreed

8. venividivicibj

Dark, gamey, smoke

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2012 Syrah from Stoney Vine vineyard in the rocks district of walla walla. Super funky as expected. 2009 Cab from similar geography, bought a couple of the 2010s today so it gave me a hankering for it

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Hard to get. Friend retailed me some last year. Nice stuff.

Had this with dinner tonight. For about $15 a bottle it's hard to beat. Acid is lively.

[​IMG]

From last Saturday night at my nearby place. Not ashamed to say I killed all five with just a little help from Mrs. Piob.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

Let me know if you want some, next time they have an allocation, I can PM you whats available, and just let me know what you want.

Hardest part of that maker is that you're supposed to let it age... but damn it's good.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. venividivicibj

@RedLantern how did you like the beresan? I was thinking of ordering some from yesterday's offer

13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was $22 at the PA wine store. I'm really diggin' it.

1 person likes this.
  14. RedLantern

I am a really big fan of the '09, I had not had nor heard of the winery before I bought some of that from Full Pull, but I have reordered it a time or two. For $20, it is the best WA cab I have come across. I'm excited to see how the 2010 compares.

15. Piobaire

I put myself in for six. I'm hoping it's as good a QPR as the Berg family 07 was.

16. RedLantern

They were zeroed out of the Berg before I tried to pick some up (on your recommendation) - though didn't you get that for like 9.99 or something stupid because the label looked like a DIY project?

17. Piobaire

It was pretty cheap and I got a re-order in. Think I got a case altogether and have probably drank half of it already.

18. RedLantern

Is it true that the primary beneficiaries of "good" vintages are middle-of-the-road and below wines/wineries? It seems like there will always be enough really good fruit to make the perennial heavyweight wines, but that during good years the 2nd and 3rd tier wines get much better fruit than average?

19. Piobaire

You're talking New World, particularly Left Coast, here? Probably folks like that do get better fruit than they normally would...but they're still the same winemaker.

20. RedLantern

Yeah, especially considering that there is very little dry land farming in Washington, I assume most of CA is irrigated as well?

I don't have enough knowledge to know, but is the skill of the winemaker more or less important than the fruit quality? It seems like a lot of good winemakers generally extol the quality of the fruit they receive and say they just let it do it's thing - is that just false modesty?

I've just set off on this train of though cause you like the Berg wine so much, but it's a little surprising its so good, given that it is the one and only vintage of a new to Washington winemaker and it's not labeled as from any prestigious source. 2007 was considered to be a great vintage in WA and I was wondering if that is the reason for the high quality.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016