• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning the evening.

Well, mainly wine pairings for our guests :)

Cocktail: Ginger Margarita
Cheese: Cristom Pinot Noir
Coquille St. Jacques: Gunderloch Kabinett Riesling
Prime Rib: Duckhorn Cabernet
Tarte au Chocolat: Moët & Chandon Imperial Nectar Champagne

Happy New Year, gang. Hope it's a great one for all of you.

Cheers.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2006 Rochioli estate smells wonderful right out of the gate, looking forward to its evolution over the course of the evening.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bringing with me to dinner tonight: N.V. Pierre Péters Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve. For the toast after the midnight toast? The rest of my bottle of 1965 Louis XIII. Just enough left for Mrs. Piob, the sommelier, the couple we're with, and me to have a wee dram.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think sommelier would be a ******* sweet side job.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a wine novice in general, but I really know absolutely nothing about Greek wine (aside from the fact that retsina is the vilest stuff on earth). Bought this in the spirit of trying new things in the new year. $20 at the local market. Surprisingly good--really well balanced and pretty tasty.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I still think sommelier would be a ******* sweet side job.

To be what I'd call "a real sommelier" is about a 60-70 hour a week job. Not being snarky or anything just saying it's a job that's much tougher than it would seem to be. Also, plan to work every single holiday and Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, plan to work every single holiday and Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

This to me would be the worst. Every time someone says to me "You should work in food/wine/whatever", this is the first thought through my head.

Serious props to those who dedicate themselves to it. While yes, it would be sweet to be paid to spend all day working with wine, I'm sure the reality is much less glamorous.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but it seems like the majority of it is much like a sales/retail job combined with lifting a lot of cases of wine up and down stairs.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did this for a period of time in my early 20's.

You're a waiter that doesn't carry food and is responsible for the wine list, vendor management and stocking/inventory.

You're responsible for pouring the wine and selection table-side. Its a bit thankless, frankly, the waitstaff views you as a barnacle and doesn't want to tip you out, the customer often views you as uninvited when they don't want to spend $ on wine. And then when you get the selection wrong you suck.

I always kept wine off the list to present something special to a table that needed stroking, or really wanted to $ is out, magnums especially. Always worked to come back to a table with a more seasoned version of the wine they ordered in a magnum.

What I hated was the foo foo ****, cherries and berries, bark and grass, bla bla bla. I didnt do it, and people thought they needed to sound smart and spin the glass and say that ****. Roll eyes. If its good, its good.

The only fun part was the selection process, sampling, etc. The rest is begging for dimes, same as any waiter.

By the way, just tell the waiter to pour. No need to go thru the tasting ritual, its pompous. If the wine is bad you'll know.

Happened the day after tgiving actually (not at a restaurant). Everyone at the table even made an effort to taste corking because they never have. Anyway, the whole tasting ceremony is pompous.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my bottle of Champagne was corked this NYE. Good thing I bought several bottles. :)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Douchery.

I probably would not finish my meal and walk out if this ******* idiot showed up at my table.

One of my bottle of Champagne was corked this NYE. Good thing I bought several bottles. :)

My somm buddy showed up at our table with a 10 year old Mosel Beerenauslese another table said was corked. The cork was funky looking but the wine clearly was not corked. He kept the cork though, will report to vendor customer sent it back as such, and bottle was on the house. Had it for our foie course. :slayer:

That's how a real somm rolls.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My somm buddy showed up at our table with a 10 year old Mosel Beerenauslese another table said was corked. The cork was funky looking but the wine clearly was not corked. He kept the cork though, will report to vendor customer sent it back as such, and bottle was on the house. Had it for our foie course. :slayer:
That's how a real somm rolls.

Awesome! Who was the producer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads