1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

A few wines over the last week.

1997 Jamet Cote Rotie - not a great vintage, yet still a well made and enjoyable wine. Light in body, wonderful aromatics, petered out about two hours in.

2013 Jamet Cotes du Rhone - great representation of Northern Rhone Syrah. Great aromatics, straightforward, an hour in an strong thyme note. A case buy and a go to wine.

1994 Ridge Montebello - always amazed at how youthful these wines are, even in this case at 20+ years. Still miles to go, fresh deep core of fruit, beginning to show secondary characteristics.

2012 Knoll Loibenberg Smaragd Riesling - Had this at Lotus of Siam in Vegas last week. Prototypical Austrian Riesling, piney, fresh, zippy, perfect with the food, awesome.

Bastianich Rosato - non-descript rose, can't remember the vintage, didn't really enjoy it.

1986 Pichon Lalande - something was off with this bottle I think, there was just nothing there.

Aubert Chardonnay, Larry Hyde & Sons - Had this at Bouchon in Vegas and this was just okay. I'm not a big fan of CA Chardonnay, but there are some that I like quite a bit: Littorai, Failla Jordan, Ramey, Rochioli SVs when young, Mt Eden when older. I've had the Aubert Ritchie a few times and enjoyed it a lot. This was more towards the flabby side of things and closer to the CA style I don't care for. I should have gone white Burg here.

1 person likes this.
  2. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG] Went out to a small Sicilian bistro in a remodeled barn. Obviously got the muscles and antipasto. I wish I could afford to buy Wilamete Pinot noir more often. The chard was funky, and a pleasant opener for the red , but I couldn't say much more.

3. Principle

Principle Senior member

I love restaurants where the chef comes out to chat and expects a wine tax (in her/his own, nicer glass)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Heard of Lotus of Siam, but never made it out to try it - worth it?

1 person likes this.
  5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Absolutely. If you like to eat, it's a must in Vegas. Probably in the shittiest strip mall in the world, but the food is out of this world.

ETA: it also has one of the best winelists I have seen, especially if you like German Riesling.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I've only been to Lotus of Siam once and I was a little underwhelmed by the food. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe our table didn't order wisely. It wasn't bad, of course, but it didn't strike me as so much better than the best Thai places in L.A. or Queens.

The wine list is pretty incredible for a Thai place.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The whole catfish at Lotus of Siam was incredible. I looked through chowhound to get an idea of what to order. LoS is a fantastic dining option in Vegas. Would definitely return but note that it gets really crowded. I went right as it opened and waited an hour.

8. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Try Hoy-Ka Noodles

9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I too researched prior to visiting and went the route of speaking to the server, provided some guidelines and let him order for us (I was with my kids so I couldn't get too crazy). I also made a reservation, which was pretty painless. Some of the reviews I read were funny in that people went there and ordered the standard stuff they'd get at their neighborhood Thai place: pad thai, satay, etc and were disappointed. Northern Thai is their specialty (which I don't know much about) and we tried to focus on that. I could eat several orders of crispy fried rice with sausage.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Does anyone know if Rosemary's was able to re-open? It was my favorite off-strip place in Vegas but suddenly closed about four-five years ago. I had heard the chef/owner was going to reopen but cannot find it. Their prix fixe was an incredible deal.

11. venividivicibj

Doesn't Siam have a specialty with szechuan peppers? numbs the tongue

12. zhouyu

zhouyu Senior member

The khao soi was pretty good there

13. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I've seen this, and it's atrocious. At BYOBs where I know the owner, I will often offer, or send a taste back to the chef.

Only once did I have the opposite happen, at Le Bec Fin of all places. Georges was sitting with my wife and I, dropping F bombs as only he can in his beautiful French accent, both in general conversation and to curse out his staff. He had a huge Burgundy glass in his hand and I asked him what he was drinking. He grabbed a waiter and sent him back into the kitchen to grab the bottle, and my wife and I both got a few ounces of 1990 La Tache. God I miss that place...

3 people like this.
  14. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

This past weekend was strong in CA wines. All drank very well with the Tin Man being the best of the bunch, but honorable mention to both Duckhorns, which were consumed (by dumb luck) at probably the perfect point in their evolution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I kept turning down my Scarecrow and Tin Man and now am wait listed again. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on CA cult cab for that price. :(

16. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I have a buddy who got on the list early and we split the allocation sometimes. I too have a hard time spending the $ on cult wines, so recently I just take some Tin Man and let him pay for all the Scarecrow knowing I'll drink a lot of them with him anyway. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

just don't let him know you do it like that on purpose haha

1 person likes this.
  18. venividivicibj

Lots of primal notes of dark fruit, but some leather/smoke poking through afterwards.

[​IMG]

19. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

[​IMG]

From Sunday night. Rioja was really good. About $20.

I know that most will judge me for my Brunello vinfanticide but I don't care. Yes it's young, but it's also really approachable and fucking good right now. I have five more of these and they may not live to adulthood. Just saying.

3 people like this.
  20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

2010 was like the greatest brunello vintage of all time. I've yet to have even tasted a bad one.

2 people like this.