1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Principle

Principle Senior member

Ah there was at least another bottle of that Balmoral...and some some mid-2000's Pinot's that were originally marked at like 40-50.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had my very last 2004 Lescalles last night. *sniff*

3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Any recs on a wine fridge?

I only need a 12 bottler or smaller since the majority of my wine is in an offsite warehouse.

4. Principle

Principle Senior member

Paid for with a offshore bank account?

5. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

LOL I think I pay like 25/month for a 14 case temp controlled locker.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

The pun is off the charts. :p

[​IMG]

Good but a bit hot.

7. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I meant wine locker. lol

8. Principle

Principle Senior member

Any thoughts on "Parkerization" of wine? How much do critic scores weigh in on your purchase habits, say against personal recommendations or 'democratic' apps like Vivino?

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

0%

2 people like this.
  10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Parker definitely effed up Napa in a big way, and maybe irreversibly. Less so Bordeaux, though he has had an effect there, but I find his influence easier to avoid.

As for scores, "crowd sourced" scores are close to useless because all wines are "91 points!". I do find that, from the critics, when there is a consensus above 95, 10-1 the wine is pretty damned good. The exceptions are overripe years such as 2003 Bord, which I find I don't like almost across the board, no matter what the critics say. Concentrated, yes, but very one-note.

11. Principle

Principle Senior member

Concealed,

You just do it live and taste each region blindly? Or go for the pretty labels?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  12. Principle

Principle Senior member

Insofar as Napa is "pricing itself out of the market?"

13. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

1. Yes, Parker did cause some issues but he wasn't the only critic rewarding those types of wines. The flying winemaking consultants made millions while applying their formulas all over the world, but in many old world regions they couldn't do too much damage because the terroir didn't offer them that ripeness all the time like you see in Napa / Sonoma.

2. When critics are going crazy for a wine I have no problem checking them out because of that, but crowdsourced scores are useless. That applies to wine competitions where the "crowd" is a group of professional judges.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In a very broad statement Parker was both fantastic for the wine world and horrible for the wine world. He was fantastic as his voice did help improve the quality of wine world wide but he was horrible for the wine world in terms of homogeneity of style. Again, just a broad summary statement and also just my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I'm not a Parker basher, because as you say he was the best world wide ambassador for quality wine for 2 decades. There were too many wineries hiding behind the shield of "we make old world styled wines", instead of acknowledging that their wines were just not very good. Did the pendulum swing too far in one direction? Yes, certainly, but he also dragged a lot of wineries out of the dark ages.

2 people like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is pretty much my opinion too.

17. Principle

Principle Senior member

Is everyone here that averse to the crowdsource model? I understand that wine is nuanced, and the general population may not appreciate subtleties in the same way a som would, but just how different is this from having wine peers that make recommendations?

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

buy from a good importer, they do the work for you. Kermit Lynch, Rosenthal, etc.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

While I agree with you I would submit this is not all that different than relying on a Parker to help pick wines. You know I think the world of Kermit but essentially, be it Parker or Kermit, we're relying on knowing a third party's preferences and trusting them to align with our own.

3 people like this.
  20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Here's the problem, statistically...

Let's assume you really like big, huge fruit bombs, with a lot of oak. You look at the 90 point average for a wine and yawn. If you take the time to read through all of the notes from each reviewer, if they have even bothered to leave notes, you might find they look something like this:

Review A - 98 Points, stunning, enormous gobs of red and black fruit, super ripe, with lot of vanilla and other new oak notes.

Review B - 82 Points, over done, over ripe, over oaked, just terrible.

and so on... until you get your 90 point average.

Which is why when I am asked my advice, I tell people that yes, while it's great to have a reviewer who your palate aligns with in terms of overall point scores, it's better to have one whose notes you trust, so that you can read the review and decide by the description if you would like the wine or not.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    2 people like this.