1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. alexg

alexg Senior member

It's not my cellar.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If you don't care to learn about the service portion I would do wset instead. It's like 3 times as expensive but it's also like 3 times the wine and 3 times the learning time. They also do spirits and their method of tasting seems a little better to me. The CMS people still have you looking at legs and stuff. Seems a little outdated.

Also for CMS they only show you the nifty service stuff. You don't actually get to do it. If you buy a nice bottle at an awesome restaurant you get to see it anyways.

I took the same class gome did but having four master somms guide you through a structured tasting is very informative and very different. Also talking to them afterwards is great. The info itself is not super advanced/detailed but pretty good. not sure if all that is worth $500 to you but it was worth it for me.

I do agree with you that $500 spent on drinking wine by yourself isn't the same as going through a structured tasting with a master somm. You could probably approximate the experience drinking with gome or manton though. Holy grail would be drinking with slewfoot.

Wines are actually pretty decent quality. They probably buy wholesale so can't say for sure but it was like 25 wines. The ones I knew were like $12-$20 (so $300 to $500 if you spent that money buying the wine yourself). Considering they have to rent the room, rent glasses and pay someone to wash them, and pay the somms I remember thinking it wasn't a bad deal at all.

I remember going in thinking like gome all tasting is bullshit, but coming out thinking maybe there really is something to this. Their palates were razor sharp. They could easily nail not just varietal, but growing conditions, geography, and vintage and tell you specifically how they could tell and how other wines (eg other areas same varietal or similar area different varietal) would taste different (and also actually taste you on differences). That was very informative and definitely something I would have never experienced otherwise. I got to ask questions during and after and they were more than willing and capable of giving great informative answers very different from talking with a sales assistant or a somm at your local bistro

They do focus a lot on what I think are bullshit descriptors (ripe Antigua melons, crushed dehydrated strawberries, dirt with live earthworms) but it's mainly for your own memory. People have different associations with different compounds so while you might not understand other people's descriptors using your own descriptors for yourself seems pretty useful in useless situations like blind tastings.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

:inlove:

1 person likes this.
  4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'd drink to that interviewed Maria from Lopez de Heredia on their latest podcast. Listening to it now. Pretty good. Maybe cuz they interviewed her in NYC and not Philly? :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. erictheobscure

Does she actually like her own wines? Or does she mostly just stick to beer?

6. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG] I was expecting a lot of structure on this, but it was really pleasant and well rounded! Jammy, silky tannins with good body for a Pinot noir. Had this with lemon-mustard brussel sprout hash and roasted broccoli.

7. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Why were you expecting a lot of structure?

1 person likes this.
  8. Principle

Principle Senior member

I've come to understand one possible demarcation of oenology to be new and old school production methods, with older methods from older vineyards producing more structured wines that warrant cellaring.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member

While I love semi-dry Riesling and prefer it to dry-dry, I am not into semi-dry Vouvray. Thank God I have only one more bottle.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Cork was spongy and I just knew it was going to break. Got out the nub okay though. Just letting it open up for 30 minutes as we've got some guests coming over for wine and nosh.

[​IMG]

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It was so boring I fell asleep in the middle of it. Woke up and she was saying how they never decant their wines

I feel like even if I were the son of Aubert de Villaine I would get tired of drinking DRC if I've been drinking it my whole life. Also beer in the states is awesome.

And yeah she probably doesn't like her wines. I'm thinking her dad made her come out to a event in philly.

IME older vines don't necessarily have more structure. they taste more extracted and concentrated. There really isn't a binary older method of production and younger method of production. There's a long continuum with lots of variables.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. erictheobscure

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So the Bord was great. Smooth, refined, fruit present but not in your face. A really nice drinking wine.

Also opened a great Pouilly-Fuissé which was just so good. Old world, flinty, mineral, crab apples, so good. Also opened two 100% Grenache to compare side by side. 2011 Booker The Ripper and 2010 Bodegas Alto Moncayo. The old world was way darker and full of new oak vanilla. The Booker more floral and fruity, easier to drink but surprisingly had more tannins.

We also committed a bit of vinfanticide but the person that brought it has a case and just wanted to check in:

[​IMG]

Stewed prunes, jammy, dark and intense. A decade from now this is going to kill.

3 people like this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

As expected it was fruity and jammy but also a fairly prominent eucalyptus/menthol note I was not overly happy with. Peppery and star anise too.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. dwlbu

dwlbu Senior member

I looooove Alto Moncayo. Was the Haut Bages Liberal stored climate/humidity controlled? That seems a little young for a failing cork

16. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG] I've been on a Pinot kick. I've heard a lot about this winery in passing and decided to grab a bottle. Fruit forward with chocolate notes on the finish. A half-chode against that David Bruce.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just sold for over $300 million.

18. Manton

Manton Senior member

What a chump. I paid $11.95 for a 375cl on my last trans-con flight.

2 people like this.
  19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

old vines don't mean shit if you decide to pick every grape, good and bad, from the vine and use that to make wine. Yield management, people.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's a good point. If vine management and sorting is carefully done tho I feel like older vines taste more concentrated

Are there wineries that harvest haphazardly using old vines? I feel like if a winery is going to commit to old vines they're more likely to pick carefully

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015