1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

This is not possible, even with the SAQ.

1 person likes this.
  2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Seems you're right. I just checked on SAQ.com and they are starting at a better price than I seemed to remember.

I don't know how I came up with these prices - must've mistaken them with another varietal/region.

My bad.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Each to his own and I'm currently on a Rioja jag. For $20 right now Rioja is probably what I would go to first. That might change but right now I can't believe what I'm getting for $17-20 in Rioja.

4. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Hey, that's good news. I just know that there is a flood of wine from Rioja at pretty hot prices Ex Winery so even with large markups from state systems (such as in my state of PA) they still hit pretty decent price points.

1 person likes this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i haven't had enough Rioja to make an informed opinion of it.

i realize this is a fault.

1 person likes this.
  6. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

Its hard to do much better in the $20-$30 range than La Rioja Alta, Vina Ardanza.

[​IMG]

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

32g residual sugar. Fresh acidity. Tropical fruits. Balanced (aside from the young, brash & fresh acidity). Distinct minerality. Nice.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Principle

Principle Senior member

Since when do vineyards post sugar content? I worked at a vineyard and that was a pretty guarded secret.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's not unusual for Riesling, especially when there's multiple styles of Riesling coming out of the same winery.

3 people like this.
  10. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

+1, and becoming more and more common. Sugar is a closely guarded secret at many wineries only to disguise the amount of residual that's in their "dry" wines.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think many Canadian wines specify a range of RS on their labels. If memory serves they have it broken down into 1-5 type thing meaning 1 has x to y amount of RS, 2 has...

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

That sounds like the LCBO sugar code system, which some Canadian wineries may have adopted just to fall into line. They since changed it to an alpha system which is more descriptive. You do see sweet wine producers noting residual fairly frequently, especially ice wines where they are almost "bragging" about how much residual they have left after fermentation.

1 person likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's been awhile since I've had the "joy" of a VQA. :)

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]
    Very nice. This is the second Barolo I've drunk, and the first one was a young 20 € one from Damilano. This one has some age to it. Obviously still quite young, and would benifit from, I guess, 2-10 years more cellaring, but it's already drinkable and delicious. Red berries, oak, strong tannins and fresh acidity (yeah, very descriptive, right?). I also have the 2010 Cannubi which I'll probably let sit for another year, possibly longer.

2 people like this.
  15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Meaning you don't like it enough to spend that or don't like any Rioja under $30?

16. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I was offered the job I've been hoping I'd get for the last six years. Planning to celebrate with a bottle of Salon when I sign on the line. A couple stores in town have the '99. Was this a pretty good year or is there another vintage I should try to track down?

4 people like this.
  17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

don't know about Salon specifically but for champs generally, '96 was epic and '02 slightly less epic.

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

That's awesome news, congrats!:slayer:

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Congrats! Make sure you don't lose a finger opening that bottle. ;)

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

first of all, congrats!! Lots of exciting new job stuff happening to SF people!

don't go out of your way to find another vintage. At the end of the day, Salon is going to be outstanding. Yes, '96 is epic, but you'll pay dearly for it. Buy from the store that has the best storage conditions.

also, don't rule out other heavyweights like DP Rose and DP Oeno. I've been lucky enough to try a few vintages of these, and they are truly outstanding.

1 person likes this.