1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Yes, but you can buy it at auction. I love aged champagne and have frequently purchased at auction, usually winebid. I find that great aged champagne can generally be a good value relative to great aged still wines. There are exceptions, Krug, Salon come to mind, but generally speaking, you can get stuff from the large houses, like 90 Dom, 88 Pol Roger Winston Churchill, etc, for less than three bills/bottle at auction.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

And I tire of the constant poo-poo'ing of wine pricing. It is what it is, it isn't fraud... we're not all coupon clippers.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I love port. My wife's late grandmother really got me into Tawny. It's not a "true" Tawny Port, but Penfolds Grandfather is nice- it's Australian. That's my go-to, but it hovers around $80 CDN so it hasn't I haven't stocked it since the baby arrived. I've found there seems to be a big difference between 10 year and 20 year, but not a big difference between 20 year and 30+ age statements, but my experience with the older Tawny is limited to the odd sip at a restaurant, not an entire bottle to compare. Manton said they get pricey and I don't think it's totally worth the cost of admission.

My favourite time to drink Port is after a big dinner and out on the deck or patio on a cool summer evening, maybe with a cigar. Don't usually drink it during any other season for some reason. Maybe it's just the association I have with it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Where do you go about looking for these re-released champagnes?

Thanks! Will look at winebid. Do you find it worthwhile to age champagnes yourself or do you generally buy it when needed?

6. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

Really very nice. Well balanced, dark fruits, some black pepper and leather. Wish I had more. :(

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I do both. The oldest stuff in my cellar I bought on release is 1996. I buy older stuff at auction to drink while waiting for the younger stuff to age.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chinon was insanely awesome. Tasted like a great Pinot noir.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

Love me some Gavi di Gavi.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

indeed. Chinon is a weird region ... it's either cool/interesting wine, or it's beef stew in a bottle.

1 person likes this.
  12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Aged Chinon can be had for cheap. Last year I landed a '76 from K&L for about $45 and it was an awesome experience.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

They had older ones, but the prices went up dramatically pre-2000. This one was $35, which I think was a steal.

14. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Now living in Victoria, BC. Only sub med climate in Canada, but still difficult to grow good reds. Some pretty good Pinots, though. Looking forward to visiting the Okanagen on the mainland. It's the only place in Canada that can produce excellent wine.

Tasting in Cowichan Valley last week. It's way warmer than Finger Lakes and Ontario, but produces similar wines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lucien Boillot, Pommard, 2007. Zachys for $70. Impulse buy. A very nice wine. I'd love it at $50, but it's not an insult at $70.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

summer in the Finger Lakes can be blazing and miserable, and then the winters turn to be completely frigid

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Over the weekend one of the bottles I had was a Cardwell Hill Pinot, 2011. For around $20 it's a heck of a good drinking wine.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Minervois anyone? Another Frenchie with which I have zilch experience short of Viognier. I do find myself liking majority-carignan wines.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think I observed in February or March that Carignan is all the rage. It was the most plowed under vine in France's "wine lake" in the big replanting efforts.