1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Kenny Cosgrove said 53 Margaux is the best.

1 person likes this.
  2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Lately I have been enjoying wine more than my cocktails and scotch, so I have just been drinking stock, which is a shame as I am running low on red and have not really been replacing it.

Anyway, '06 Dead Arm, which was a little disappointing. Mid palate it was just dead. Also, worst photo I have ever taken of a bottle of wine.

[​IMG]

Far better was a $12 bottle of Ch. Beauchene that has been waiting since '04. Now that was lovely.

~ H

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Among the best. Last night with rack of lamb.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. audiophilia

Lovely Okanagen with friends.

[​IMG]

5. audiophilia

...and a nice, zingy Tempranillo.

[​IMG]

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of which, the Antico went up to $11.99. I'm pissed.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Manton would find that for $8

2 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

He is a god among men.

1 person likes this.
  9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yep, did a search. The NJ stores just outside of Manhattan are selling it for $8 and change. Plus, presumably, a case discount.

I'd make a "Manton is out to get some" joke, but I know he already has a bunch on hand.

10. patrickBOOTH

I buy a case at a time from Jim's, or Joe's or whatever that place is for a lousy 10% discount.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

just realized that only 3 bottles qualifies you for a discount at BQE

12. patrickBOOTH

Depends on what you buy. The better stuff yes, the poor man's stuff that I buy no.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

This is pretty fine. Bright, good acidity. Fairly heavy.

1 person likes this.
  14. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

This seems like a contradiction.

2 people like this.
  15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Not at all. At least in my vocab.
    Bigger bodied, full, but plenty of acidity. Not Pinot Noir.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  16. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Good for you, Audio! Road 13 makes some lovely wines, most interesting if you can find it is their sparking Chenin which is a nice homage to Vouvray.

BC Syrah holds some real promise, I think, and I have been impressed with Nichol Vineyard's version which is peppery and a bit austere - more northern Rhone in style than Australian.

17. concealed

concealed Senior member

I like Alice Feiring's two books

18. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]
    Natural orange wine. I drink mostly beer, and my favorite style is lambic so maybe this is unfair, but this is great. I gave it to 8 other people who drink mostly beer, and they all loved it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Stone

Stone Senior member

Yup, I opened a bottle of Joly Coulee de Serrant for some sour beer loving friends, and they were blown away.

20. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Last night my wine storage facility hosted a tasting for Heidi Barrett's La Sirena label. Heidi's oldest daughter Remi was there presenting the wines. I didn't take any detailed notes, but here are some impressions.

Started the night with the 2013 Moscato Azul. Really outstanding dry style moscato. Very crisp with good acid. Maybe the perfect summer food wine. At $28 a bottle it was half the price or less of anything else we'd taste, but was really awesome. Not exactly a bargain, but it was the bargain of the night. I wound up ordering a case for summer drinking.

Next was a red Rhone blend called Le Barrettage, which was explained to us to be a takeoff on L'Hermitage. The wine was 75% Syrah, with Grenache and Petite Syrah in the blend. IIRC they were pouring the 2008, but had the 2011 for sale. The wine (as with all the wines we tasted) were really well made and balanced. It was followed by the 2006 Syrah (again, they were selling the 2011). Most of the people at my table preferred the blend. Personally, I preferred the Syrah and bought half a case. These wines went for around $68 a bottle IIRC.

Next we sampled the 2011 "Pirate" which if I heard her correctly was a blend of 11 (!) different grapes. It was fine. I didn't find it particularly engaging. Again, well made and balanced, just not that interesting. Don't remember the price but around $70 or so I think.

The last two wines were the big boys. We tasted the 2011 La Sirena Cabernet Sauvignon (~$145) and the 2011 Barrett & Barrett (~$250). They weren't actually selling the B&B last night. We were told that the La Sirena is blended from purchased grapes sourced from particular plots/growers that Heidi trusts. The B&B is all estate grown fruit. Of the two I think I preferred the La Sirena, although neither really made me want to stock up. The La Sirena had been decanted (no idea how long) but the B&B was served from the bottle. I was very excited to try the B&B since I had purchased a three pack of their first vintage (2008) blind upon release. These wines generated a lot of discussion at the table. Several folk thought they were fantastic. I'm still undecided on them. I found both wines to be fairly uninspiring to be honest. Don't get me wrong, nothing was out of place or offensive. We were not tasting blind and I readily admit to holding them to the standard of their price. If I'm going to pop a $150-$250 bottle of wine I think that I should still have some pretty high expectations. They weren't meeting them last night.

That could be for any number of reasons. First, these wines were babies. I kept saying that they were tight, and they were, but I was looking for something underneath that might come out later but my palate wasn't sophisticated enough to find it. Despite the age, neither wine was particularly tannic, so it wasn't that. Just not sure that for the bottles/years we tasted that there is going to be much "there" there. Second, I think that the 2011 was not a particularly good vintage in Napa, right? Could that have something to do with this? Could be. I'm still hoping my 2008s might have a bit more.

Anyway...fun night of tasting. Bought a little wine. So that's good.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    2 people like this.