1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Lulz

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I wish! He owns a dwelling in some nearby mountains. Last fall he invited us up and I told him he can no longer call it his cabin but rather needs to use air quotes for "cabin." He laughed and asked me why so I told him 10k sq feet and five master suite type bedrooms is a "cabin" and not a cabin.

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ that is more like a lodge.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

IMO this is too long. If a wine is old, I only decant for sediment and not for aeration because I enjoy the way a wine changes over the course of 2-3 hours.

This was especially true with the 2000 La Tache that Manton and i had. Such a tremendous wine, and each sniff and sip was different.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, we had a 76 Chinon last fall and we decanted strictly for sediment using a decanter that's sort of "fat" in the reservoir part which gives minimal surface contact. Good thing, as a wine that when opened was wonderfully fruity and balanced, became thin and all acid by the time we finished. Luckily it was three of us so only about 1/5th of the bottle was left when it suddenly just died.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Exactly my approach. I've seldom had an older wine I would want opening aka dissipating for hours. Youngin's on the other hand... can help. a bit.

7. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a...45.JPG/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/?tn=1335772309

In my search for a daily drinker, I picked up these four at Total Wine and finished them over the holidays. To my surprise and enjoyment, I liked all of them. The Zin at $16.99 is not in my daily budget range, but the others are all around $11 or $12. I recently bought another bottle of each for a final test to see which one will become my daily sipper. These are all superior to any wines I have tried in that price range.

I can safely recommend them.

This is my first picture post. Did I do it correctly?

Cheers,

8. NathalieMartin

NathalieMartin Active Member

Anyone ever had wine from Some Young Punks?

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't try any young punk's wine.

10. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

On sale at Fresh Direct this week, worth a stab for $17? I knew someone had mentioned it before. I was thinking of ordering a few, you like it the Pinot?

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

def. worth $17. I had some last night as a matter of fact. It's a really nice and well rounded pinot that can be had on the cheap. There may be a better Cali pinot for the price, but I haven't had it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

$17 is pretty good for the regular pinkish label stuff. They're not overextracted oak bombs but they are a little fruitier and hotter than I like.

I'm not a fan of the style but I really like the clenenden and Mendelsohn side labels as well. For the price and age I think they're a good deal but haven't seen them outside of california.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yeah, ABC is a little on the fruity side, but I don't mind it. I see it as a touch of California.

thankfully, it's not even close to some of the grape juice style pinots that have come out of Cali.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Speaking of which- Opened a bottle of 2009 Sea Smoke Ten last weekend. Promising at open but turned into a very Cali pinot as it opened up... lots of oak, very jammy. On the whole, well-made, balanced for what it is. Not hot at all for being 15% Not my style though and glad I didn't pay $80+ for it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I find the Sea Smoke wines to be the poster children for the super sappy high alcohol style in California.

1 person likes this.
  16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've actually never had Sea Smoke, mostly because I've had a hard time finding it since it's so hyped. I was on the Kosta list for two years, but sold my second year allocation after having tasted my first year allocation.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sea Smoke was one of my "uh huh" wines. They were always very fruit forward but I remember being quite entranced as the bottle opened up. This was about ten years ago, and as I told CG, they changed wine makers in 2008 and has been different ever since. I stopped buying them at that point and now chuckle to find the owners have "California's Grand Cru" or something like that on the label. I will forever look back fondly on that bottle we had.

18. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Tried a bottle of 2008 Travaglini Gattinara (in the super weird shaped bottle) since it seemed like it might be a slightly cheaper alternative to Barbaresco. It tasted like water with some tannins in it. Just no discernible flavor. Did I just buy some crappy wine or did I experience wine in its dumb phase?

[​IMG]

19. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I've not had this one, so I don't know if it's crappy or in a dumb phase, but Gattinara is predominantly Nebbiolo grown in Northern Piemonte, where it's cooler than Barolo, etc, hence you will typically end up with wines that are lighter than Barolo/Barbaresco, et al. The wines are typically even longer lived than Barolo, I've had some from the fifties and sixties that were remarkable.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If you want a cheaper barbaresco I would find some langhes by decent producers. A lot of them are declassified barbarescos either cuz the producer wasn't happy with the vintage, or are from younger vines, or are in a less optimal block next to a better block

I find that oregon pinots (especially Dundee hills and temperance hill) are generally more my style for west coast pinot with the exception of a one or two vintages. Who're some Cali producers of pinot on the more reserved side? I'm looking for less fruity and somewhat more acidic than abc

1 person likes this.