1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't drink while I make dinner generally. "I like to keep my palate clean."

2. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I bought a zazzol one on Amazon. I use it mainly for less expensive daily drinking bottles and save the decanter for the better, older more delicate wines. I think it works well for those younger wines.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Opinions on '92 Latour?

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Confused. What is the point of cooking if you're not using it as an excuse to drink wine?

:puzzled:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

I use eating as an excuse to drink wine.

1 person likes this.
  6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the key to a "cook's wine" is to pop it at the correct moment. Too early and you'll end up fucking up any good knife work, or forgetting you have stuff in the oven and have to stumble on a chair to get the screaming smoke detector, or you forget to make entire courses, or you'll just relax on the couch after you eat and will be too lazy/buzzed to remember that you have to put the leftovers away.

ask me how i know.

4 people like this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

I generally don't drink and cook at the sam time because it slows down my meal preparation. Having to stop to take a drink throughout cooking is actually kind of annoying to me. I generally want to prepare my food in the fastest way possible and then enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

On non-work days I almost always drink while cooking.

Now, 92 Latour?

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

see, I enjoy cooking, and I generally make 4+ courses for my weekend dinner. It takes a while, but I love it.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's always note worthy, but the vintage will dictate the style a bit

11. patrickBOOTH

I know this about you, but during the week I am generally busy and everything is a rush until my head hits the pillow.

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've not had it but 92 was a lame vintage. Unlike some of the other weak vintanges in the 90s, like 94 and 97, which are light in style but basically decent, the 92s were pretty much all water. I bought a good deal of 94s and 97s for mid-length aging because the prices were really low but I didn't get any 92s.

if the price on this is really low, it migh be worth a lark, but I wouldn't expect much.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks. I was out for dinner with a friend last night and he apparently has a case tucked away that was given to him on release. Knows nothing about wines so it won't be a huge disappointment. I looked it up on one of the auction sites and it's selling for between $3-500. It's the Hong Kong auctions where it cracks the $400 mark.

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Latour is the most consistent of the big houses, and the most agressive about de-classifying under-ripe or otherwise unsuitable grapes. So, if anyone made a good wine that year, they did. However, that price is insane. Would pay $100 for a botlle, maybe, on a lark, but not a cent more.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'd totally unload the case then. Get the cash.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm not going to tell him the case of wine he's had stashed for two decades is meh. As he knows nothing about wine I'm sure it's not been stored properly, and if this is so, tell him not to expect too much from it.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i can see the point of not wanting to be the buzz kill, but at the same point this guy knows nothing about wine anyways, and that case of wine he probably paid very little for in 1993 is now worth a lot of bucks. If there's no real sentimental value attached to it, and if the bottles are in solid condition, I'd let him know that people will pay a lot for it. Maybe drink 2 and sell 10, etc.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I see what you're saying, but while he might know nothing about wine, he's worth somewhere north of $30 million (for realz) so I'm going with the non-buzzkill route if possible.

19. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Speaking of decanting older wine.. what are people's generally opinions?
    How long would you decant say, a 10 year, 15 year, etc. old bottle?
    I will usually decant a 10 yr old bottle of Brunello, Right-bank Bord., Barolo, etc. for about 2-3 hours

I've read some critics say to decant older wines for many hours (3+) to really open their true expression after being stored in a bottle for so long, while some say decant them less to retain the fruit...

Perhaps it's just personal preference for style of wine.

20. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Hoping he'll adopt you?