1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had a couple several years ago and don't remember them well. I remember being impressed with her Chard but I know they make well received Pinots too. The Pinots just didn't stick out in my mind as different from your typical RRV although they might for all I know. It's a quality producer so I'm sure the Pinots are well made.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thanks. Will report back around Christmas.

3. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Had a little holiday dinner last night. Started with Artemis, followed by Prisoner and ending with Peppoli. And the food was decent.

4. alexg

alexg Senior member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Do you have a lot of experience with sherry? If not, which I assume, buy a few cheaper ones. Gonzales Byass, Tradicion etc. have lots of good (great) stuff in the 80 €/750 ml region (20-30 years aged). You could pick up a bottle of Gonzales Byass Matusalem (pedro ximenez/oloroso blend--pretty unique, I think) too.

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

Had a bottle of Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga 2011 with a nice boneless leg of lamb, not mind boggling, but good companion to hearty food.

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

I don't have much experience with Sherry, although I would be sharing the bottle with people who know far more than me. I just don't know if it's the kind of thing worth jumping on, or if it's not worth the price. For what it's worth, 190 is cheaper than any other price I've seen.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sherry in itself is pretty good value, ime. I'd say get a few demi-bottles in the 40 € range. You'll learn more, and they'll certainly appreciate it.

9. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Right. A couple of bottle of Equipo Navazos La Bota would be much more attractive idea.

10. alexg

alexg Senior member

I think a lot of the La Bota lineup is available in the US, and probably for roughly the same price or cheaper. I'm looking for things that are special and not exported from Europe. And I'm not ruling out buying cheaper bottles as well, I'm only limited on what I can carry. I'm just wondering if that specific bottle is worth the price, or if there's little difference between it and a cheaper sherry.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member

Current bottled companion is '09 Wynns Black Label Cab Sav.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

one of the few '66s that might have actually made it to 2014. depending on storage of course.

14. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

What's up with that Palmer label?

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

maybe a re-label from BBR?

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, I sort of vaguely know this from books but not direct experience.

There were a handful of firms in London, all of them in St. James, I think, that would get barrels direct from chateaux and bottle the wine themselves with their own labels. This is described in various novels, particularly Trollope.

Occasionally--VERY occasionally--I see wines on restaurant lists that marked as "Ch. Margeaux, bottled by Barton & Gustier" or some such.

But 1966 is very late for this practice to still be going on. Not that I am sure it wasn't, only that from what I have read, it was most common prior to WW1.

No doubt David knows more.

17. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Just picked up a bottle of:

Louis Brochet-Hervieux Premier Cru 1999 Champagne

and

x2 Loacker Corte Pavone Brunello di Mont. 2008
    x2 La Mannella Brunello di Mont. 2008

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

2010 Marchesi di Barolo Cannubi or 2008 Marchese di Barolo Sarmassa? (same price) Will be consumed in the next six months which is why I tend towards the latter (more age).

19. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Yes to your thought, though personally I would tend not to drink Barolo so young. I would go with Cannubi as it is generally regarded as the better cru than Sarmassa, however the producer is an excellent one, so you're probably safe with either. I do know that 2008 is quite a good vintage... haven't read much on 2010 Barolo yet.