1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. concealed

concealed Senior member

You are the man. This list of suggestions should keep me going for at least a year. Seriously. I work in Springfield, Table & Vine is my regular haunt. Live closer to Boston, have been meaning to check out Bottega in the North End when I get to the city and I have been to Gordon's, for beer incidentally, but will stop in next time I am in that area. I also like Curtis Liquors in Weymouth, closer to where my parents live.

FWIW, I used the natural moniker only because it's a recognizable adjective for the types of wines I like. I am not philosophically opposed to adding sulfur/other treatments, my palate just happens to appreciate this type of wine over the super-oaky California stuff.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

After how the last time I raised my Beauj love went I'm happy to see the turn this thread has taken. :inlove:

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Mr. Sensitive still nursing a boo boo?

Beauj is boring, IMO. Food friendly, versatile, (mostly) OK value, all that.

But boring.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Don't h8 now that I have friends to play with too.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Lots of good stuff to explore in the Loire. I find Chinon to be hit-or-miss, with the misses sometimes resulting in gross wines, but the hits can be great. +1 on the Luneau rec.

Vouvray is also awesome to explore.

Also had a number of really solid roses from the Loire (I forget the exact AOC designations, if any).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I once gave a ten minute talk on "What is Vouvray?"

[​IMG]

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

great line of a great movie

the actual line is something like "what the fuck was that 10 minute talk of .... vouvray?? Pull yourself together man"

1 person likes this.
  8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

update on the Mondavi book: butts are still sore.

9. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I never put together until recently that Paul Giamatti is the son of Bart Giamatti, former Commissioner of Baseball.

10. Principle

Principle Senior member

Hey y'all I'm taking out someone special tonight to a French restaurant. I've picked out two bottles of red that I feel really good about. I need some suggestions for a white that wouldn't be an obscure find. Thanks!

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you realize that's an impossible question without a wine list?

12. Principle

Principle Senior member

It's BYOB, my apologies about not being explicit.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

oh, makes sense.

I guess when in France, have white Burgundy. Anything from the producers Joseph Drouhin or Leflaive (either Oliver or Domaine ... the latter will be more $$) are always good bets.

Chablis too: Moreau and Dauvissat are choice.

1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2009. This opens up so nicely after a bit of "decanting". Kinda sad that I picked up only 10 bottles at 12 € each.

15. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

And former president of Yale! Lore has it that the dude only became commissioner of baseball because someone overheard him saying that what he'd really wanted to be in his life is commissioner. First heard about this from my grad school advisor, who had been at Yale early in his career and was friends with Giamatti. Apparently he remembers Paul as the kid who played in his backyard with his son.

16. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

2006 Tomassi Amarone Classico & 2011 Francis Coppola Cab Sauv last night with dinner

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did a little shopping this weekend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a case of RRV Pinot (Dutton Goldfield).

1 person likes this.
  18. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Drank this tonight with veal chops w/ roquefort butter, sautéed French string beans and roast potatoes.
    It drank wonderfully- in its sweet spot.

[​IMG]

19. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Totally disagree. Foillard (particularly the 3.14 cuvee) and Metras make some very interesting and delicious wines. Anything but boring.....

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yeah, it should be interesting and delicious for $39 a bottle (accoriding to Crush, which I realize prices things on the high side).

I am much more interested in some of the $25 Nebbiolos. Different wine from a Beauj, no doubt, though they tend to have similar characteristics (food friendly, interesting, versatile, can take a little big of age and improve, etc.)