1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'll be back someday. family in the area

2. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Ordered some BV BeauRouge. Any have experience with this wine?

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

it was great. very masculine. lots of tobacco leathery notes. the fruit and the alcohol is well balanced, but you can feel the 14.5% ABV. i dont think it was particularly well stored, but I got it for cheaper than what half bottles are going for with the same vintage so it's not too bad.

also had a 2009 bouchard pere et fils savigny les beaune that was just fantastic. my kind of wine. i could see age adding a lot more, but i thought it tasted nicely now

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

For Gomey, had 2009 Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano d'Abruzzo tonight. Imminently drinkable.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

This is a very nice d'Abruzzo for the bargain hunters -

[​IMG]

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

nice, it's one part of Italy I haven't explored much. There's a lot of jug-style d'Abruzzo, and a good amount of wine that falls into the category of "delicious wine". I guess my hesitation has been from waryness of hoping for the latter but actually buying the former from a store that simply marked one up (and I obviously don't know of the good producers yet). I guess I've always seen it as a versatile summer red, and I base that off of a very limited sample size.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i think they own a few monople vineyards in Beaune (enfants is one of them), so it's probably a combination of these vineyards. I'm not the biggest Bouchard fan, but their cellars are pretty cool.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Beaune and savigny les beaune are separate villages that are right next to each other near the middle of cote de beaune. Pretty sure you can't mix the two and still call it a savigny les beaune. (I got confused once as well at that wine bar across the street from grammercy tavern and the sommelier was kind enough to bring out a map of burgundy to explain. She was pretty hot too)

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the Beaune designations are kind of weird, but that's probably because I've put little thought into them. Beaune itself is a walled-in city (or maybe it's not a wall but a road, I forget even though I've been there), and then there's a smattering of vineyards outside, and then you hit Pommard. I'd have to re-look at my Burgundy map to figure out what is what. The problem is if I find a small winery with a monopole plot just outside of Beaune, odds are I'd still be better off with the excellent $20 Drouhin Savigny.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beaune is more than a village, I think. Not that it's huge, but it's a town, at least. yes, there is a wall. I don't recall savigny les beaune at all, and I am pretty sure I went there

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beaune has some really good food.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I've seen that too and it can suck. But there's really good value and well done juice there.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

in anticipation of drinking a bunch of old Mondavi wines, I started reading a book on the Mondavi empire.

whole lot of :slapfight:

15. sdpappy

sdpappy Member

What vintages of the old Mondavi's? I still have a bottle of the 66 that I haven't opened. The Charles Krug winery made some amazing 74. Lot F is awesome for 74.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I have a bottle of Martini '66 that I haven't opened.

i actually forgot the exact vintages of Mondavi. Bought a mixed lot at auction, the youngest is early 70's, and a bunch from like '81, '84, and '85.

17. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Levi Dalton has a nice podcast interview with Tim Mondavi - you can get it here: http://illdrinktothatpod.com/

18. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Just opened 2009 Chateau Cantelys- Pessac Leognan. I think it is a Bordeaux. I bought it just to compare to my search for a daily drinker. It is much better than any of the < $10 wines I have been trying. It also has a strong kick.

It was about $35 at Total with a very high rating (WS 93?).

Any experience out there?

Cheers,

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

wine spectator ratings are stupid.

Adn $35 is Friday night wine.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

$35 is way too much for a daily wine.

1 person likes this.