1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

2. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Those are really great pictures.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was in full blown "old school" mode. I think Togni has been making wine in Napa since the 50s.

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Actually since the early 80s.

Do you think people might want to know something about the wines you drank, other than what the bottles looked like? Were they good? What was your impression of them?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

He's been under his own label since then but I think he started making wine in Napa back in the 50s.

I don't know why I don't post anything about what the wines taste like anymore but it seems the thread has evolved away from such comments so I have just been following what I felt was the new protocol and only posting pics lately.

The Zin is as far away from a Turley style Zin as you can get. Yes, it had nice fruit, deep purple colours, but it had structure and tannins such that I'm sure it would continue to improve for several years yet. I decided to decant and am glad I did for two reasons. First was sediment but second was the alcohol was showing hot until it opened up. Once open it was full of dark fruit, medium/firm tannins, and much less opulent than what most folks think of when they think Zin. A very nice change.

The Tongi was something our chef friend picked to pair with this insane 48 oz tomahawk cut ribeye dish he's trying out to carve table side. The Tongi could have gone another two decades but was drinking nicely and paired perfectly with the well marbled meat. Much more Old World style but a fair amount of new oak I'd hazard a guess to say and I would say this is the opposite of Parkerized Napa Cabs in summary. A shame it was so young but enjoyable just the same with a distinct coffee note to it. It continued to open the rest of the evening showing more dark fruits as time went on.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. b1os

b1os Senior member

:p ^As good a last time. Yes, still very young, but already so good. The aftertaste could be a little longer and more complex but that's the only thing I can criticize. Delicious.

Also had a Marchesi di Barolo "Le Selezioni" Gavi di Gavi yesterday. Very dry and kind of flabby. Not my kind of gavi.

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Raphet M-S-D 2006. Very damned good wine. Not familiar with this producer but the Zachy's people vouched, and I am happy.

I am far, far from a Burg expert. But given my first experiences with Burg 20 years ago, I am amazed at how Burg is built these days. 8-y/o village wine and it's fresh as a daisy.

I think I still like my Burgs on the younger side than I like Bord, but this has miles to go.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

love the glass

1 person likes this.
  10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

[​IMG]

drank great. Perfect mix of age, youth, and structure. Not as big as a Barolo/Barbaresco, nor was it as floral, but it was still really nice. Perfect with mushrooms, which i was pretty much forced to make thanks to a broken fridge.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That wine was great. I was surprised how meaty it was. Like you said it brought out the mushrooms wonderfully. If I was a baller I'd drink this every night.

12. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

are you guys living together now or you're not ready for that step yet?

3 people like this.
  13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

no, i had to have people over to eat food from my broken fridge.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Right that was the only reason... :nodding:

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

there were more peeps later on, too. Killed all the wine I planned to savor throughout the week.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Marchesi di Barolo Gavi also tastes weird.

17. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Well then... [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Probably the most complex and layered wine I've ever witnessed. Really, really, really complex but also very nuanced. was different with each passing minute.
    Not big by any means. Lots of graphite, maybe a little spruce/woodsiness. Plenty of fruit throughout.
    More vanilla than I care for in but still... It's not often that I say a wine needs another several years but this certainly has a lot to give up yet when it opens more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Picked up a bottle each of:

2005 Bollig-Lehnert Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Spatlese
    2007 Dr. Hermann Urziger Wurtzgarten Spatlese
    2008 Schloss Schonborn Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Kabinett