1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been enjoying Langhe Nebbiolos a lot lately, great wine for $20-$25 and typically can be drink young.

So I tried a Langhe bianco. Didn't like it as much as I hoped I would, for $17.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had a Villa Creek rose with sole meuniere and a simple salad last night. It was an excellent dinner.

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I really like the Borgogno Langhe Nebbiolo, it's pretty reliable. What's the bianco, Arneis?

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Paolo Scavino, whose Nebbiolo I like a lot. The white was meh.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

IIRC Langhe Bianco is usually Sauv Blanc & Chard

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

from what i understand langhe bianco can use a lot of different varietals. i had a langhe bianco from vajra that was made of riesling. i think arneis and vermentino (its called something else there tho. i forget what) are the more traditional grapes

[​IMG]

2011 thibault liger-belair bourgogne. I think les grand chaillots is to indicate its a lieu dit but not too sure. thicker and richer than i like in burgundy and its 13% but its quite nice. i think i paid $25. has a little bit of that old oak taste and some nice minty eucalyptus violet secondary flavors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tried a canned wine for the first time. have to say it was actually not bad and it was $8 for the can (375 mL) (look like only $12 for the bottle). that fruity west coast pinot flavor and the color was very pretty. doesn't specify a vintage and i feel like they buy grapes maybe even the wine and just bottle/can it. i don't think they use oak at all. i loled at #pinkiesdown

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

This was alive and well last night.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's a good resource for reading about certain vintages of wines?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

usually the regionally specific books have lots of information about vintage

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, but how about current vintages that are being released?

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I usually get that kind of stuff from wine mailing lists and such--View from the Cellar, Mosel Fine Wines, etc. It's not a centralized source, but they generally have vintage reports for the regions they cover.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the only vintage report i usually care about is one that says "drink later"

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Robert Parker and wine enthusiast publishes vintage charts but they're kind of general. Like I think the Robert Parker just does numerical scores

Jancis Robinson writes detailed assesments but I think it's behind a paywall.

A lot of the specialized wine writers do vintage assessments but a lot of them use paywalls (eg allen meadows and burghound)

Clive Coates publishes detailed vintage assessments for burgundy on his website for free which I really like. Far more useful than a subjective numerical number. It's just kind of hard to find. You just have to google Clive Coates vintage 2012 for example

I really don't find numbers useful at all. So much depends on the producer and the land that a general number for the whole region is kind of useless

To add to what aravanel said the large wine retail stores and importers and distributors (like zachys or sherry Lehman or Michael skurnik) will send out a lot of good info on their mailing list about the incoming vintage in addition to their sale plugs.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  14. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

^ Slightly similar is the idea of putting your wine in the blender. Anyone here ever tried that?

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

^Hyperdecanting. Still haven't tried it.

Had a bottle of Marchese Antinori Chianti Classio Riserva 09 yesterday. Always a solid choice.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

I generally use WS for reading up on vintages. They go back to about 2005/6 from what I can find.
    They include comments on the vintages from local producers so you possibly get a more rounded picture?

Ex. California 2012 vintage (details for other countries/regions can be found under 'Harvest 2012')
    http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/47632

1 person likes this.
  17. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Wine in a blender? I thought you were supposed to be gentle with wine. Oh well, that just goes to show how much I know. Seriously, I know zilch about wines, but.........

Cheers,

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Have had blenderized wines... improved a couple. Btu mostly it made them too, too soft for my liking - yet the guy doing it and his friends loved it. They like weak wines IMO.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you don't have to be gentle with wine, nor should you drink a wine that needs time in a blender.