• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did a tasting at Core Wine Company because I can stroll to their tasting room from my parents' place. Wasn't blown away by anything, really. Got a glass of their best wine, and I liked that well enough. Will probably do more tastings either in the Santa Ynez area or in Paso Robles with some friends on Tuesday.

I know David Corey- good guy, a real farmer who loves to get his hands dirty. Every year his wines are different. He's always experimenting, mixing odd varietals and the like, bless him. But the results are that every year his wines differ greatly... sometimes good, sometimes not and always a little odd.

Opolo- not my style-but if you like fruit bombs... like many do, their Zin is popular for that reason.. Again- a good bunch of people.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^His wife was running the tasting room. She seemed really, really nice. She mentioned that her husband studied entomology, which I thought was interesting.

My first time trying California tempranillo; not sure I loved it, but glad I did.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^His wife was running the tasting room. She seemed really, really nice. She mentioned that her husband studied entomology, which I thought was interesting.
My first time trying California tempranillo; not sure I loved it, but glad I did.

Yeah- great couple. David went to Kansas State to study bugs and plants. He's like Hamacher- really understands the science.
Don't judge Cali tempranillo by David's work ;) - but then, I have never had a Cali tempranillo I liked ;) ;)

That said- I have at least one bottle Core's Temp around here somewhere...

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Domaine de la Chaponne Morgon, 2009 tonight. Great summer read. Just easy drinking and full of fruit. Nice value at $14.

Oh, L'Aventure is anything but fancy. Seriously, do it. Very rustic. Hint: when you come to the two gates and the end of the dirt road, it's the lower one on the left that you want to ring the buzzer to.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tonight, some Chateau Vrai Canon Bouché 2003, from Canon-Fronsac. I can't remember if this was an $8 cheapie, or a $15 one. But it was one of the nicer miracles from the great Californian vintage. Excellent house red.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a 2010 L'Adventure Viognier last night. Very nice floral nose with lemon tastes. Paired with pesto shrimp and it was awesome. Hope you went there, Eric.

Quatsch

Reaction score

Had a 2010 L'Adventure Viognier last night. Very nice floral nose with lemon tastes. Paired with pesto shrimp and it was awesome. Hope you went there, Eric.

Whats the origin? V.d.P. from somewhere? Viognier is a really cool grape when done well - acidity being its biggest problem.

Also interestingly - as I've said before, Viognier does pretty well in Virginia and at Chrysalis last year we put some of our Viognier into Acacia wood barrels, which is supposed to add aromatic qualities to a white wine. Its a pretty new thing and I have not had the chance to try the wines produced from this.

Eric Texier does a v.d.p. (or maybe vin de France?) Viognier from Condrieu thats made with a Mosel Kabinett being the stylistic ideal - a friend of mine did a tasting with him in France and apparently its pretty cool. He picks super early for this, but I guess Viognier from a good site has so much aromatics that it works out. One of the shops in town is getting it in soon and I can't wait to try.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
L'Adventure is one of the more notable and established Paso Robles grower/producers. Think Stephan has been there nearly 20 years, and based on conversations at the tasting room over Xmas, he grows all his own grapes.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, my SB friends don't want to trek all the way to Paso. Starting at Foxen., which I've meant to try anyways.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Alas, my SB friends don't want to trek all the way to Paso. Starting at Foxen., which I've meant to try anyways.

I did that drive just a few months ago and think it was all of 120 miles...you can even stop in Los Olivos and taste quite a few there.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I went to Los Olivos with these same friends last time I was in town. Did you find any good restaurants in the area? My parents are decidedly not fine dining folks but I'd like to have a good place in mind for occasions. Ballard Inn seems to get local buzz.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We only stopped for a few hours tasting. It was in the middle of our arduous drive from Paso to SB. :laugh:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2012-06-25165515.jpg

Enjoyed it greatly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics