1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Got an odd deal on Saturday. My wine distributor friend has this deal with a local market so he can sell wine to people directly. He gave me a call and said there were two baker's dozen cases waiting for me, go take a look, and if I wanted them they were a flat $7 a bottle. We drove down and pawed through them and bought. Here's a couple bottles from the stash and if anyone knows anything about them let me know:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Powertrip

Powertrip Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As I posted in the what are you drinking now thread.. I just moved to Saint Augustine, Florida and this is made by the local winery.

Supposedly, because many are not familiar with the Muscadine grape, people assume that the very undry and sweet nature of this grape assume it is just tourist swill.

All I can say is: I LIKE IT! I would nt take this recommendation anywhere near the same level as some of the experts on here, but I think I've finally found a wine I would drink regularly.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Devkit (A1723)

3. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Powertrip

Powertrip Well-Known Member

So, Styleforum is two for two on calling me out on that lol. I figured, if people can say they're sending their messages from the death star I can send from a fictitious phone, LoL.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Devkit (A1723)

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Morrells in Rockefeller plaza has a Louis Jadot tasting right now with four cote de nuits. 15% discount on those but after chatting a bit with them they offered 15% off any Jadot wines but not grand cru. 2010 marsannay for like $17. Yes please

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who the fuck drinks Louis Jadot? :confused:

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

people who drink delicious wine.

looks like the 2010 marsannay blanc is going for about $30 elsewhere. they had a single vineyard ("les drazeys") chambolle musigny for $55 after the discount that was very elegant. looks like the closest price is $73.

:( maybe i should go back and get that and drink it with PB

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Jadot makes alot of wine, I mean a lot of fucking wine. Many of them are actually really good.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The whites are better than the reds IME. The cheap whites are mostly pretty good. The reds I've had most recently have disappointed, but it's been a while.

1 person likes this.
  10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I agree. The Chassagne Montrachet La Romanee is a wonderful wine.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Jadot can be solid, but Drouhin is soooooo much better as far as the big negociant houses go.

1 person likes this.
  12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

especially true at the $15-30 price point. His basic Beaune red is like $20 and my go-to for delicious Burgundy. Potel, Bouchard, Jadot, and the other big ones don't come close. When you creep past $30-35, my attention turns to Bachelet or Fourrier.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've only had a few drouhins but I think jadots basic whites are better. Jadots santenay, savigny les beaunes, beaune, and pernand vergelesses are always really good (really liked the croix de pierre) and don't break the bank. The jadot rep was telling me how they own 270 HA in burgundy which is pretty crazy

Recent haul

[​IMG]

Gonzales byass tres palmas fino sherry (excited for this one)
    2007 jadot beaune "boucherottes" 1er cru
    2009 Bouchard Pere et fils savigny les beaune "les laviere" 1er cru
    2010 faiveley gevrey chambertin "les marchais"
    2010 Perrin vacqueryas

[​IMG]

2012 belluard "Le feu" (gringet grapes from savoie. Apparently he owns 12/22 HAs of gringet)
    NV belluard "ayse" cremant de savoie (not a fan of the cremants out of Jura and savoie because of the nuttiness but never had a gringet cremant before and it was $20)
    2011 frohlich felsenberg riesling GG
    2000 humbrecht turkheim riesling
    2010 heimberger schonenberg riesling

I had a glass of barmes beucher riesling recently that was so friggin delicious. Couldn't find any bottles but bought a few Alsatian Rieslings because of it. Looked like wine library in Springfield has some so might make the trek down there.

[​IMG]

This is delicious. Regret not buying a case at $17 per bottle. The tad bit of residual sugar and the 13% abv gives it a nice suppleness and richness that is nice but the acidity balances things out. Alcohol is very well integrated.

I've gotten a little tired of beer and cocktails (which I turned to when I got tired of wine). Been going a little HAM on wine.

I do have to say I always have fun at crush. Love talking to those guys.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

These are some recent additions to my collection. Debating whether to sell or drink the Lafite. A case of 86 commanded a serious premium in 2011 according to Bloomberg News, but it seems the prices have dropped recently. I'm a little concerned about the fill level on the 87 Mondavi Reserve. Any thoughts on whether this would be considered a short fill or is it normal for this wine? I find most of the Mondavi Reserves I have are shorter fills than most of my Bordeaux.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Lagrange was nice, but it took forever to open. Decanted for about 1.5 hours plus another 30 minutes in the glass before it really came to life.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Vintry in fidi had a ruinart tasting. 04 dom ruinart, 88 dom ruinart, 04 dom ruinart rose, nv riuinart rose, and nv ruinart. All out tasting. The 88 dom ruinart was $162 after discount. Some dude bought up all five bottles 10 minutes into the tasting but only because one bottle had already sold

I haven't had a ton of aged champagne but i didn't realize how much of the nutty brown qualities comes out just from the age. Was interesting but don't think id pay money for it

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  16. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Gomestar loves nutty brown Champagne. The nuttier and browner the better.

2 people like this.
  17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

18. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Something of a rare experience this evening - 1872 Oloroso Sherry

[​IMG]

19. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Well that's what I heard.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored