1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yesterday, I used 1.25 cups of this to cook:
    [​IMG]

Notice the ridiculous honey color:
    [​IMG]

And this is what the GF made me. Linguine with monkfish, thyme, and zucchini. And then prosciutto wrapped veal cutlets with sage. I finished the bottle of wine while she cooked, and then we split another. Happy time [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Because of the bad influence of you hooligans, today I bought six new wine glasses and a new decanter. Making dinner for six on Saturday, with a great assortment of wines and I wanted to be ready.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

^ Noice.

Btw, the three Barolo Cindy Wines arrive tomorrow [​IMG]

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

^ Noice.

Btw, the three Barolo Cindy Wines arrive tomorrow [​IMG]

and my wine club for January should be arriving tomorrow or Wed [​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Because of the bad influence of you hooligans, today I bought six new wine glasses and a new decanter. Making dinner for six on Saturday, with a great assortment of wines and I wanted to be ready.

me, johnny ... who are the other 4?

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

and my wine club for January should be arriving tomorrow or Wed [​IMG]

Noice. Wife just ordered a case of The Chronique from Betts&Scholl. So hard to stop buying [​IMG]

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

So hard to stop buying [​IMG]

especially with bonus season rolling around and a potential temporary yet substantial increase in funding (hellooooo Solito!)

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

especially with bonus season rolling around and a potential temporary yet substantial increase in funding (hellooooo Solito!)

Have fun [​IMG]

My cellar is putting a severe, systemic limit on me! Must drink moar.

Btw, pate de campagne. Pinot? Shall be home made.

9. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

So I am 26 years old. For the past three months I have been adding 6 bottles a month to my cellar. I am not planning on drinking anything out of it until 2012. That will give me 155 bottles when 2012 hits.
    I used to be such a nice boy. Look at what you've done to me!!!

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So I am 26 years old. For the past three months I have been adding 6 bottles a month to my cellar. I am not planning on drinking anything out of it until 2012. That will give me 155 bottles when 2012 hits.
    I used to be such a nice boy. Look at what you've done to me!!!

You're more patient than me!

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Finally, after months of procrastination I finally cracked a bottle of 2003 Hugonis by Tenuta Rapitala (50% Nero D'avola and 50% cabernet). At first it was really tight with a little bit of dirt on the nose. After a trip through an aerator and some time in a decanter it opened up and showed a little bit of sour cherry, dark fruit, followed by some ripe fruit with tons and tons of earth, gravel, and asphalt with some firm tannins. The mid palate was also thin with a decent finish. For my palate I found this wine overwhelmingly earthy and won't be going out of my way to drink it again. Please excuse my shitty blackberry pics. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. joopie

joopie Well-Known Member

Visited the folks during the holidays.. My parents have an extensive collection of vintage wine, but nothing compares to their their newest addition:
    [​IMG]

My father received it as a gift after working 4 years on a project. I think it sells for over 20k (anyone know exactly?), which is ridiculous. When would you ever find it a good opportunity to crack open a 20k wine?

$ 8k?

http://www.90pluswines.com/Wine/1981...ee-Conti/.aspx

14. joopie

joopie Well-Known Member

There is no Cal chard as good as a great white Burg (whereas I would say that there are several cabs that are as good as a great Bordeaux). Also, none of them get that Chablis steeliness, at least none that I have tried. My favorites, though, are as you say: sort of in the middle. Though my favorite white Burgs are not super astringent either.

I have had very few old CA chards, and many more old white Burgs, so on that score it is hard to compare. White Burg gets amazingly dark and sweetens as it ages.

Which are your favorite white burgundies? Any specific villages in mind?

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

For my palate I found this wine overwhelmingly earthy

I wonder if this is from the cabernet, the yield from the Nero d'Avola, or just the 7 years of age. Their stock Nero d'Avola is anything but earthy, and in some aspects might be too fruity, so I'm curious as to how this profile came about.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Wine club!!

Domaine de la Charbonniere Vacqueyras 2007
    Chateau Haut-Bergeron Sauternes 2005

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

and to this extent, I'm paging Pio for Foie purchasing, consuming, and enjoying suggestions.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

and to this extent, I'm paging Pio for Foie purchasing, consuming, and enjoying suggestions.

[​IMG]

I think I've decided not to order more Wine Library though. Stuff is due to arrive today, was shipped on the 6th. Just too long in transit IMO, as you're almost assured to have your wine in weather bad for wine somewhere on the trip.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

[​IMG]

I think I've decided not to order more Wine Library though. Stuff is due to arrive today, was shipped on the 6th. Just too long in transit IMO, as you're almost assured to have your wine in weather bad for wine somewhere on the trip.

IMO, spring and fall are the times to have wine shipped across the country. Temperate weather throughout and the bad weather is usually wind/rain and not frigid cold or searing heat.

And the Foie suggestions??

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

IMO, spring and fall are the times to have wine shipped across the country. Temperate weather throughout and the bad weather is usually wind/rain and not frigid cold or searing heat.

And the Foie suggestions??

Living where you do, I think there's a store called Dartaniagn's or something similar. I'd look for Hudson Valley. If you're going pate and not whole lobe, look for something from the Three Little Pigs.

Even in fall and spring, depending where you're headed, you might get temp extremes. Right now looks acceptable, but I can't think how many times it's either too cold on the NY end, or too hot somewhere between NY and me. I mean, you got sunny and 75 and temps inside your car goes up to the 90s.