• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just realized from looking at that label that her SB alcohol is unusually high. But it never really tasted hot to me. Maybe the oak mitigates that a bit. Piob?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I just realized from looking at that label that her SB alcohol is unusually high. But it never really tasted hot to me. Maybe the oak mitigates that a bit. Piob?

Could well be. That and it has some acid too. It certainly does not drink hot but rather has a full, unctuous mouth feel.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear this is a favorite of Joel Robuchon. I need to try it one day.
:D
Could well be. That and it has some acid too. It certainly does not drink hot but rather has a full, unctuous mouth feel.
I'd say acid rather than oak that balances the alcohol. Piob, if you ever get the chance, try the SB from Le Vieux Pin - very similar to ME, perhaps not as well balanced, but definitely on the right track for a young BC winery. I think I poasted a pic a while ago... if I had one criticism it would be the alcohol being too high.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Night: 2008 Renieri Rosso di Montalcino. For $11, will definitely get some more. A little deeper in color and darker fruit than most Rossos I've had. Nice little daily drinker.

alexg

Reaction score
Are there any ~$20 champagnes worth drinking? I'm drinking some ****** South African Champagne right now and wishing I wasn't.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as South African Champagne. :teach:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

alexg

Reaction score
I've been meaning to order a case from K&L for a while. They have the 2001 Viña Ardanza Rioja Reserva Especial which I had at Per Se and loved.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Are there any ~$20 champagnes worth drinking? I'm drinking some ****** South African Champagne right now and wishing I wasn't.

Champagne? No. Sparkling wine? Yes. Adami Prosecco and Jaume Serra Cristalino or German Gilabert for Cava.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I love German Gilabert. Best $12 or $13 sparkling ever.

It is really, really good. For the same price, by the basic Adami Prosecco if you find it, or, for $4-5 more buy the Adami Bosco di Gica.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
03 L'Aventure Côte-à-Côte Estate. Visited this place over Xmas. Bought a case of current release and a couple library release.

This wine is fantastic. GSM but about 40% G. Nose is pepper and spice of Syrah and that certain "foxy" notes I associate with Mouvedre. In the mouth it's all voluptuous Grenache. Finish is pepper and spice of Syrah with some tannins. Love it.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, Piob--you're not hung over like a dog today? You must have a mighty, mighty liver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads