1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

try AMEX for TFL

2 people like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sure worked for me and some restaurant no one in the Dinner thread has ever heard of or been to.

1 person likes this.
  3. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

The mention of the latter is interesting and I find it VERY hard to believe that no one would know it. Someone has to know, what is this mystery restaurant? Is it French?

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

Delicious. Didn't know I like merlot

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Hard to tell if French. Seating rather reminded me of a sushi bar.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

dude.

1 person likes this.
  7. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I had dinner at Meadowood a couple of years ago on the advice of a very fat restauranteur from Tennessee, who I ran into at Dean and Deluca and had an impromptu chat with. He told me he comes to Napa once a year and eats his way through the valley. It was his opinion at the time that the cooking at Meadowood was approaching FL levels but at about a third the cost. Based on my one meal there, I'd say he was pretty spot on. I found the cooking to be great, the menu interesting and well executed, and I liked the room. They also had one of those weird Riedel decanters that looks like a snake, has two "chambers" and you have to swirl the wine into the upper chamber before you can pour it. I felt sorry for the server trying to operate that thing. He said it came with an instructional video. Anyway, I thought the food was top notch. Their sous chef has moved to Princeton to be the chef at Mistral (a small plates place opened by Scott Anderson of elements fame, maybe the most overrated restaurant I've ever been to, but that's another story) which I am trying Friday night. It's BYO, so that should be a plus.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think either TFL or Meadowood is any great shakes based on my most recent experiences at each.

9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Well they're no Boulette's Larder, that's for sure.

1 person likes this.
  10. itsstillmatt

My last time at Meadowood they had moved to a granola heavy menu with lots of rocks punctuated by the various cooks pouring stuff at the table. The only thing non-Nomaesque was the lack of live critters to eat. It was disappointing. If they follow Pellegrino and start to mimic Can Roca, at which I had a phenomenal dinner two weeks ago, I will drive up to Napa a few times a year.

I seem to end up at TFL once a year and haven't had a memorably positive experience in a long time.

Boulettes Larder is opening a restaurant of some sort. The notice up outside about how tired they were and how hard life is made my day.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

My meal at Meadowood was a lot more straightforward than yours sounds, which personally I prefer. I don't really enjoy theatrical dining. Unless Manton wants to perform a few show tunes, which I enjoy.

12. itsstillmatt

My mother has named this type the "Dancing Chefs." I'll get a text from her something like "just ate at Arpege. Chef in dining room a lot. Hope he isn't turning into a dancer." I can't stand it. I do like granola, being a native here, but I really hope a lot of these restaurants can now move away from twigs and acorns.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

You're just not wild and pure. Either that, or you've not yet tried Japanese twigs and acorns.

14. itsstillmatt

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but at the Wild and the Pure, if you are late for your reservation they start docking you courses. Last time we went, we were looking for parking out front, about two minutes late and we get a call from the hostess telling us that if we aren't at the restaurant in time for the first course we just won't receive it. I guess they have decided that they can only run each course through the kitchen once in the night. Anyway, like fucking dumbasses my wife and I said "oh sure, sorry, we're just outside, wait for us." I hate that place.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

most are clueless. Wine Spectator's "top 10 MOST EXCITING wines of the year" usually reflects this. Then the market prices for the top-10 in this list usually reflects the cluelessness of consumers as well.

16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The article probably goes a bit far (I think overrated is a better way to describe wine experts than clueless), but I agree that too much emphasis is often given to what so-called "expert" opinion is. People tend to like to understand things and wine is no different, so it makes sense that there's an industry out there to interpret it and review it for consumers. I do think there's a lot of cool history in the wine world and that having a bunch of people spend their careers discussing wine is useful to the consumer but things should be taken with a grain of salt. Going with expert opinion is better than picking wine out at random IMO and I do think there is a corelation in general between quality and price. That said, there's no substitute for trying things yourself and figuring out what you and your friends like. I find reviews and "expert" opinions much more useful when looking at diamond in the rough cheap wines vs. trying to convince me that I need to spend a lot to get good wine.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I tried to follow the source links too but no luck

19. wiredrob

wiredrob Member

Just discovered this thread.

Remnants from a pinot tasting this weekend. 5 were excellent, except for Peay which was a different style and not as enjoyable.

[​IMG]