• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amadeodecanterb.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez Loiuse, Kwilk, what a fabulous place. Damn, Mrs. Audio had a migraine (trust me she's a trouper), and we had to cancel our 25th anniversary dinner there. They were so nice (and the hostess so hot!). I walked in as Jan tried to get rid of the migraine from during the quiet drive form Napa to Healdsburg. What a magnificent restaurant. So sad to have to cancel.

Next time...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It is indeed a great restaurant. It's an honor to work here. It's too bad you missed your anniversary, but hopefully you can make it back sometime. And yes, the hostess is insanely hot. My roommate and I sit there at staff meal just staring and drooling.
laugh.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she was awesome....brunette, right? Cancellation still cost me $50
smile.gif
Which was cool... Only two stars. Surprising, considering everybody raves. One of the greatest vibes ever

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Brunette, yep. I remember you posting about your dinner (before I started here). She's even hotter now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Gome, got my confirmation. Three bottles due here 12/24...right before we take off for our stay at Hotel Healdsburg and our Cyrus adventure
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Score!

I need wine right now, I've been on a damn bus for 5 hours. Hate.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
A fantastic wine. And a lovely surprise. Caymus-like in its jammy goodness, with wonderful Boysenberry and sour cheery, great oak and toast and the most amazing velvet consistency. I enjoyed this as much or even more that the Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection that Mrs. Audio purchased for me for my birthday.

90% Cabernet Sauvignon; 10% Cabernet Franc.

Johnny and Pand, I think you guys would *really* like this!

94/100

I'm absolutely going to look into that wine but also need to get some Caymus which I have been meaning to try as of recent. When are you coming to NYC? I need someone who can appreciate a good wine bar and we should have an NYC/SF Wine thread meetup.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
amadeodecanterb.jpg

I had actually seen somewhere that that particular decanter was made for champagne. The design allows the champagne to pour very gently to prevent the loss of carbonation through the tiny spout that a tradition decanter could not do. But hell, I dont see why you couldnt use it for wine.

After handling Riedel products, I would be afraid of that decanter snapping in half while pouring with a full bottle in it.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two bottles I'll help down this weekend... first is a Gary Ferrell Encounter 2001

pinot-noir-starr-ridge-bt.jpg

"This wine, our 2001 Encounter, not only affords us the challenge to produce a region-specific wine, but also to develop a unique proprietary blend from the most noble Bordeaux varietal grapes. We harvest small lots of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot grapes from some of Sonoma County's most exciting "mountain" vineyards with the intention of crafting this wine."

and second one is a Lancaster Estate 2001.

8792.jpg

"...from our finest vineyard blocks which consistently express a definitive richness of character. For the 2001 vintage, we chose eight barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon and two barrels of Malbec, producing a mere 250 cases. Beautifully balanced in the mouth, this opulent wine is redolent with black cherry, plum, anise, chocolate, and tobacco. Long, firm tannins complete the finish. Aging for 22 months in French oak barrels (75% new) fully integrated the flavors and enhanced the wine’s complexity."

Anybody know anything about these wines or has anyone ever tried them before?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm absolutely going to look into that wine but also need to get some Caymus which I have been meaning to try as of recent. When are you coming to NYC? I need someone who can appreciate a good wine bar and we should have an NYC/SF Wine thread meetup.

I'll be in town 1st week of June. We'll try and get a meet going. Lots of Audiophilia biz crammed into four days, but it would be fun to taste some wines with the gang.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I had actually seen somewhere that that particular decanter was made for champagne. The design allows the champagne to pour very gently to prevent the loss of carbonation through the tiny spout that a tradition decanter could not do. But hell, I dont see why you couldnt use it for wine.

After handling Riedel products, I would be afraid of that decanter snapping in half while pouring with a full bottle in it.

It was discussed by Gary V and his guest on Wine Library TV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads