1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, basically this. Drinkable, but that's about it. There is this restaurant by me that I used to go to all of the time that had some obscure one as their house red that was, imo great, but it disappeared pretty quickly.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

3. patrickBOOTH

I had a sparkling nebbiolo with pizza once. It was fantastic. I was incredibly bloated afterwards though.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm a big fan of Produttori in general. Their stuff is well made, easy to find, affordable, and strikes a good balance between approachable at youth yet still has the legs to age nicely.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I agree with this. The Langhe and other lower end bottlings of the good producers can be quite good and enjoyable young. I like Vietti's nebbiolos as well as the lower end Giacosa bottlings.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Been drinking Nebbiolo Rose lately. Tasty.

7. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Is it just me or do they often appear more orange than rose colored? Orange'!

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

orange hues (or a bricky-orange) are not uncommon from Nebbiolo. Can't help but think that the rose would have a tendency to emphasize this..

9. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I've yet to be disappointed by Produttori. Speaking of lower end bottlings from good producers - this Barbera from Giacomo Conterno is excellent - not quite a $20 bargain (and expensive for a Barbera) but so well made and drinkable for something so young...

[​IMG]

10. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Having some friends over on friday and i'm going out for shopping, any good tips? Both red and white.

11. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I agree with you on the Abtserde. The Karthäuserhof should have been good, too.

12. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Karthauserhof is a great place to visit, bring a jacket, the tasting room is cool. Very beautiful tile work as well. Christoff is a great host. It was the last visit of the day, tasting '05's. Tasted 4 TBA's! One from Zilliken, 2 from Von Hovel and the Kart. Amazing day! '05 may be the best vintage of the '00's. More botrytis than '01 and lots of concentration.

13. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Enjoyed this last night - '06 Fevre Montee de Tonnerre. Austere but starting to mellow; mineral and lemony with a touch of oak but certainly not in excess.

[​IMG]

14. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

By any chance has anybody had Graci Quota 600 Etna Rosso 2008?

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had several bottles last night. Started off with a Gomey suggestion, N.V. Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut L.P. Domaine de Tours-sur-Marne. Brightly acid, apples, a hint of toast. Then opened a 2007 Turley Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard. This was killer, everything a Central Coast Zin should be but not overblown. Raspberry jam with hints of dill. Then we had a 2009 Sea Smoke Southing and a Perception Chard (can't remember the vintage). I picked the Perception because the other couple are not real wine drinkers and Perception is a classic "buttery popcorn" style Chard so I thought it would go well with her entree. She thoroughly enjoyed it but could not pick butter out in the least. I think she has no sense of smell as this is a wine that overdoes the mallos picked for that very reason. Either way, she enjoyed it and that's all that mattered.

17. patrickBOOTH

The 2007 Turley sounds really interesting. Raspberry jam with hints of dill.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The dill comes from use of American oak barrels.

19. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Yesterday I went up to Anderson Valley to check out a vineyard and we stopped to chat and taste with the guy making the wines for Knez, which is the label for the guy who bought the Demuth and Cerise vineyards. Highly recommended. The single vineyard Pinots from '10 are great and a screaming deal. quite elegant, fresh, and high toned with plenty of tannin and the stuffing to age. The rosé was also excellent.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Here's tonight wine. Very elegant.

[​IMG]