Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Yeah, my analogy was not spot-on. I should have paid more attention to those bottles my dad trotted out - I certainly tasted them but it didn't fully register...

It's my son's fourth birthday today and he was given the choice of having whatever he wanted for dinner and whatever kind of cake - his choice is pork and vegetable pot-stickers, broccoli with garlic, and chocolate cake with marshmallows on top and smarties on the sides - I don't know how I'm going to pair this exceptional occasion with exceptional wine but it will probably be riesling or maybe a sancerre. He and his sister will drink milk.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Awww dad! That's no fun!

3. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I know, I'm a hardass. At least it's organic :devil:

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

In a similar vein to this conversation, when I took that bottle of 04 Brunello and the Laforet white Burg over to my sous chef's house a few weeks ago, his 9 month old kid was really interested in it. He would smell the Brunello, then think for a second, and then get a huge smile on his face. This happened 6-7 times while we consumed the bottle. I thought it was hilarious. A little sommelier in training.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

+1...that's how I do things when I drink at home or order off a wine list.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't know ... beaucastel and palmer? if that's not the highest level, it's looking across the backyard wall at it.

7. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Like I said, they were occasion wines in the house I grew up in. There was the odd first growth too but Beaucastel and Palmer were the notables I remembered as he bought by the case and saved. Like you wisely pointed out above, this is SF after all and some illustrious members rinse their mouth with jerobaums of DRC on occasion ... that, to me, is the 'highest level'... :nodding:

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I never said I'm looking to drink First Growth Bordeaux every time I pop a bottle of wine. I'm also not looking for perfection either. To me, a wine that is exceptional exceeds 90 points on my personal scale. Something that is better than average and stands out.

I've had a number of well aged Beaucastel over the last couple of months and I would consider it to be an exceptional wine. It's funny that you'd mention Chateau Palmer as that is a prime example of the shift in Bordeaux pricing over the last 10 years. What was once an affordable table wine, is no longer that way. Across the board, prices have skyrocketed, which brings me back to my original point that started all this -- Enjoying good Bordeaux is tough at $30 or less per bottle.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Off to a prosecco tasting at a local wine store: Loredan Gasparini Prosecco Superiore NV, Casabianca Prosecco Rosé NV, Bisol Prosecco “Jeio” NV, Adami Garbel Prosecco Brut NV, Adami Vigneto Giardino 2009. Should be refreshing after a stroll in the 99° weather.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

It beats Listerine. :^)

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

The sad predicament of current release Bordeaux is another story all together...I do agree that finding good Bordeaux under $30 is very difficult especially since Bordeaux really needs 10+ years for even mediocre vintages. I do find that's quite easy to find mature Bordeaux from Classified Growths that are 15+ years of age from decent vintages for around $60 per bottle. That's not a fortune yet makes the times when I drink Bordeaux at home less frequent. For younger wines, I prefer a Mon Coeur Chave or Morgon Lapierre or Bourgogne Cathiard that are softer and smoother and have more character at 3 years of age than most any Bordeaux at that age.

13. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

2008 Tinto da Anfora, Alentejano

$13

A delightful, inexpensive daily drinker. Everything in balance if a little light in tannins and acidity. Good fruit. A well made wine with a very interesting and enjoyable nose. And for the price, a no brainer. A blend of Aragonez, Trincadeira, Touriga Nacional, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Aged for 12 months in small oak barrels. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Had a bottle of '04 Trimbach Frederic Emile. Great producer, great wine. Goes so well with food.

15. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Tonight I had a bottle of Lioco's 2008 Sonoma Co Chardonnay with dinner (roast chicken) - these guys continue to impress. I've never been a chardonnay fan but their deft handling of Burgundian fruit is impressive. II have 2 bottles of their Hirsch vineyard Pinot Noir and one more of the Michaud - Chalone on deck with plans to acquire more and keep them for 5 and 10 years. Their Indica red blend is (for the money) sublime. Tonight I also picked up a full case of their 2006 Charles Heitz vineyard Chardonnay @ $10 per bottle - some local store my friends go to had it on closeout. Excited to try it.

The real star of the evening, however was Le bon petit diable Cabernet Franc 2009. Lots of flowers and sour cherries, no herbal mess, and just a great example of how unadulteratedly simple a pleasure and delight drinking wine with friends after dinner can be.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011