The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

It doesn't end up that way, but it is always the goal. I have limited opportunities to drink, and when I do, I try for greatness. If I drank every day, I'd likely have to lower my standards a little.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Each to his own. I mean, even Shakespeare wrote comedies. For me I do not want greatness on every occassion. It would be like advocating that one must wear a bespoke suit to the grocery store. It has nothing to do with standards but rather the understanding that life has many moments that do not require greatness to be fitting and pleasing.

3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Hmm, I find your Aristotelian bias re: drama interesting. I don't share it, so I'd liken the distinction between comedy/tragedy to white/red wine rather than to everyday/exceptional wine. But I very much like the suggestion that truly exceptional wine is more like high tragedy. I'd like to think this view has something to do with your all the Spatburgunder and cocktails you had last night.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

4. Piobaire

Oy, just took a couple of ibuprofen.

It's like conversations with a very close friend. Not every conversation is going to be about Important Shit. Not only is that not plausible it would make that friendship exhausting. Somewhere in this thread, about 1.5 years ago, I did a head to head tasting of an 05 Pur Sang with an 08 Merry Edwards. I did this as they both scored a WS 96 which is something uncommon for that grape. I said something to the effect that the Pur Sang was exhausting as you knew this was monumental wine. You had to measure up to the wine and appreciate the fact you were drinking something epic. The ME was easier to drink and not as layered and complex but still a very tasty bottle of wine.

So which would I drink most nights? The ME. Greatness on a regular basis is exhausting, IMO. Sometimes I just want to shoot the shit with my close friends and not talk about the big things in life. This is why I do not aim for greatness from every bottle of wine.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

You mention drinking ME when you AREN'T searching for greatness? :puzzled:

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I don't know you and certainly don't judge, but for me a simple bottle that complements and is complemented by food and good company gives me far and away more pleasure than chasing the dragon of exceptionalness. I drink a fair bit of good to very good wine and that is interesting in itself but only a small part of enjoyment. I don't think it comes down to lowering standards but rather wines to fit the occasion - a simple bottle of iced tavel in the hot sunshine would be my preference over a first-growth médoc; the opposite might be true with a meal at a serious restaurant.

I grew up watching my parents have wine with almost every dinner, so hardly limited to "exceptional experiences" - it was typically a CdR, a negotiant burgundy, or god-forbid, Cali "Chablis". For special occasions, my dad liked Beaucastel and Ch Palmer - hardly the highest level, but serious enough to mark the occasion as something out of the ordinary. I tend to follow that approach, however unconsciously.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I agree with this 99%. A first growth medoc would not be my choice at a serious restaurant, but with a simple roast. Otherwise, yeah, though the Beaucastels and Palmers of those years were generally more epic than you are giving them credit for being.

As with food, music and anything else that goes with dining/entertaining, everything is situational.

8. erictheobscure

+1

My definition of not great involves, you know, some $13 bottle of swill. I'm living in Two Gentlemen of Verona while Piob is in Twelfth Night.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

9. itsstillmatt

I drink a good bit of wine between 10 and 20, and I don't think any is swill.

10. erictheobscure

I was just playing out my self-loathing shtick.

11. itsstillmatt

I'm sorry your ideology has forced that upon you. I plan on enjoying a $13 bottle of rose ce soir in all my capitalist glory.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    is that the vinous equivalent of only dating 9s and 10s? if so, it's definitely in the SF tradition and should not be belittled. as neo constantly points out: We must have standards! even if that means we never get out of the house.

13. itsstillmatt

Back on a serious note, I have been drinking a lot of Corsican wine, red, white and rose, and it has been uniformly excellent, especially in summer and with the great number of vegetables we've been eating.

14. erictheobscure

:cheers:

I'd join you in rosé drinking but it's probably a cocktail night for me.

15. Piobaire

I think Kyle means it slightly differently than what you're thinking.

The ME Sauv. Blanc is great wine in the sense that it is well made and tasty. However, it's not great in the sense of multi-layered and complex with all kinds of little sub-plots, literary allusions and creations of themes like The Green World. The ME is to be enjoyed in a non-critical fashion and savoured in the moment. Like going to see The Blue Man Group. :laugh: