The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Thanks, Kwilk!

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Gomey really is the master of Eye-ties. It's amazing yet infuriating for some reason. :laugh:

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I like them, the Italian wines.

Oh, and I have had plenty of sub $30 and sub $15 Bordeaux that has been lovely. I also don't need every wine I try to be an exceptional experience.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Well I guess that certainly is a difference between you and I then.

Also, if you read my post, I didn't say it was impossible, I said that it has become increasingly more difficult. You have a greater chance of picking something worth drinking at a higher price point than you do by running through all the $15 bottles that you can find. That's not to say that you can leave out the research at the higher price point either. Again, this may come down to personal preferences. What may be lovely to you, I don't want to drink.

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Care to share some deetz? I'm one of those confused-by-Italian-wines types. I've found some decent bargain Falanghinas and Aglianicos, but the world of Barolos and Brunellos remains a mystery to me. An expensive mystery.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    kyle and gomey can do this better than I, but generally for great values, you're going to have to stay away from the big-name regions. There are relative bargains in barolo ($35 to $40), but a lot of these are either second labels or from declassified vineyards. Even Chianti is more expensive than it ought to be, though you can find the occasional deal -- selvapiana is always a well-made traditionally styled chianti for around $15. you're much better off with little wines from those areas, maybe gattinara instead of barolo.
    eta: just remembered another great chianti bargain: castello della paneretta. real, real old-school stuff for less than $20 a bottle usually.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Adami is a really great Prosecco producer, and his stuff ALWAYS hits way above the price.
    Montepulciano d'Abruzzo- look for stuff like Masciarelli--- not mind blowing, but should retail right around $10, which is good.

Everything else eyetie is left up to Gome. He's the one who turned me onto Brunellos and Barolo and Barbaresco.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

for Italian whites, I tend to just poke around and try everything out. I buy more on region than on the producer ... and I usually try to stay away from recommending producers since they can be spotty to source and I forget the name of most of them. Regions or varietals I'm a fan of for whites include falanghina, gavi, roero, vernaccia, vermentino (sardinian and tuscan - my favorite is from Guado al Tasso in Bolgheri), the alto adige, and a number of smaller DOC's that slip my mind now. The only one I tend to shy away from is Pinot Grigio.

I agree with foodguy that Chianti is getting more expensive - instead, seek out other tuscan DOC's also made from sangeovese such as Vino Nobile de Montepulciano (different from Montepulciano d'Abruzzo that kwilk mentions), rosso di Montalcino, or Carmignano.

my favorite area is really Piedmont - home of Barolo and Barbaresco. Much like my other-sangeovese-tuscan suggestion, the same can be had for non-barolo or non-barbaresco nebbiolos. The DOCG's of Langhe, gattinara, and ghemme are all nebbiolo based, but are much more approachable in their youth. Sometimes you'll even see labels like 'nebbiolo d'alba'. Other reds I like are the light and versatile Dolcetto or the richer Barbera. Both are wonderful with food. Some Piedmont producers that stick out in my head that I've really enjoyed include Conterno, Corino, Rocche de Manzoni, Renato Ratti, Giacosa, La Spinetta, and a number of others that slip my mind. Most all of the ones I suggest make a number of different DOC's.

9. guster

guster Senior member

Love the '91 Beringer PR. Been fortunate to have had a lot of that one. How was the '94 Cos? I remember it being good for the vintage but not enough to buy any.

10. guster

guster Senior member

Drinking a '00 Dauvissat Les Clos Chablis. I always worry these days about premox on white Burgs but this bottle is spectacular. Plenty of juicy minerality along with loads of fruit and beautiful structure. An extra kick of stoniness in there, which I love. The flavor just lingers on the palate for what seems like minutes. Just a bit of honey like you would expect in an aged white Burg.

Now the biggest worry is the remaining bottles. How many will be shot form premox?

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Thanks for the info. I've had a good amount of Adami prosecco and enjoyed it. Will try to explore the various reds and regions you've mentioned.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Excellent poast.

Especially second Rosso di Montalcinos for value.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Are you saying you need every bottle of wine you drink to be an "exceptional" experience?

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Opening a Gaja, 2000 Langhe San Lorenzo tomorrow night...

Anticipation.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Great to hear you got a good one! One thing you can do with the remaining bottles (and this works for any aged White Burgundy) is hold all the bottles up to a strong light. If some seem darker (almost like a light honey color) than others, those are likely showing pre-mox. Can't hurt to try that as an experiment. Regardless, I'd drink the other Dauvissat's by next year as time isn't on their side.