The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

that is the problem ... and the glory. everyone has their own take on wine and there's a style for everyone. i think we discussed this in an earlier thread, but i almost guarantee you that the stuff you really like now, you won't like in 2 years. and the stuff you like then, you'll probably be over in another two years. it's all about your individual taste, but just don't make the mistake of thinking that your taste will remain static. it's a lot more of "i like this now" than "this is good."

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I like Kermit Lynch wines as much as anybody. Could drink them and nothing else. I am lucky enough to live nearby, and the sales people are really fantastic, know the wines well and are never condescending even to the biggest noobs. I should know, I know relatively little, as compared to many here, and knew nothing when I started shopping there when I was a wee lad of 22.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If this is the stage you're at my best advice is to just start tasting all the wine you can from everywhere in the world. Since you were after specific regions of Bord I figured you were well along your path of preference but it seems this might not be so? You mentioned Kermit who really isn't a big Bord guy but boy have I fallen in love with his Rhones thanks in no small part to heismatt.

So my best advice is just go taste wine. Tons of it, all varietals/styles, and places.

4. Piobaire

If you've learned nothing in the last 40 years I would be surprised.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'm going to respectfully disagree with my learned friend. unstructured tasting really doesn't advance your knowledge very easily, or certainly not efficiently. I'm not talking about enrolling at UC Davis to learn enology, but taking a class from someone who knows wine, who will let you taste medoc and graves and explain the difference so you can understand it, that will give you a solid basis from which to begin your unstructured explorations. you need to understand the basic vocabulary before you can get what everyone is talking about. plus, that's the best way to taste widely and critically and expose your palate to the range that is out there so you can begin to make sense of it all.

6. Piobaire

You are probably correct and I was expressing a personal philosophy. When I develop an interest in something I usually explore blindly for some time before I seek structure and basic knowledge. I think if I start my exploration of a new interest off as you suggested I will be forever stuck inside someone else's box. Might sound corny but there you have it.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I have enjoyed wine since I was in college, which wasn't that long ago, however most of it was blind drinking. I knew I liked reds, and that was about it. My other opinions were more or less just from conditioning. My grandmother always drank Pinot Noir, I would have some with her and I thought it was great. I remembered her saying she didn't like Italian wine and her being from Italy and being all about Italy I figured there was probably a good reason for her to denounce something Italian so I never bothered with it. Now I am at the point where I am sticking with French reds until I get a feel for them and what I like and such before moving to Italy, California and so on. It was the only way, in my head, that I could remove some variables to the wine equation.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

:laugh: Matt is old.

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I think I'm about a year ahead of you on this wine exploration trail- and for what it is worth, I'm finding getting my head around French wines make understanding everything else much easier.

Except for Italian wines. They are completely opaque. I figure its a good five year detour when I get to them.

But I'm still in love with Ch. Trinquevedel rose- that is just plain fun to drink.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

you can always just drink wines to enjoy them. there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. but if you want to learn something about them, France is a good place to start. Very Cartesian. Very organized. Very available. Italy is absolutely the worst place to start. Completely disorganized even to the point of anarchic. but lots and lots of fun. and so much good wine to explore.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or gomestar (I know he wouldn't mind me offering this for him). He knows a lot more about ital whites than I do, but he can answer probably any question you might have.

How true. But there can be incredible, insane, howthefuckisthispossible values in Italian wine.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

definitely true. for me, french is like training wheels ... you always have that rigid organization to fall back on. Italian ... you're out on your own buddy. you have to make up your own mind about things and a lot of the rules fall by the way. the same grape can taste totally different even when grown very close together (10 miles from barolo to barbaresco!; not much farther from Chianti to Montepulciano).

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know zero about Italian wines, but I do know that while not prefering white wines I have never had an Italian white that I considered undrinkable whereas I have tried some Chardonnay that I thought was awful.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

oh, they're out there. believe me, they're out there.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Go to local supermarket.

There, you just found about 30 chards that are awful.