The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I've heard that the 1811 was incredible. We had one at Trotter's from 1845, and my boss said that he'd tasted a different bottle of it a couple of years ago that was absolutely killer. Granted, the 1845 vintage is not the 1811 vintage.
    Special bottles don't need an occasion, they are the occasion, Daddy.

And to get back to your question a page or so back, I never really had "the bottle." I mean I've had incredible bottles, but they all came after I was either in the industry or interested in becoming a part of the industry. My interest came as a deliberate thought, and not as the result of have an amazing eye-opening bottle like Sea Smoke, or La Tache, or Jayer. I always kind of feel weird when people talk about their "the bottle" experiences and I haz none.

2. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I imagine a retirement dinner for a great winemaker/estate owner would make the top five "dinners I want to attend". When is Paul Draper retiring, because I want to go to that!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ok, now I am trying to figure something out. I had a bord last night pictured here on the left:
    [​IMG]
    It was, in my opinion terrible. It had a finish that was almost sour. It was 70% Merlot 20% Cab Franc and 10% Cab Sau from Graves in the south, I assume.
    A few nights ago I had this bord pictured in the middle that had no indication of the region within bord, or blend, just said "reserve special" and I thought it was great, granted the vintage is different is the region what other factors are at play here? Would decanting for an hour or two make any difference?
    [​IMG]

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

FG, just started reading that book you recommended. Only ten pages in or so but already interesting. Just reading the part at the beginning concerning Randall Grahm and his views on CA Pinot and his dry land farming of them.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Which book?

6. Piobaire

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Much better than expected.

[​IMG]

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i've read way too many wine books, but i found it really fascinating, both on a technical and a philosophical level. the stuff about how wine and grapes are manipulated (by both guys) is interesting, but the larger question of what wine should be is too. i found it really interesting that many of those bargain southern french reds that everyone likes so much, are apparently created using technology and philosophy that originated at davis. of course, it helps your price point when the vineyard was paid off two generations ago, as opposed to bought in competition with yet another hi-tech plutocrat.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The influence of Davis on the frogs is an under-reported story, in part because a lot of frogs don't want to talk about it. But many of the top wine families are sending their kids their, like the way Bocuse sent his son to the CIA. Of course, Bocuse is happy to talk about it.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

[​IMG]

I've been drinking this rosé all summer long. Inexpensive and straightforward, but really, really drinkable. Tastes of strawberries without tasting like candy or Kool-Aid.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'd say about 80% of it has been beneficial, too. much of what the French lauded as "character" were actually chemical defects that caused serious problems once the wine had been botttled (granted, in minor doses things like brett can add interest). the chemistry-based curriculum at davis really allowed them to clean up their acts ... that left them with some really old vineyards that produced great grapes and an improved means of production. the downside is that in some cases winemaking ambition took over and in the drive to make "important" wines, some of the chemistry-based shortcuts were adapted as well.

13. Piobaire

Along that line the series of DVDs Jancis Robin's did were quite interesting. The in your face blending and technical manipulation of wines in Oz vs. the old school Froggies was quite a contrast. I also got quite the chuckle out of the one Frog that tasted a CA Chard, and then went outside to spit, as he didn't want that wine on the floor of his barn! Another interesting bit was a female Burgundian Frog tasting a CA Pinot. She said it was tasty but that it was basically soulless.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

me too. which ones are people liking this year? i've got some of my standby high-end, the sinskey rose, but i haven't picked up my drinkers yet. hell, we've only had a couple days over 80 so far. i'm sure that'll change come august and september and i need to be ready.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

beware anything a french person judges not in a blind tasting. they are very, very good marketers. and very, very protective of their position as the vatican of wine. (which is not to say that the aussies haven't fully embraced the chemical approach to winemaking ... but there are french that have, too).