The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

When buying bords is there a particular region that I should stay away from, or does it depend entirely on the vintage?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Everything depends on vintage. And personal taste, of course. Some people gravitate to the left bank, others the right, etc etc etc.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

3. patrickBOOTH

I hear you, I reckon that I have a lot of drinking to do... I have noticed that I haven't had a bad 05' bord and it was all I was buying, but now they are becoming rarer and more expensive.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Well, that is complicated.

Basically, no and no.

By which I mean this. Yes, there are the "good areas", which I would define as the four Left Bank villages, plus Graves to the south, and Pomerol and St. Emillion on the Right Bank. This is where all the famous wine is from. Prices will be higher on average.

However, the rest of Bordeaux has gotten a lot better and many wines that did not used to be exported now are. This is where the values are. Cote de Blaye is probably the worst, and Entre Duex Mers is so vast that you can't generalize but still there are OK wines to be found even there. Certainly, prices will be low.

Vintage quality has evened out quite a bit. It's not yet like Napa but vintage variation is much lower than it used to be. Collectors tend to buy (and bid up) only those vintages hyped in the wine press so other vintages tend to be priced quite a bit lower. Second tier vintages also have the advantage of being drinkable younger. Really, there was not a truly bad Bordeaux vintage in the last 10 years. I still drink even the 2004s, which were probably the worst.

5. patrickBOOTH

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

When: Friday 7/25
    Bottle: Flora Springs "Trilogy"
    Vintage" 2001
    Grape(s): 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, and 20% Cabernet Franc
    Region: Napa

Notes: This one really surprised me pleasantly. Big but not in an overdone Cali way... and I really couldn't make out anything oaky about it... if I had not seen the label I might have thought it was eye-tal. More acidity, more herbaceous and bigger than I would have suspected. A great drinker without food; very smooth.
    Delicious.

I'm told they're also a great staff/vineyard to visit?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it's going to be a very interesting vintage. there's still a couple of months left. really, really troublesome start ... lots of late rains, some vineyards up north lost their first bloom. then we've been very cool with a few spikes of heat. a lot of it will depend on september. if the squirrelly weather ends and we get nice, even heat, it could be a good vintage ... generally cool starts are favorable for slow, even ripening and well-developed flavors. on the other hand, real high heat could cause the vines to just shut down. that would be disastrous. and continued cool temps would push harvest into the rainy season. of course, given the amount of summer rain we've had, who can tell when that will actually start?

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had the Cote du Rhone pictured above last night. Nose was slightly vinegarish but taste was okay. Nothing much to it just an inoffensive daily drinker. Will not repurchase.

Also, my books arrived yesterday. The book FG recently recommended and then one I think Manton has read recently, the one about Parker.

9. Manton

Last dip into the West Coast cellar before heading south:

[​IMG]

10. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Jeroboam of 1971 La Tache DRC last night at Brooklyn Fare was unreal. Wine simply doesn't get any better. Bought on release by the collector's family and moved from the cellar solely for this dinner. The nose had a wild quality while being incredibly refined and elegant. Soft and spicy. The palate was powerful and the finish lingered in a haze for minutes. A real treat.

[​IMG]

11. Manton

goddamnit slewfoot

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:worship:

This is why I stopped posting my meager offerings as much.

13. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Wow

To both posts.

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'll take that as a compliment! :^)

I feel one should always post whatever they enjoy as I'm sure others get a kick out of a variety of wine recommendations...I was just at the right place at the right time.

15. Manton

More like unadulterated envy.
    That seems to happen a lot with you.