• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a 2008 Bourgogne Blanc Roulot last night. If this isn't the best deal in White Burgundy year-in/year-out I don't know what is. Always tastes like a top Village or a lighter Premier Cru in terms of complexity and style. Pretty much my house white. Well worth getting if you're not familiar with the wines of Jean-Marc Roulot who runs one of Burgundy's top Domaines.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night: 2006 Juge Cornas: delicious, so glad to live in a place where I can Juge at retail.
Tonight: 08 Kermit Lynch CdR: reliably tasty.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Both lovely wines. Great balance and well made. With friends on the patio last night.

:slayer:

if you see it nab the latest red newt cellars lahoma vineyard riesling. sooo good. my local wine store ran out and i bought the last bottle for a friend.

the male owner/winemaker died in a car crash last last week and its uncertain how they'll do next year. really really sad

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Had a 2008 Bourgogne Blanc Roulot last night. If this isn't the best deal in White Burgundy year-in/year-out I don't know what is. Always tastes like a top Village or a lighter Premier Cru in terms of complexity and style. Pretty much my house white. Well worth getting if you're not familiar with the wines of Jean-Marc Roulot who runs one of Burgundy's top Domaines.

Will definitely be on the lookout for this. Although I would probably say that about anything you recommend so highly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Chateau Bonnet, SB, Semillon, Muscadet. Nice, cheap.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Current delicious wines in rotation...the red:
117b3ht.jpg
^^Great list. Do poast what you think about the Thivin.
So my wife and I had a 2007 Thivin last night with dinner (local ring-necked pheasant on endives, swiss chard and beet tops from the garden, herb salad and a nice piece of Tallegio to end) and got to observe it over a couple of hours in a casual way. I've had other vintages before and always enjoyed this wine and it did not disappoint. Good ruby colour, medium tannin and acidity and good fruit on the nose and palate. A nicely balanced wine but I'd say lacking the fullness that I enjoy from some Morgons (although those are usually $10-15 more than this particular wine). All in all pleased and would continue to drink.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
AUFRL.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been discussed briefly in a few other threads but I'm researching again...

wondering who has invested in what wine cooling. I agree with a comment from Pio that the small "dorm fridge" coolers are probably not optimal... I've been exploring larger units (50-100 bottles) with more robust climate control.
Who has what? Thoughts? Brands to avoid?
Budget maybe ~$1,000

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have two, a small GE Monogram and a large N'Finity. The former is really fantastic but was very expensive and a large one would crush your budget. The latter is sort of a budget brand. It does not hold a consistent temperature but tends to jump around a few degrees, always close enough to what you want, but the GE one never varies from 55. It's also better made and completely quiet. The N'Finity is a bit noisy but it's in the basement so I don't care.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thank you for this suggestion and I plan to track it down this week.

1996 Big M? :drool: How was it?

It's been discussed briefly in a few other threads but I'm researching again...

wondering who has invested in what wine cooling. I agree with a comment from Pio that the small "dorm fridge" coolers are probably not optimal... I've been exploring larger units (50-100 bottles) with more robust climate control.
Who has what? Thoughts? Brands to avoid?
Budget maybe ~$1,000

I've been very happy with my Vinotemp. My model is about double your budget but it has several times the capacity also. Google "vinotemp" and see if they have a model for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads