The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Had a '10 Tempier Rose. Was a little annoyed that my wife opened it, since I wasn't planning on having any wine tonight, but the stuff is just so damn happy making that I couldn't resist.

Ha - we had our first bottle of the '10 on Saturday night - so freaking good. We didn't drink tonight though [​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

As was the Chateau Trinquevedel rose. Minerality balanced against tannin, fruit, acid and garrigue spice.

Weygandt is the other importer I started to look at. He seems to have a similar taste to Kermit Lynch, but at least in my experience, the wines haven't been as uniformly good as Lynch.

4. patrickBOOTH

I've been on a Lynch kick. I found a shop close to where I live that stocks a wide variety and price points of his wines so I have been trying them out. The girl who works there has noticed recently that the lesser priced Cru Beaujolais have been flying off the shelves. I wonder if it is a summer thing, or people are realizing the value.

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I've been on a Lynch kick. I found a shop close to where I live that stocks a wide variety and price points of his wines so I have been trying them out. The girl who works there has noticed recently that the lesser priced Cru Beaujolais have been flying off the shelves. I wonder if it is a summer thing, or people are realizing the value.

It's ~$35 (at least where I am) but you should try the 2009 Foillard Cote de Py if you get a chance - a truly remarkable cru beaujolais from what is generally regarded as a great vintage. Probably more finesse than Lapierre's which is my usual choice for this type of wine.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I don't think I'm going to make much progress on understanding Weygandt, given how easy it is to find good (great!) wines by buying Lynch.

In fact, right now I'm mostly getting either wines from Washington state wines, or imported by Kermit Lynch.

7. patrickBOOTH

It's ~$35 (at least where I am) but you should try the 2009 Foillard Cote de Py if you get a chance - a truly remarkable cru beaujolais from what is generally regarded as a great vintage. Probably more finesse than Lapierre's which is my usual choice for this type of wine.

Thanks for the info. I will look out for that.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Bought a case of 08 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Riesling. It was on sale and I just love stuff from the Rheingau. This was a kabinett level and I can drink two bottles of it at a dinner. Also picked up half a case of Tesch Spatburgunder in the 1L bottle size [​IMG] Lastly, picked up a couple of Argentia Torrentes. That is such good summer wine, IMO.

Popped an 06 Kosta Browne yesterday, Sonoma Coast. Typical lush Kosta.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^

would I dislike KB?

10. Piobaire

Sonoma Coast I think for sure, RRV, probably, one of the single vineyards you might like. The SVDs have more structure, some smoke and pepper, and some tannin. Still, they always make a lush style wine and I think 5-7 years is peak for their stuff. Nothing like say, a 99 Burg that's just getting its legs like the one I had with a friend a few months ago.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

^^

would I dislike KB?

I think you probably would.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

13. Piobaire

You certainly would not find the $80 or so retail for an SVD a good QPR. Neither do I which is why I only buy the two blends.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^

I'd just try to profit from those. Plenty of people around to take the bait.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

from yesterday, asked GF to bring some some wine (instructions were anything not riesling and not USA): [​IMG]