Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^

no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.

That Tavel is lovely, btw.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Wow. Want!

me too. I have to return to Philly next Saturday so I'm going to try to pick some more up.

3. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

^^ no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out. That Tavel is lovely, btw.
    skurkin imports some great wine but I've always found it hard to discern a house style in his portfolio. I like Dressner because although I don't love all the wine, I do understand what he's about.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^

Agreed on Skurkin

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

^^

no, in fact I'd recon this is a great way to buy. I used to seek out stuff from Skurkin and a number of others, and after Matt's praise I sought out a bunch of stuff from K-L. I enjoyed it enough, but more importantly I've found the stuff he imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.

That Tavel is lovely, btw.

I'm an enthusiastic +1 on this. I'd add that I've seldom gone wrong with the wines K-L imports and that they pair very well with the sort of food we eat.

Just received a case of 2008 Les Pallieres Racines.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I picked up a bottle of the 2008 Les Pallieres Terrasse du Diable, but I haven't tried it yet; I thought it'd be best to let it sit a couple of months. Whereas the rose Tavel I was going to have this weekend (90+ degrees!).
    Kermit Lynch imports really matches with what I look for in great wine (balance, poise, integration, structure as opposed to sheer strengh, fruit, ratings, etc.) and so naturally I seek more of it out.
    That was nicely said.

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Great time. Lovely area. Much better reds than I thought. The Ravines were superb. Great care went into the making all the varietals. Thanks guys, for the recs. Jean Georges was quite something. Food was excellent, ambiance lovely, and the service the best I've experienced. Two days in Saugerties on the Hudson with the writers was amazing. We drank almost all the Ravines plus Greek wines. My aching liver. Best wine? Phelps Insignia by the glass at The Plaza.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yay for Hermann J. Wiemer and Dr. Frank!!

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

That was a post worthy of number 3000: looks like a lot of fun, audiophilia.

10. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Thx. It certainly was. Have four more bottles of Ravine's to get through.

The wine was so inexpensive. Nothing over $28. Tastings were $3

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

They charge for tastings in Finger Lake? For shame.

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

They charge for tastings in Finger Lake? For shame.

Dude, you spent how long on the North Coast? How many places left are there that don't charge for tastings?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Dude, you spent how long on the North Coast? How many places left are there that don't charge for tastings?

Most places in Sonoma offer free tastings. I remember paying for tastings very rarely.
    And despite California, the NY wine industry is in a very strange place. They make good wines, they think that they make great wines, and they feel they don't get as much press or exposure as they deserve. To me, it would make sense to give people some incentive to make the trip by offering tastings free of charge.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I think they have a bunch of great wines, though the best can be hard to find even in NYC. Wiemer dry and semi-dry riesling for $17 are delicious (and available by the glass at Ducasse) - their single vineyard rieslings are great. And the important ones, IMO, have been getting plenty of press. The biggest detriment to their growth and national exposure is the fact that the production isn't high enough.

In NY the charge at most places is like $3 or $4, and this is usually refunded should one buy a bottle. Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I doubt this really detracting visitors much.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't go to Sonoma as much but every place in Napa charges for tastings and has for at least ten years.

Wiemer is a great wine.