The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

the thivin seems to be changeable in the bottle. i bought some from a friend, who subsequently was so disappointed as compared to what he had the first time that he accused the winery of "extending" the harvest by bottling not-their-own production. two weeks later we tasted it together and it was fine. wine does funny things some times.
    I've had a lot of that wine, and nearly always enjoyed it. I have to admit, though, that I am really not very picky about wine. Maybe the first sip, but then I am pretty much just enjoying myself, the food and the company. That goes for wines of all levels. Now that I think about it, I should probably make that disclaimer whenever I make a suggestion.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

No, it was a few weeks ago now -- have just been running since our return. It was the only vineyard we had time for (major flight problems), and I couldn't even do the private tour that I had arranged.

The tasting experience, well, I mean, we went into a room where I nice guy poured me some wine and I tasted them while he discussed them. I've never done it before. I didn't talk about the wine much, and since it was the only one I was doing, I swallowed. Can't say that aspect of the experience was you know, special in any way. The Sauvy is fine though.

BTW, k, how long should I hold the Sauv and the PN before drinking them? I bow to your experience.

Well I will bow to Piob's much greater experience with ME in particular, since he is the one who turned me onto that winery however many years ago it was. For the Klopp Ranch, I'd drink it around 2014-2015. The Sauv blanc I wouldn't hold onto any longer than 2013, but it should be great anytime between now and then.

3. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

http://www.liocowine.com/pdfs/LABEL-PNMV07.pdf Anybody tried any of the stuff from Lioco? I had the 08(?) Michaud vineyard Pinot Noir last week and I've got a bottle of their Indica, which this time around is mostly old-vine Carignan and is supposed to be very tasty. The Michaud was one of those wines that you drink and then you think about it for days afterwards - intellectually stimulating. Really liked it. I want to try the Hirsch vineyard P.N. soon.

4. guster

guster Senior member

http://www.liocowine.com/pdfs/LABEL-PNMV07.pdf

Anybody tried any of the stuff from Lioco? I had the 08(?) Michaud vineyard Pinot Noir last week and I've got a bottle of their Indica, which this time around is mostly old-vine Carignan and is supposed to be very tasty. The Michaud was one of those wines that you drink and then you think about it for days afterwards - intellectually stimulating. Really liked it. I want to try the Hirsch vineyard P.N. soon.

I have not but had a friend tell me the Hirsch was the best thing they did.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

enjoyed this:
    [​IMG]

with this truffled brie from DiBruno Brothers:
    [​IMG]

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Kermit Lynch recently redid their previously useless website. kermitlynch.com OMG. Their new "our wines" section is so so so so so so so sick. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Kermit Lynch recently redid their previously useless website. kermitlynch.com OMG. Their new "our wines" section is so so so so so so so sick. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What's really crazy is how long most of those wines have been in their stable. They are recognizable now, but not when he found them. Really a genius.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I don't think I've ever seen the Italians he imports, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. Noted going forward.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

La Cardonne 2005. A steal at $19.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^^

$19 in Cali or locally?

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

^^^

$19 in Cali or locally?

I think I got it at Fairway. I checked on W-S, $19 is about right, but still for $19 it's quite good. Not really a steal.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. SOMD

SOMD Member

'08 Bojo's are much more reticent & traditional than the highly touted '09. For my taste, I've found the latter to be too fruit-forward & plump.

and in reference to Kermit Lynch's italian offerings, try to find a Langhe or Barolo from Guido Porro if you like more traditional Piedmontese bottles. They're moderately priced compared to other more well-known producers from that zona.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Well I will bow to Piob's much greater experience with ME in particular, since he is the one who turned me onto that winery however many years ago it was. For the Klopp Ranch, I'd drink it around 2014-2015. The Sauv blanc I wouldn't hold onto any longer than 2013, but it should be great anytime between now and then.
    Thanks, k!
    enjoyed this: with this truffled brie from DiBruno Brothers: [​IMG]
    Wow. Want!

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Is it wrong of me to select so highly on importer that I'm overjoyed to see the "Imported by Kermit Lynch" neck ring on bottles?

I just had a 2007 Domaine du Dragon Côtes de Provence CuvÃ[​IMG]e St. Michel- hoping to discover another garrigue dripping wine. It was fine, more animal musk (mouverdre?) than garrigue. I just love the St Martin of Garrigue Bronzinville much more.

So I went out and bought the 2010 Château de Trinquevedel Rose (a Tavel) only because it is imported by Kermit Lynch.