• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
the thivin seems to be changeable in the bottle. i bought some from a friend, who subsequently was so disappointed as compared to what he had the first time that he accused the winery of "extending" the harvest by bottling not-their-own production. two weeks later we tasted it together and it was fine. wine does funny things some times.
I've had a lot of that wine, and nearly always enjoyed it. I have to admit, though, that I am really not very picky about wine. Maybe the first sip, but then I am pretty much just enjoying myself, the food and the company. That goes for wines of all levels. Now that I think about it, I should probably make that disclaimer whenever I make a suggestion.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
No, it was a few weeks ago now -- have just been running since our return. It was the only vineyard we had time for (major flight problems), and I couldn't even do the private tour that I had arranged.

The tasting experience, well, I mean, we went into a room where I nice guy poured me some wine and I tasted them while he discussed them. I've never done it before. I didn't talk about the wine much, and since it was the only one I was doing, I swallowed. Can't say that aspect of the experience was you know, special in any way. The Sauvy is fine though.

BTW, k, how long should I hold the Sauv and the PN before drinking them? I bow to your experience.

Well I will bow to Piob's much greater experience with ME in particular, since he is the one who turned me onto that winery however many years ago it was. For the Klopp Ranch, I'd drink it around 2014-2015. The Sauv blanc I wouldn't hold onto any longer than 2013, but it should be great anytime between now and then.

Quatsch

Reaction score
http://www.liocowine.com/pdfs/LABEL-PNMV07.pdf Anybody tried any of the stuff from Lioco? I had the 08(?) Michaud vineyard Pinot Noir last week and I've got a bottle of their Indica, which this time around is mostly old-vine Carignan and is supposed to be very tasty. The Michaud was one of those wines that you drink and then you think about it for days afterwards - intellectually stimulating. Really liked it. I want to try the Hirsch vineyard P.N. soon.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
http://www.liocowine.com/pdfs/LABEL-PNMV07.pdf

Anybody tried any of the stuff from Lioco? I had the 08(?) Michaud vineyard Pinot Noir last week and I've got a bottle of their Indica, which this time around is mostly old-vine Carignan and is supposed to be very tasty. The Michaud was one of those wines that you drink and then you think about it for days afterwards - intellectually stimulating. Really liked it. I want to try the Hirsch vineyard P.N. soon.

I have not but had a friend tell me the Hirsch was the best thing they did.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
enjoyed this:
2411935540043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

with this truffled brie from DiBruno Brothers:
2374992080043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Kermit Lynch recently redid their previously useless website. kermitlynch.com OMG. Their new "our wines" section is so so so so so so so sick.
drool.gif
inlove.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Kermit Lynch recently redid their previously useless website. kermitlynch.com OMG. Their new "our wines" section is so so so so so so so sick.
drool.gif
inlove.gif

What's really crazy is how long most of those wines have been in their stable. They are recognizable now, but not when he found them. Really a genius.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen the Italians he imports, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. Noted going forward.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
La Cardonne 2005. A steal at $19.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
^^^

$19 in Cali or locally?

I think I got it at Fairway. I checked on W-S, $19 is about right, but still for $19 it's quite good. Not really a steal.

SOMD

Reaction score
'08 Bojo's are much more reticent & traditional than the highly touted '09. For my taste, I've found the latter to be too fruit-forward & plump.

and in reference to Kermit Lynch's italian offerings, try to find a Langhe or Barolo from Guido Porro if you like more traditional Piedmontese bottles. They're moderately priced compared to other more well-known producers from that zona.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well I will bow to Piob's much greater experience with ME in particular, since he is the one who turned me onto that winery however many years ago it was. For the Klopp Ranch, I'd drink it around 2014-2015. The Sauv blanc I wouldn't hold onto any longer than 2013, but it should be great anytime between now and then.
Thanks, k!
Originally Posted by gomestar
enjoyed this: with this truffled brie from DiBruno Brothers:
2374992080043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Wow. Want!

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong of me to select so highly on importer that I'm overjoyed to see the "Imported by Kermit Lynch" neck ring on bottles?

I just had a 2007 Domaine du Dragon Côtes de Provence CuvÃ
00a9.png
e St. Michel- hoping to discover another garrigue dripping wine. It was fine, more animal musk (mouverdre?) than garrigue. I just love the St Martin of Garrigue Bronzinville much more.

So I went out and bought the 2010 Château de Trinquevedel Rose (a Tavel) only because it is imported by Kermit Lynch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads