1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG]
    Party at my house. In twenty years.

I'm holding you to this.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Distinguished Member

You can cook. It'll be great.

What I'm actually drinking, though, and the reason I was at the wine shop in the first place is
    2008 Château St Martin de la Garrigue Bronzinelle. From the Coteaux du Languedoc, so it's cheap.

I'm just loving it- like a Bordeaux that grew up in the wild scrublands, a little racy, a little dusty.
    It works well with our Ameri-Chinese home cooking. It's been getting better and better over the last year.

So I'm exploring the whole of the South of France, gotta be in sight of the Mediterranean, wine thing.
    That dusty, racy, sun-baked taste is so interesting, so wild.

3. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

You can cook. It'll be great.

What I'm actually drinking, though, and the reason I was at the wine shop in the first place is
    2008 Château St Martin de la Garrigue Bronzinelle. From the Coteaux du Languedoc, so it's cheap.

I'm just loving it- like a Bordeaux that grew up in the wild scrublands, a little racy, a little dusty.
    It works well with our Ameri-Chinese home cooking. It's been getting better and better over the last year.

So I'm exploring the whole of the South of France, gotta be in sight of the Mediterranean, wine thing.
    That dusty, racy, sun-baked taste is so interesting, so wild.

That bronzinelle is nice, I've had it a few times and been pleased. Domaine Fontsainte is another longuedocian (actually in the aoc of Corbières) wine worth checking out, both the red (especially the 'demoiselle' bottling) and the gris-de-gris rosÃ[​IMG]. Much better wines than their price suggests. Make your way east and find a Bandol, and you'll get the truest sense of the south...

4. james_timothy

Domaine Fontsainte isn't one I've seen around here. I'll look.

Bandol, now, that is different. My first approach, Bastide Blanche 2007, was a disaster:

"This was just too young. On day one, I thought the wine had nothing for me. On day two, I could taste the youth. On day three, the youth was appealing. On day four, I could taste the underlying blueberry fruit, sense the beauty that the wine will become, years down the road." Admittedly, that was last summer.

I'm not sure how to approach it again- cool it to almost as cold as a white wine? Give it a herioc, Cahorian, 10 hour decant? Or just bite the bullet and let it sit for a couple of years?

5. tattersall

They are certainly exuberant wines - I've not had the Bastide Blanche but have greatly enjoyed Tempier, Terrebrune and Gros'NorÃ[​IMG]. I've had Tardieu-Laurent's bandol and did not care for it.

I drink them a little cooler than I would a bordeaux but that's also because we mostly have them in the summertime. Sometimes we decant, but this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves. As far as age goes, I follow Richard Olney's advice - bandol is best drunk young, old and in-between...

6. james_timothy

As far as age goes, I follow Richard Olney's advice - bandol is best drunk young, old and in-between...
    He's invited, in spirit, to the party. I loved reading Inspiring Thirst.... ps: "this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves"... beat it with a stick, then. I'll give that a try.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior Member

Had a 1989 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape the other night. Has anyone else had the pleasure of consuming this wine?

8. james_timothy

^^ A 22 year old southern rhone? No, that's not in my experience base. It has lots of love on cellar tracker. What was it like?

9. tattersall

He's invited, in spirit, to the party.

I loved reading Inspiring Thirst....

ps: "this is a wine that need not be handled with kid-gloves"... beat it with a stick, then. I'll give that a try.

When you mentioned the Ducru deal, I thought of a passage in Olney's excellent autobiography of his buying '47 Ducru by the case in the early fifties for the equivalent of $1.80 per bottle.

Your southern wine buying inspired me - we're drinking $13 Picpoul de Pinet tonight by l'Ormarine. Squid is on the menu so it should go well.

10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior Member

^^ A 22 year old southern rhone? No, that's not in my experience base. It has lots of love on cellar tracker. What was it like?

The experience was pretty wild. Upon opening, you really get that "barnyard funk" on the nose, as a result of the brett. It blows off quickly, leaving berries, leather, mushrooms, wood. The palate was cherries, tobacco, earth and meat. Plenty of acidity. Medium bodied, with some bricking along the edge of the glass. This is just from memory, and I'm terrible at tasting notes.

I have another bottle that I will be opening on my birthday in a couple months.

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Distinguished Member

Old faithful. $21 [​IMG]

12. audiophilia

audiophilia Distinguished Member

A great Zin, a fine Pinot, a top notch Shiraz and a very disappointing Yankee sparkler. $70, $30, $50 and $33 respectively.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I like Roederer. Granted, at $33, you overpaid. But at the $19.99 I buy it at it's a good deal.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Winner winner chicken dinner. Damn son. I love Kracher.