• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sweetbread fritters with a sauce made from celeriac and a bit of black truffle with...
laugh.gif
...a Fevre Bougros 2006 that my friends brought.

- B

Mmm...truffle sweetbreads...Fevre's all around last night! Have you ever tried a Chablis from Raveneau? If not do yourself a favor and grab one. Head and shoulders above any other Chablis. The Montee de Tonnerre and Butteaux premier cru's are the best buys in the range. All recent vintages you can find on the market - 2005 - 2008 are all solid.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sweetbread fritters with a sauce made from celeriac and a bit of black truffle with...
laugh.gif
...a Fevre Bougros 2006 that my friends brought.

- B

summer truffles are small time.

guster

Reaction score
I served two Baumard Quarts de Chaume last night, one a 2002 and the other a 2007. Delicious.

Not sure this counts, but I also made a sorbet to preceed the main course from a Daron XO calvados: essentially just the calvados with the alcohol flamed off, then just a tablespoon of simple syrup, timed to finish just before the course.

- B

I liked the '02 QdC quite a bit. Never had the '07. Did you prefer one over the other?

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
And what was served in between?

Drank a 2002 Chablis Clos William Fevre last night. Textbook, but also a bit soul-less. I enjoyed a 2002 Vaudesir from him much more this Spring.

I bought a lot of the '02 Fevre back when they were cheap. I thought the Clos & Preuse were the best early on but not as much in recent years. First, I have had too many premox '02 Fevre Clos. I agree the Vaudesir has been terrific but I have really loved the '02 Valmur out of all of them. Have had a few Valmur suffering from premox as well but when it has been on it has been delicious.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Mmm...truffle sweetbreads...Fevre's all around last night! Have you ever tried a Chablis from Raveneau? If not do yourself a favor and grab one. Head and shoulders above any other Chablis. The Montee de Tonnerre and Butteaux premier cru's are the best buys in the range. All recent vintages you can find on the market - 2005 - 2008 are all solid.

My personal favorite chablis is Dauvissat (Rene & Vincent/Camus NOT Jean Dauvissat). But I also have not tried Raveneau with significant age. Friends of mine argue that Raveneau is meant to age and I will change my opinion after trying. I have some '02 Raveneau (Premier - not Grand Cru) and I will continue to sit on those for a while.

guster

Reaction score
Had a Turley Black Sears Zin 1996 last night. I didn't think these big alcohol wines would last so well. But this wine was Ok. Certainly on the down side of it's life but it still had some decent fruit left. A bit too raisiny for me but the people I was with liked it a lot.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Austran riesling is quickly rising on my list of great wine.

well done

what was in your glass(es)?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
Both Austrian Riesling and Gruner Veltliner are tremendously underappreciated and undervalued. The advantage of this is that it allows them to be priced very cheaply. The disadvantage is that they have the potential to get quickly overvalued.

€ 35,- per bottle at the winery.

that's fairly cheap?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
And there are some Austrian rieslings that age wonderfully. Pichler (Both Rudi & FX), Prager, Knoll, Heidler are just a few that come to mind. Wonderful stuff.

exactly.

actually, the "house" riesling from willi bründlmayer is a very good foray into this territory.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
My personal favorite chablis is Dauvissat (Rene & Vincent/Camus NOT Jean Dauvissat). But I also have not tried Raveneau with significant age. Friends of mine argue that Raveneau is meant to age and I will change my opinion after trying. I have some '02 Raveneau (Premier - not Grand Cru) and I will continue to sit on those for a while.

I love Dauvissat as well, but for me Raveneau usually has an extra dimension that sets it apart. I also find Raveneau much more consistent while Dauvissat has a good amount of variation especially once the wines hit age 7-ish where premature oxidation has reared its ugly head. If you haven't had an 02 Raveneau recently you should try one as they're starting to drink beautifully. Might be my favorite vintage from them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

If this was a reply to me, I didn't even get to see it.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If this was a reply to me, I didn't even get to see it.
frown.gif

All he said to you was "oh STFU..... plating was beautiful.... big square white plates"

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Staying at 10 Fitch in Auburn. Would love 6 or 7 recs for good red wine. Very much appreciated. Some info on youtube, but a little confusing. Happy to drive the three finger lakes. Thx.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Finger Lakes - Hermann J. Wiemer makes some awesome stuff, as does Dr. Konstantin Frank. My favorites and worth seeking out. Wagner is also good. If you can drive in to Ithaca, there's a great wine store next to a Five Guy's burger place. I forget the name of it. For food, I like Hazelnut Kitchen, The Heights, Taverna Banfi, and Danos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads