Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Those are both twice what I was looking to spend. Think I'll probably go with Manton's BV suggestion unless you know cheaper Sauternes. He buys his wine at Costco and has generally boring food and drink taste, so "pretty good" may carry the same weight as "best." Not to imply that you guys would know the "pretty good" range of course.

Thanks though. I may use one of those for Genevieve's birthday.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The problem, really, is that with white wines, pretty good is pretty awful 30 years on. Go with Manton.

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

For 1980 relatively inexpensive wines, California is going to be your best bet.

At the highest levels, I've had some amazing 1980 Red Burgundies in case you're ever looking to go crazy. A very special vintage for many producers.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I see. Thanks again. I really know very little about wine.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I've been drinking Chateau Lanessan lately, and liking it very much. 2005 and 2001. There's a lot of the 2001 floating around out here, at about $20. It's a everyday style of Bordeaux, for food. The back story is that just a ditch separates it from St Julien and, I think, Gruaurd Larose. So its a $20 Haut Medoc that fits in the rest of my Kermit Lynch and Washington wine weekend wines. One of the things I like about it is that it seems to knife edged perched between being really good and floundering. The knife edge is interesting.

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I've been drinking Chateau Lanessan lately, and liking it very much. 2005 and 2001. There's a lot of the 2001 floating around out here, at about $20. It's a everyday style of Bordeaux, for food. The back story is that just a ditch separates it from St Julien and, I think, Gruaurd Larose. So its a $20 Haut Medoc that fits in the rest of my Kermit Lynch and Washington wine weekend wines. One of the things I like about it is that it seems to knife edged perched between being really good and floundering. The knife edge is interesting.

+1...I've always enjoyed Lanessan from decent vintages.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i had a concha y toro marques du casa with some bbq (ribs, brisket, pulled pork) from dinosaur bbq in syracuse. delicious

10. juniper

juniper Senior member

Just picked up a random 1986 Mosel Kabinett from the local merchants for 10 quid. The cork was so loose that it was virtually floating, and touching it with the corkscrew pushed it in.

Slightly dried out, but still alive, and a bargain.

11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I served two Baumard Quarts de Chaume last night, one a 2002 and the other a 2007. Delicious.

Not sure this counts, but I also made a sorbet to preceed the main course from a Daron XO calvados: essentially just the calvados with the alcohol flamed off, then just a tablespoon of simple syrup, timed to finish just before the course.

- B

QdC is a dessert wine I could drink regularly.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Served the 2002 with the first course, a bunch of fresh Wellfleets and some salt-preserved lemons.

Served the 2007 with the desert, carmelized fresh pineapple in butter.

- B

And what was served in between?

Drank a 2002 Chablis Clos William Fevre last night. Textbook, but also a bit soul-less. I enjoyed a 2002 Vaudesir from him much more this Spring.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

2009 Les Vins Jean Claude Debeaune Fleurie Clos des Quatre Vents. Very fruity with the typical nose I associate with the grape and region. Very purplish with not long lasting but noticeable tannins. For the money I would drink again.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member