• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
humidity can make a difference. I see Pio's point and agree that too much upright can be not so good. Surely he must have a later vintage from a similar producer to compare it with.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
2009 Jamet Vin De Pays syrah at RN 74 in SF. What a delicious, lip smacking wine. Never seen this VdP bottling from Jamet, but it would be a great introduction to Old World syrah for anyone interested in taking the plunge. Great aromatics, a bit more fruit forward than you might expect, but lots of black pepper. Really a treat, would love to have some in the cellar, though I don't know that I could keep my hands off.

I was very impressed with the wine list at RN 74 - I have a friend-of-a-friend connection with Wilf Jaeger and we were treated very well when we had lunch there a month or so ago.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Score.

2 hour decant.

Huge strawberries on the nose. Very sophisticated and structured. Quite acidic back end. Paired beautifully with the beef. Our guest loved it.

not bad for a village. Well done.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Had a 2009 Herman Wiemer Dry Reisling. Very nice wine and a good value at under $20. Was not as dry as I would have expected, was well balanced.

fistbump.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Had a 2009 Herman Wiemer Dry Reisling. Very nice wine and a good value at under $20. Was not as dry as I would have expected, was well balanced.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
'95 Vieux Telegraphe. Great stuff.

I had this wine a month or so ago. 2 bottles left and I think it still has a number of years left

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Had an Prager Gruner, 06. Cork crumbled. I think it was because they've been storing the bottles upright. Wine was okay but not great.

Which Prager GV? What a shame

guster

Reaction score
4 good wines over the weekend.

Neil Ellis Sauvignon Blanc '08. Crisp SB. Good but not great. Good with fish dish.

'04 Matrot Perrieres: I am a fan of this producer/site. They are supposed to have a pretty big premox problem. And belive me, I have had a lot of white burgs from my cellar with premox. But again, I get lucky with Matrot and the bottle is in good shape. Delicious, stones and white fruit

Turley Moore Earhquake '04: Only got a glass of this as a friend was loving the wine and she was throwing it down while I was drinking the white. The Moore Earthquake has been one of my least favorite Turley wines. Always seems to have high alcohol and overripe. You could argue that is the Turley style but this vineyard always has stuck me even more so. But tonight the 1 glass I did get was tasting well. Did not seem as overirpe as in years past.

Tyler Dierberg Block 5 Pinot '08: I tried my 1st bottle of Tyler only a few weeks ago. And I dove back in this weekend to drink another bottle. Lots of bright cherry, it hits you right away in a big way. With a few hours of air, the earthiness of the wine shows more.

Marc Sorrel Le Greal '98: Didn't give much for the 1st hour. Have loved this wine in the past and worried about this bottle. Decanted and started to come alive after an hour. Dark berries and earth. Delicious. The most complete wine of the weekend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Premox is (one of) the reasons why aging white Burg scares me.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
'95 Vieux Telegraphe. Great stuff.

Yum! I had a 1995 CDP Clos des Papes the other week that was spectacular. The 95's are in a good place right now and will be for a while.

That's why you should buy and drink as many 2007 White Burgundies as you can in the next year or so.

guster

Reaction score

And the reason I rarely buy it anymore.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
And the reason I rarely buy it anymore.

I refuse to be daunted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads