The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I love the RRV. It's like home to me. [​IMG]
    This surprises me.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

This surprises me.

Why?

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Why?
    For the same reasons I was surprised whnay was drinking Mollydooker. KB would seem, um, different in character, than wines you've expressed interest in previously. I may, however, be confusing you with another poster. You've been working/training as a sommelier, no?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

For the same reasons I was surprised whnay was drinking Mollydooker. KB would seem, um, different in character, than wines you've expressed interest in previously. I may, however, be confusing you with another poster. You've been working/training as a sommelier, no?

Even if you're into the funkiest, most austere Burg, what's not to like about a KB? Sure, almost like it's from a different grape but it is easy to drink and actually has some depth to its lushness and fruit.

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Even if you're into the funkiest, most austere Burg, what's not to like about a KB? Sure, almost like it's from a different grape but it is easy to drink and actually has some depth to its lushness and fruit.

If I had to pick a wine that represented what I dislike most in CA wine, it would be Kosta Browne. I've tasted several of their wines, my sister is on their mailing list, and I'm not sure I've ever actually swallowed a taste. I don't generally care for big alcoholic wines, but some grapes take that style better than others. Pinot isn't one of them. And I say that as someone who doesn't drink much red Burgundy.

6. Piobaire

If I had to pick a wine that represented what I dislike most in CA wine, it would be Kosta Browne. I've tasted several of their wines, my sister is on their mailing list, and I'm not sure I've ever actually swallowed a taste. I don't generally care for big alcoholic wines, but some grapes take that style better than others. Pinot isn't one of them. And I say that as someone who doesn't drink much red Burgundy.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

from this past weekend. The Valpolicella was $20 and awesome, easily the best I've had at less than $35:
    [​IMG]

and a burg. This one was ok, it needs a little bit of time to integrate (I knew it was young from the start). Would try again next year:
    [​IMG]

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

De gustibus non est disputandum.

I agree.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Had a bottle of Regis Bouvier Clos du Roy 2007 Marsannay Blanc last night. A 25-30 dollar wine, it has the complexity of a $70-80 puligny. Really excellent, and as improved a lot over the last year.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ohhhh, yeah, I get why you're confused then. I've never tasted a Kosta Browne wine. I meant that I consider the Russian River Valley itself home, because that's really where I feel like I came into adulthood and "made it" on my own and as a professional. I like CA pinot, but was told by a master sommelier that I had a very European palate, which I considered a compliment.

11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Ohhhh, yeah, I get why you're confused then. I've never tasted a Kosta Browne wine. I meant that I consider the Russian River Valley itself home, because that's really where I feel like I came into adulthood and "made it" on my own and as a professional. I like CA pinot, but was told by a master sommelier that I had a very European palate, which I considered a compliment.

Ah, sorry, I thought you were saying the Kosta Browne RRV bottling was like home to you. My bad.

12. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

KOSTA BROWNE! My allocation is here too and I'm excited to get some more.

If you want to know more about KB let me know as I'm originally from that part of northern california.

Williams Selyem and KB allocation here I come!!

Cheers

13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

For the person who said he didnt like KB, I automatically thought "hes out of his mind". Then again, everyone is different. I'm not a big pinot fan either whereas I'm a huge cab fan but I love the pinots from sonoma valley.

If you dont like KB, try Williams Selyem. They are arguably the most renowned pinot maker in sonoma county. They have a cult like following. If not, try Rivers marie. Moderately priced and tasty.

If you want to spend some bucks, try Sea Smoke near San Luis Obispo. Very very very good! Probably the best out of all I've had.

Cheers

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

On this forum, Merry Edwards is the cream of the Sonoma crop. I say that with full confidence because I'm the most important member of the forum, and I love it.

15. Piobaire

I don't really like Pinot but I find Loring has the least fruit.