The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

lol

Placement not too good. Photo is after two margaritas.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

lol

Placement not too good. Photo is after two margaritas.

I think it's partially my incredible hangover too. I'm halfway zoned out and saw and just thought "whoooooaaaaaa."

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I'm almost certain Brewer Clifton allows their chards to go through MLF, and they are fully oaked, so the tannic quality could be from the barrel and the high acidity that you mentioned.

According to Parker they do use full MLF and use neutral oak for all of their chardonnays.

4. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

According to Parker they do use full MLF and use neutral oak for all of their chardonnays.

Yep, I was pretty sure - I haven't had one of their chards in a while, though, so I couldn't say definitively. Good stuff, from what I recall.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

And with Duckhorn's Goldeneye Pinots now $50, the Decoy label is a good alternative. ]

I'm still sitting on the last few bottles out of a case of 2006 Goldeneye that I got last year on sale for about $29/bottle. I think I have 5 bottles left. I should stretch it out more, but it's hard. The stuff's so good and I have no self-control.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Friday night: 2002 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon. Really enjoyed it and it reminded me why I "got into" wine.

Tonight: Undecided but most likely a big B.

7. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Audio it looks like you're about to make a frothed wine cappuccino!

a Pinoccino [​IMG]

8. Mark from Plano

2004 Ondarre Rioja Reserva. Deep rich color. Cherries and leather on the nose. Flavors of red fruit and coffee. Moderate finish. Moderately oaked with firm tannins. Very nice wine. Outstanding QPR. This was a $13 WTSO purchase last January.

9. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I picked up a couple of bottles on Friday from Just Grapes. One was a fav of mine the La Cartuja Priorat 2009, which was every bit as good as the past two vintages that I've had and the other was this Pinot Noir from Napa Valley near Carneros and Mt. Veeder along the Redwood Creek.

This Pinot shows deep garnet and ruby in the glass with a rich warm nose of spiced red berrier, leather and earth with hints of backing spice. The palate is treated to bold red and dark fruit flavours with touches of cocoa and toast brought on with a good decant and the 11 months of 50% new French Oak aging. The Finish is well balanced a nicely structured with supple and velvety tannins mingled with a fresh but not too tart acidity.

2007 Hendry, Hendry Vineyard, Napa Valley - Pinot Noir

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

i have run out of drinking wine! all my wine, to me, is special occasion wine at the moment.

i went out to Costco and picked up layer cakes shiraz, and a bunch of kirklands napa valley wine. quite deliccious for the price!

i can't wait for my cases of l'ecole to come in.

on a organizing note, how do you guys organize or categorize your wine by knowing when/how to drink it?

i made a little google spreadsheet, but wanted something a little more robust as my wine collection has grown

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Bishop, check our cellartracker.com Should be exactly what you're looking for and has a lot of other features as well.

12. Mark from Plano

Bishop, check our cellartracker.com Should be exactly what you're looking for and has a lot of other features as well.

+1 on Cellartracker. It's shareware. The basic functionality is free. They ask for a donation based on the number of bottles in your collection. Recommended contribution for fewer than 500 bottles is $36 a year, I think. If you pay the donation, you also get some additional premium content, like access to certain wine blog reviews of your wines and some auction values as well.

It has a function in it which puts in a drinking window either based on community averages, or if you subscribe to another service...WineSpectator or WineAdvocate, say...you can input the drinking windows that they recommend. Or you can enter your own. It then calculates, based on your purchases and the drinking windows how many bottles are available to drink. There are several algorithms that you can select from, or allow it to just use the default one.

Great service. I've been using it for 4-5 years now.

13. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

thank you very much!!

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG] cellar tracker.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

tonight is this to quench the thirst while cooking:
    [​IMG]

and this to have with some dinner:
    [​IMG]