The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tonight we had a bottle of 2002 St. Supery Cabernet. Not bad - I don't drink a lot of Napa cab and it's a bit bigger than I like in general but it went well with a New York steak and baked potato on a damp night (went old school).

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Why, exactly, should I be all for other people drinking the wines I like and driving up the prices?

There's no rational reason.

Speaking of which, thoughts on the other vineyards the brothers from Vieux Telegraphe own?

Also, anyone have a link to a detailed map of CdP? I want to get familiar with the location of the vineyards there and track our tasting around CdP.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

There's no rational reason. Speaking of which, thoughts on the other vineyards the brothers from Vieux Telegraphe own? Also, anyone have a link to a detailed map of CdP? I want to get familiar with the location of the vineyards there and track our tasting around CdP.
    Here ya go buddy.

4. Piobaire

Here ya go buddy.

Nah, I Googled for nearly an hour yesterday. I could not find a detailed map of CdP. Best I could find was maps of all of southern Rhone, which is more macro than what I'm searing for.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

There's no rational reason.

Speaking of which, thoughts on the other vineyards the brothers from Vieux Telegraphe own?

Also, anyone have a link to a detailed map of CdP? I want to get familiar with the location of the vineyards there and track our tasting around CdP.

La Roquette is quite good, and can be consumed very young. Pigoulet is great for the price. I actually like the white Telegramme more than the white Telegraphe, but in general I don't like southern Rhone whites. Pallieres is phenomenal. All, however, are basically traditional wines, so not as big as most of the others in the area, not as flamboyant etc.

6. Piobaire

La Roquette is quite good, and can be consumed very young. Pigoulet is great for the price. I actually like the white Telegramme more than the white Telegraphe, but in general I don't like southern Rhone whites. Pallieres is phenomenal. All, however, are basically traditional wines, so not as big as most of the others in the area, not as flamboyant etc.

Dood, I was talking in code so prices don't go up!

Just got $300 in gift certs at K&L. They don't have any Roquete. [​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Oh, last night with some great tapas style nosh, 05 ME Olivet Lane PN.

Did not ask waiter to decant, just poured it. This wine is drinking fine right now. Visual was star bright, medium intensity, medium bodied. Rim variation showed a move towards orangey. Nose was full of sweet cherries, apples, apple pie spice. Palate confirms with also a little vanilla and pepper. Acid was medium and balanced with the tannins and fruits. It was drinking just perfectly for me and the bottle was finished all too fast. I don't have any in the cellar and this makes me sad [​IMG] Maybe it was just the vintage but Olivet Lane might have just become my favorite SVD from her.

8. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Last night was an enjoyable Barbaresco - I don't know italian wines but this one drank very well although it needed a lot of time to open up - probably too young. Produttori del Barbaresco 2004 Riserva "Asili" if I understand the label correctly with "Albeisa" stamped on the bottle. Extremely tannic at first that softened after an hour, I detected 'red' floral notes, almost rose-like at times. Fruit was cherry-ish. Will drink again.

Tonight is drinks and bites at a friend's while our kids play - I'm taking a 2002 Mercurey from Moillard.

9. Piobaire

Okay, K&L Wines, CdP, prefer $50 or under. Recs appreciated. I have $300 to spend. Might look into a Burg or two, if I can get some good recs.

10. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Okay, K&L Wines, CdP, prefer $50 or under. Recs appreciated. I have $300 to spend. Might look into a Burg or two, if I can get some good recs.

I've had this - it is superb:
    http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1059300

11. Piobaire

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Last night was an enjoyable Barbaresco - I don't know italian wines but this one drank very well although it needed a lot of time to open up - probably too young. Produttori del Barbaresco 2004 Riserva "Asili" if I understand the label correctly with "Albeisa" stamped on the bottle. Extremely tannic at first that softened after an hour, I detected 'red' floral notes, almost rose-like at times. Fruit was cherry-ish. Will drink again.

the Produttori del Barbaresco is the "producer", it's like a unique collaboration among many Nebbiolo growers within the DOCG of Barbarseco. The end result is often very good (especially for the price point) and easy to find as they have many offerings (including Albeisa). I think they have everything from single vineyards to the general AOC Barbarseco for under $40.

And I rarely try to approach either Barolo or Barbaresco with under a decade of age. I would have given that one at least an hour or two of decanting with the full knowledge that it was a little too young.

Tonight was a basic AOC Bordeaux from 2009. Pass.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice light chianti. Mmm... cherries and minerals. Not as dry and tannic as most chiantis. Also, under 10 bucks. Cool little pig label. Would be good with pork now that I think of it. [​IMG] 2008 La Maialina Chianti (not the riserva)

15. Piobaire