1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Win.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Hey, I am not so easy. The Goldeneye is for the restaurant. The 6 pak of killer Tempranillo I bought so that I could get a free magnum might be considered being bought. But I still don't think so.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

;)

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Absolutely.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the ramonet and d'yquem were really lovely, it was a treat for my other half's birthday. It's hard not to be addicted to that d'yquem smell.

The wine list is interesting at Jean Georges, not nearly as vast as the other 4-star places in NY. They had three Chablis. Three. And I didn't see any rieslings from the Wachau. But still plenty of good finds for not much money. Great list of ports and madieras by the glass.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

from what i remember i think there's a second menu that's thick as a tome that you have to ask for

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

stupid idea

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah. i would imagine their larger menu is so large that it'd be cumbersome to give to ppl and i dont think most ppl would know what to do with it

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Thats a good idea..... Until someone with a great palate amd some cash to spend (like gomey) comes in and doesnt know theres a second book. In other words, stupid idea.

10. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

staggeringly good sauternes :thumbs-up:

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Had this tonight because why not?

1982 Barbaresco Santo Stefano Castello di Neive
    [​IMG]

Classic, old-school Piedmont. It's been 5 years since I last had this personal favorite and I recently found 8 bottles for a steal that were from a cellar who bought them on release - just the way I like it. This grower owns the Santo Stefano vineyard which is where the iconic Bruno Giacosa purchases his grapes. IMO, this is the best vineyard in Barbaresco. 9 times out of 10 I distinctly smell a white truffle. Not white truffle shavings, but the raw pungency of the whole truffle fresh from the ground. Tonight was no exception. Aromas of crystal clear cherries and leather and dirt were present along with a gritty, lingering palate that paired beyond perfectly with mushroom/pumpkin risotto, skirt steak and rapini. One of THOSE fun wine experiences.

12. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

I haven't kept up with ramonet but recently read a review that said something like "reminiscent of the glory days of ramonet"...what's up with that? Has ramonet gone downhill?

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Yep. They suffer from premature-oxidation more than most White Burgundy producers. A good majority of Ramonet's wines from 1995 - 2002 are oxidized and more recent vintages likely will be as well in the next few years. Very sad. They don't know the cause, but a combination of many things such as bad corks, lower sulfur levels, changes in winemaking, etc. Lots of stuff online if you google white burgundy premature oxidation.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright, I am taking it down a notch. I have found one of those deals on bords from a lesser known Chateau. I grabbed this quick one night and returned the next day and bought a case. 80/20 Merlot Cab S blend. I particularly like this combo, a lot of red berries upfront, slightly spicy and a hint of tannins on the finish. For $9 a bottle I am not complaining. [​IMG] Also, a crosspost from "Declicious Wines":
    Since the time I first posted this a few months ago I have gotten a couple cases of it. I think it is a excellent wine and for about $125 a case and it makes a perfect everyday drinker. I bought it at the recommendation of gomestar who told me for good value reds to look at Corbiere, and Languedoc region. As I have had a chance to drink a bunch of it I have a much better sense of it. It is a bit gamey on the nose, not as much as a Bandol, but there nonetheless, a bit spicy and has a bit of tannins at the finish, which I like. I have had some other Corbieres and while I can't remember the producer they were imports by Jenny & Francois. IMO, this Kermit Lynch import beats them in the balance game (the J&F were way too spicy) and this one is about half the price. My only gripe with it is that it does not hold well after being opened. About 6 hours you can really tell the difference in flavor. 24 hours later I find it to be undrinkable. This meant that every time you pop one open you have to be ready to finish it. Much more expensive wines from both the Rhone Valley and Bourdeaux I have found to improve after 24 hours after being opened. I guess you can't have it all for about $10.50 a bottle.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Oh, now that is awesome.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Informal survey by probably the least Bordeaux-phile here: right bank or left bank?

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like both, however I have definitely had better experiences with the right bank thus far, south of Cotes de Blaye. Graves in the south is known and regarded highly, however I have had less great wine from there than I have had in either the left or right banks.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+100! Looks awesome.

no preference.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

For aging, left bank, for drinking now (or soon), right bank. Rough guide, not reliable for every wine, etc.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In my very limited experience, that is my assessment too. Given that the aged Bordeaux I have the chance to drink is few and far between...right bank for me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011