The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Guigal entry level tonite. Some pretty average plonk (the Rhone apologists with us were jizzing over it) . Heard his top level stuff is fine.

3. audiophilia

[​IMG]

Last night 2008 Le Volte from Tenuta dell'Ornellaia

So many people rave about this wine, and if it was the 2005 or 2006 I could understand the hype, but I'm not getting it here. On the nose there was some dark fruit, cherry, tar, and at one point maybe even some bone marrow. On the pallate it lacked in depth and found the tannins to be pretty bitter. To be fair this wine is young and could use some time to mellow out. It is obviously a well made wine and did have some finesse but it didnt do it for me. For a similar styled wine with the same blend of varietals I found Brancaia's Tre to be much more enjoyable at a more attractive price.

agreed. overhype.

Their middling wine at 70 bux was awesome! The top wine is supposed to be superb.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Guigal entry level tonite. Some pretty average plonk (the Rhone apologists with us were jizzing over it) . Heard his top level stuff is fine.

I haven't been a fran of a lot of Guigal. I had his Cote-Rotie a few years ago and thought it was a disappointment, but then again I didn't exactly have the sharpest of palates back then (not that I would say I do now). His Cote du Rhone rose was nice the last time I had it (another 2-3 years ago).

I've never had his super prices Rhones like La Mouline.

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

[​IMG]

BOOM! He back!

Was this directed towards me? If so, LOL. If not, disregard previous statement. Regardless, I will continue to rep Italian wine in this thread. It looks like as of recent there hasnt been much love for the Aye-Thais around these parts.

agreed. overhype.

Their middling wine at 70 bux was awesome! The top wine is supposed to be superb.

Le Serre Nuove? I remember you had posted some Canadian government booze website a few months back seeking recommendations and this was one of the wines I had suggested. Whether or not you picked up that wine based on my suggestion I still feel special. Masseto is supposed to be phenomenal...

PS
    If anyone missed me(doubt it) I apologize, but I was posting under my other account Petrus1.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I have missed you FWIW. Where ya been? All good?

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Yea, real busy with work, school, and got a job offer so this little robot has not had much time with the vino, but that's gonna change. Thanks for asking.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I drink it all the time. A nice bottle to bring to a party.

Pretty good for the price. Fun party sparkler. We had the rosÃ[​IMG] version.

I basically like all rose champange.

Me, too.

Opened this tonight. Really enjoyed it. More complex than many CdRs I've had. I'm a sucker for a Rhone, though.

[​IMG]

9. audiophilia

Le Serre Nuove?

Yes. Had a couple of bottles. They were wonderful.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Was this directed towards me? If so, LOL. If not, disregard previous statement. Regardless, I will continue to rep Italian wine in this thread. It looks like as of recent there hasnt been much love for the Aye-Thais around these parts.

It was directed to Petrus before his poasts were deleted. And there has been plenty of love for the eye-ties, it just seems that way with the Champagne jig I've bee on as of late.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Out of morbid curiousity, what was his screen name this time?

Last night I drank Kendall Jackson Chard. Wife's office party. [​IMG]

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Petrus'
    Very original

13. Piobaire

[​IMG]

I guess since we figured his posting style was so "unique," why bother hiding who it is?

Just got a case of Sea Smoke in, my last allocation that was pending. A mix of Ten, Southing, and Botella.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Petrus'
    Very original

doesn't the bottle say Petrvs? It seems like this would have been the logical next step.

15. Piobaire

I am vowing to drink more Frenchie wines in 11. I think I vowed this in '10 too.

First region, southern Rhone. I won't be buying any for a few weeks though, as I have to drink some room into the cellar. [​IMG] or [​IMG] not sure which.