1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Hmm, I'm not big on Beaujolais (maybe I just haven't had the right ones). The riesling option seems intriguing. Champagne's not a T-giving faux pas, is it?

I had a rack of lamb Thanksgiving a few years back. That was fun, and a welcome respite from turkey.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    champagne is never a faux pas at any course in any meal ...
    as someone who is constantly trying new food for work, thanksgiving is the one meal that i really go all-out to serve what the other people at the table want. and what they want (at least at my table), is tradition: turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberries, etc. i do try to give them the very best version of those that I can, and often a twist on what they're expecting (a couple of years ago my niece asked for sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows ... i did a sweet potato puree and topped it with a pecan souffle ... worked really well). but for the most part, it's a thank-you meal to all those who have to put up with me for the rest of the year.

1 person likes this.
  3. erictheobscure

This makes a lot of sense. I cooked the rack of lamb for myself (and, as a first-generation immigrant, I barely have any memories of traditional Tgiving dinners from my childhood), my girlfriend, and a good friend of ours who's English and for whom Tgiving was just an excuse to hang out and drink with us. I did do a more traditional meal the following year, and that was fun too.

Sweet potato puree and pecan souffle sounds awesome--would you happen to have a link with your recipe?

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

ack, dammit. it was hazelnuts.
    eta: i now add a teaspoon of sugar to the egg whites, just to boost the flavor.

yes, i'm a pimp edina.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Didnt read the article. So did you put the sweet potato in little ramekins, top with souffle, amd bake?

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, here is my story...

My mother is actually a really good cook, and she loves to cook, loves to entertain and everybody always is happy at her parties. I also have an absolutely horrible family that came to the equation with my father. I mean, my mother is a saint to have put up with these heathens. Edinatlanta would be like God's gift to my family compared to the halves. Anyway, Thanksgiving was when it always went bad. Either there would be a mound of cocaine found, or plates would be flying through the air near the kids rooms, or daughters-in-law would be causing just unmentionable problems. It was always bad. Bad, bad, bad. Now, my poor mother, who has her faults but is generally very nice, would respond to all of this by cooking the dryest, most disgusting turkey imaginable, along with Pepperidge Farms stuffing and other disgusting shit. It was an all around clusterfuck. Awful, awful, awful. Then, finally, one year we had to live through a 10 year old niece screaming for anti-anxiety pills on the plane, one daughter in law so drunk she couldn't talk and the other sporting a black leather purse tag from the Folsom Street Festival and talking about how her daughter had found her whips. That was it. That and the dry fucking turkey again. So, we split. Now we invite those we like, including my mother, and we never, ever have turkey.

1 person likes this.
  7. erictheobscure

Man, white-family dysfunction and Korean-family dysfunction are radically different. At least yours comes with mounds of cocaine.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

K, did not see a Chard. Just got some of her SB and for Pinot just the RRV blend. Trying to keep at least a hundred slots open for our Paso/Santa Barbara trip.

9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I've told my wife we're never having it again at our house. It's difficult to cook, generally sucks, and I'd rather eat just about anything else.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i heard these stories. but i gotta say, i like turkey. just weird that way.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like it too, but only once a year.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1

and I think I like it mostly for the sandwiches after.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

We're like brothers from another mother. :slayer:

I always skip family thanksgiving and xmas. I tend to visit my grandparents after the heathens have departed because I like them but don't wish to suffer the company of the others. It's hilarious that your mother deliberately ruins the turkey. :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I met the winemaker for Mollydooker yesterday. He seemed nice.

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Changyu red wine.
    [​IMG]
    Medium dry from Shandong Province.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Red Tail Ridge semi-dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes. Lovely.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Tell him that I cannot abide his wine.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is it just me or is Herman Wiemer the only reason to drink anything from NY? :confused:

I don't have much love for anything else I have had from NY.

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

no, there's a lot of really great stuff, mostly riesling. Manton and I tasted at least a dozen different producers (and a number of wines from each producer) a few weeks ago at some Union Square food event, and I can't recall any duds, maybe one or two in the group. Any duds were well offset by a few late harvest wines from Standing Stone that were simply sensational and $24.

the times did an article on the Finger Lakes 2-3 weeks ago, check it out.