1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

:slayer: Major approval here.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1 to this, though I have a strong preference to just buy a bottle from the list. Usually I get a glass of Champs, a white, and a red. In fact I can only recall doing two wine pairings in the past year or two, one being at the Fat Duck (which was very well done), and the other being the fancy pairing at Le Bernardin (which was fine but next time I'll be buying a nice Chablis to last the meal).

I'd consider pairings again if a menu had like 4-6 interesting wines that I had little experience with. It's fun to try different things.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

one chablis for the whole meal?

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

well, unless I'm with somebody. Then we'll have two.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So the latest edition of the WS is out declaring that the 09 CA Pinot vintage is yet another vintage of the century type hype. Anyone taste any yet? I'm certainly one that loves a good Cali Pinot but I grow tired and jaded to the constant WS hype.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can you really determine that yet?

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Absolutely.

But given how many times a year WS declares something "vintage of the decade/century/alltime" it's hard to really believe.

8. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Some promising news for Canadians who like wine - an amendment to the 1920's era "Intoxicating Liquor Act" which currently prohibits inter-provincial shipments of wine is on the books for next week in parliament. The amendment would allow for shipping and transport of wine for personal consumption.

Here is the bill: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=5151840&File=24
    Here is a good analysis: http://www.winelaw.ca/cms/index.php/news/1/174-reform-process-for-wine-shipping-law-begins

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Very nice, Mark. Is Margaux your favorite BDX AOC? You seem to drink a lot from there.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

11. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

This is incredible. Reading the analysis, this applies not only domestic, but imported wines too. The Calgary wine market is going to explode, wherein they import based on a flat volume tax, rather than a value based tax. Hopefully this is a catalyst in reforming how the Ontario monopoly currently operates.

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

There will be some provincial tweaking, I'm sure (receiving provinces have to give permission), but you're right - the arbitrage opportunities abound and not only with Alberta but Quebec too. Take the 2010 Lapierre Morgon - it is $26 at the SAQ and the BCLDB wants $34 for it. Even factoring a $2/bottle shipping fee (which is pretty common) that still works out to a tidy little savings. I don't know about markets "exploding" since this is probably only 1% of the wine market in Canada that will shop like this, but stores in Calgary like Centre Street North, Zyn, J Webb, and Bin 905 will be getting my business - pretty much the only places in Canada to get wines like DRC, Raveneau, Rouget, Selosse...

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is great news and also rather ironic. There is a movement to get shipping to consumers across state lines outlawed. It seems to have died down a bit with the mid-term results but we shall see. Basically, distributors were paying for some legislation so they could have state wide monopolies again. :(

Had part of an 06 Peterson Syrah and part of an 07 Loring Aubaine Vineyard Pinot. The Syrah was excellent. Strong but not harsh tannins, deep, deep purple, nice fruit. The Pinot was good but the nose had a faint bit of what I can only call old inner tube on the nose. It quickly blew off.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

last night was some of this. Delicious.

[​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have seen the 2010 Lapierre Morgon in NYC in the mid-30's.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Mmmmmm, Heather Graham.

Anyway, the whole phenomenon of posting receipts from celebrities' nights out on the town is really weird to me. Who cares what they spent, they obviously have the money. Not talking about this one in particular, but the trend of people posting up the receipts on the internet in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  17. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

This is sad and I hope it fails. For me, if this legislation passes, it will mean expanded selection. I don't imagine pricing differentials will exist for long. For the BC wine industry this will open up the Ontario market to them which will really help the niche/farmgate wineries do direct sales. I would even buy direct from one Ontario winery that makes a great Riesling

The irony of the CDN system is that pricing, despite high levels of built-in taxes is generally competitive on the mid to premium range of wines - the provincial liquor commissions have huge economies of scale. Luckily for me proportionately more tax is assessed on swill.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just cracked on 07 Sea Smoke Southing. I bought a half case and this is just coming into its window, IMO. Will let the rest sleep for another six months to a year before trying another. Nice right now but I think it can grow more complex.

19. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Some excellent wines this week, chief among them, the superb '99 Beaucastel.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]