The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

The Richeboug vinyard has a number of owners (Burgundy is very fragmented) so it depends on whose Richebourg it is. The DRC is the best.

no shit sherlock

2. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

-_- look the name up. i want 1er cru for $40

Billard-Gonnet, Pommard 1er Cru "Clos de Verger", 2003
    Domaine Jean-Philippe Marchand, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru "Cuvee Eline", 2006

Let me just quickly explain something about Burgundy. In Burgundy at the top you have the Grand Cru vinyards like Chambertin, Romanee-Conti, Clos de Vougeot etc etc which just go by their own name without the name of the town(sometimes they even stradle different towns)
    Below this you have the Premier Cru where the name of the town is listed and then the vinyard eg. Vosne-Romanee, Les Suchots
    Below this is Premier Cru with no vinyard name which means it's from one or more of the premier vinyards in the town and would be labelled something like this-Vosne-Romanee 1st Cru
    And btw, the reason that names are confusing is that they were intended to be misleading to capitalise on the top vinyard names. In the 1800's all of these towns annexed the name of the top vinyard in the area to the town name.
    The great Romanee-Conti vinyard was located in the town of Vosne so the winegrowers there of lesser vinyards got the town's name changed to Vosne-Romanee to make their wines look better [​IMG]

3. binge

binge Senior member

A friend works for a company in Paris. She called one day and said that they were breaking out the Champers at 2. Regularly, too. Class.

I'm sorry, I was going to write a longer response, but it's time for the afternoon scotch in the office lounge.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

thanks for the rec

however

i dont understand how anybody can be as socially daft as you.

i am pretty sure this information you just spouted is widely known. i'd say everybody in this thread already knows it and have known it for awhile.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Billard-Gonnet, Pommard 1er Cru "Clos de Verger", 2003
    Domaine Jean-Philippe Marchand, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru "Cuvee Eline", 2006

Let me just quickly explain something about Burgundy. In Burgundy at the top you have the Grand Cru vinyards like Chambertin, Romanee-Conti, Clos de Vougeot etc etc which just go by their own name without the name of the town(sometimes they even stradle different towns)
    Below this you have the Premier Cru where the name of the town is listed and then the vinyard eg. Vosne-Romanee, Les Suchots
    Below this is Premier Cru with no vinyard name which means it's from one or more of the premier vinyards in the town and would be labelled something like this-Vosne-Romanee 1st Cru
    And btw, the reason that names are confusing is that they were intended to be misleading to capitalise on the top vinyard names. In the 1800's all of these towns annexed the name of the top vinyard in the area to the town name.
    The great Romanee-Conti vinyard was located in the town of Vosne so the winegrowers there of lesser vinyards got the town's name changed to Vosne-Romanee to make their wines look better [​IMG]

Dude, every single actual fact in this post is not only known to all the regulars in this thread, it's also already been posted int this thread.

Your time here is wasted, why not move on?

6. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I'm sorry, I was going to write a longer response, but it's time for the afternoon scotch in the office lounge.

Ah! Les Hommes EnragÃ[​IMG]

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

[Petrus1]let me explain to everyone that wine is made from grapes[/Petrus1]

8. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come, let us vinohounds engage in a bit of team (Piob) building...let us all ignore the troll puppet.

10. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

thanks for the advice from everyone. picked up the following at the store: [​IMG]

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

let me just quicky explain that the grapes are first pressed to extract their juices, and then the juice is fermented where the sugars react with yeast and alcohol is created. This creates the product that we call wine.

12. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come, let us vinohounds engage in a bit of team (Piob) building...let us all ignore the troll puppet.

What troll puppet? [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

let me just quicky explain that the grapes are first pressed to extract their juices, and then the juice is fermented where the sugars react with yeast and alcohol is created. This creates the product that we call wine.

This is what I must deal with, talking to noob WS readers. Don't you understand, prior to this, the vines must first be planted....it is the start of the vinification process, as I was taught by my great grandfather, and he by his great grandfather before him, back unto the time of Rome.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this is all getting a little too advanced for me. Can we go back to talking about MILFS?

15. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

How about sloppy-seconds??

I tried a 2000 Clos du Marquis this weekend and really enjoyed it. This is Leoville Las Cases' second wine, but unlike most other seconds, this one has it's own dedicated vineyard just a short distance from big brother. Very nice structure, strong tannins and nice black fruit. I may pick up some 2006 as it is pretty easily available and would be drinkable soon I think. Anyone else ever try this wine?