• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
The Richeboug vinyard has a number of owners (Burgundy is very fragmented) so it depends on whose Richebourg it is. The DRC is the best.

no **** sherlock

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
-_- look the name up. i want 1er cru for $40

Billard-Gonnet, Pommard 1er Cru "Clos de Verger", 2003
Domaine Jean-Philippe Marchand, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru "Cuvee Eline", 2006

Let me just quickly explain something about Burgundy. In Burgundy at the top you have the Grand Cru vinyards like Chambertin, Romanee-Conti, Clos de Vougeot etc etc which just go by their own name without the name of the town(sometimes they even stradle different towns)
Below this you have the Premier Cru where the name of the town is listed and then the vinyard eg. Vosne-Romanee, Les Suchots
Below this is Premier Cru with no vinyard name which means it's from one or more of the premier vinyards in the town and would be labelled something like this-Vosne-Romanee 1st Cru
And btw, the reason that names are confusing is that they were intended to be misleading to capitalise on the top vinyard names. In the 1800's all of these towns annexed the name of the top vinyard in the area to the town name.
The great Romanee-Conti vinyard was located in the town of Vosne so the winegrowers there of lesser vinyards got the town's name changed to Vosne-Romanee to make their wines look better
lol8[1].gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
A friend works for a company in Paris. She called one day and said that they were breaking out the Champers at 2. Regularly, too. Class.

I'm sorry, I was going to write a longer response, but it's time for the afternoon scotch in the office lounge.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for the rec

however

i dont understand how anybody can be as socially daft as you.

i am pretty sure this information you just spouted is widely known. i'd say everybody in this thread already knows it and have known it for awhile.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
Billard-Gonnet, Pommard 1er Cru "Clos de Verger", 2003
Domaine Jean-Philippe Marchand, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru "Cuvee Eline", 2006

Let me just quickly explain something about Burgundy. In Burgundy at the top you have the Grand Cru vinyards like Chambertin, Romanee-Conti, Clos de Vougeot etc etc which just go by their own name without the name of the town(sometimes they even stradle different towns)
Below this you have the Premier Cru where the name of the town is listed and then the vinyard eg. Vosne-Romanee, Les Suchots
Below this is Premier Cru with no vinyard name which means it's from one or more of the premier vinyards in the town and would be labelled something like this-Vosne-Romanee 1st Cru
And btw, the reason that names are confusing is that they were intended to be misleading to capitalise on the top vinyard names. In the 1800's all of these towns annexed the name of the top vinyard in the area to the town name.
The great Romanee-Conti vinyard was located in the town of Vosne so the winegrowers there of lesser vinyards got the town's name changed to Vosne-Romanee to make their wines look better
lol8[1].gif

Dude, every single actual fact in this post is not only known to all the regulars in this thread, it's also already been posted int this thread.

Your time here is wasted, why not move on?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I'm sorry, I was going to write a longer response, but it's time for the afternoon scotch in the office lounge.

Ah! Les Hommes EnragÃ
00a9.png

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
[Petrus1]let me explain to everyone that wine is made from grapes[/Petrus1]

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

crackup[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

laugh.gif

worship.gif

Come, let us vinohounds engage in a bit of team (Piob) building...let us all ignore the troll puppet.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice from everyone. picked up the following at the store:
2010112317595615.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

let me just quicky explain that the grapes are first pressed to extract their juices, and then the juice is fermented where the sugars react with yeast and alcohol is created. This creates the product that we call wine.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

worship.gif

Come, let us vinohounds engage in a bit of team (Piob) building...let us all ignore the troll puppet.

What troll puppet?
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
let me just quicky explain that the grapes are first pressed to extract their juices, and then the juice is fermented where the sugars react with yeast and alcohol is created. This creates the product that we call wine.

This is what I must deal with, talking to noob WS readers. Don't you understand, prior to this, the vines must first be planted....it is the start of the vinification process, as I was taught by my great grandfather, and he by his great grandfather before him, back unto the time of Rome.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
this is all getting a little too advanced for me. Can we go back to talking about MILFS?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about sloppy-seconds??

I tried a 2000 Clos du Marquis this weekend and really enjoyed it. This is Leoville Las Cases' second wine, but unlike most other seconds, this one has it's own dedicated vineyard just a short distance from big brother. Very nice structure, strong tannins and nice black fruit. I may pick up some 2006 as it is pretty easily available and would be drinkable soon I think. Anyone else ever try this wine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads