The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

but moving on guys, can we just forget the bullshit talk? Yes, somebody said this, and then somebody said that - can we end it? This thread has been a great example of hundreds of pages of great discussion between seasoned wine people and the noobs with no pretention and no arguments. It would be a tremendous disapointment to see it change at this point.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

but moving on guys, can we just forget the bullshit talk? Yes, somebody said this, and then somebody said that - can we end it? This thread has been a great example of hundreds of pages of great discussion between seasoned wine people and the noobs with no pretention and no arguments. It would be a tremendous disapointment to see it change at this point.
    Seems we have a new troll who's whole purpose in life is to ensure that doesn't happen. Somehow I dont think he's finished with his little game.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There are no Pomerols that are 100% merlot.

Really? You need to tell this to the people who make the wines, they will be surprised.

Really? You personally know the reasons in my own head why I am "fixated" on certain things? How? ESP?

BTW, I am not "fixated" on varietals. Someone else asked about a varietal and I told him where he could get the kind he was asking about, in a wine that was not labeled as such. That's all.

You are vox without the subtelty and wit.

4. why

why Senior member

I'm glad Petrus is posting here. He seems to know a lot. Unfortunately I don't know enough to determine the accuracy of it. [​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

There are no Pomerols that are 100% merlot.

Really? You need to tell this to the people who make the wines, they will be surprised.

[​IMG] Ch. Petrus

I'm glad Petrus is posting here. He seems to know a lot. Unfortunately I don't know enough to determine the accuracy of it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I forgot that I was dealing neophytes here and have to explain everything although I try to keep it very simple. I was referring to to the malolactic fermentation.Carbonic maceration is something else. A newly made made like BN hasn't even completed its malo yet.

Lulz. Carbonic maceration circumvents the need for a maloactic fermentation, per Jancis Robinson in my The Oxford Companion to Wine (the exact reason BN can/is released so young).

BOOM! Team Piob ftw.

@edgar, given your parameters, try 2007 Perrin & Fils Côtes du Rhône Reserve. Had a bottle with dinner last night, Trader Joe's, $9.99.

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

So what are ya'll planning on drinking for Thanksgiving?

8. Manton

So what are ya'll planning on drinking for Thanksgiving?

I think I will have some 2000 v Champagne from a tiny little producer, a Sonoma chard from 2005 and a '97 Burgess.

BTW, AF Gros 2004 1er Cru = [​IMG] $40 = [​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Manton, thanks for reminding me of the 97 Burgess. I just added that to the list.

We are not cooking this year but headed to some friends. I'm bringing a magnun of 07 Sea Smoke Chard and now the Burgess.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

BTW, AF Gros 2004 1er Cru = [​IMG] $40 = [​IMG]

which 1er?

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I think I will have some 2000 v Champagne from a tiny little producer, a Sonoma chard from 2005 and a '97 Burgess. BTW, AF Gros 2004 1er Cru = [​IMG] $40 = [​IMG]
    Manton, thanks for reminding me of the 97 Burgess. I just added that to the list. We are not cooking this year but headed to some friends. I'm bringing a magnun of 07 Sea Smoke Chard and now the Burgess.
    Is this the '97 Burgess that everyone in the thread was smart enough to buy on WTSO but myself? Also guys, as some of the OG wine thread members know, I'm not very versed in French wine. I'm looking for some stuff that will pair well with the typical Thanksgiving dinner. Can anyone help a brother out? Thanks John (Team Pio)

12. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

Exactly. What a bunch of snobs we seem to have attracted. Sheesh.
    Whoa, I certainly didn't expect to be labeled a snob for recommending cru-Beaujolais over nouveau, but I do apologize for offending you!

It seems that I may have stepped in the middle of some ongoing dispute between a number of you folks, and that's not at all where I like to find myself. If it's not too late, I think I'll just attempt to gracefully withdraw from this conversation and retreat back to lurking. But please know that I had no intention of offending anyone.

13. Manton

which 1er?

Can't remember. I still have the bottle.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

-_- look the name up. i want 1er cru for $40

15. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Had some good EYE-TIES last night... barolo, amarone..

First time drinking an amarone, seemed powerful... the restaurant owner gave us another bottle to take home. Will try it again sometime soon..