Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

playa

2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

It's winter in the Northeast, I'm not going to any beach until January.

3. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

Quick questions, how do you think a 1997 Chablis Premier Cru Grenouille will turn out? Is it too old for a white wine? What would you pair it with? I'm thinking grilled or baked red snapper with no sauce.
    Grenouilles is actually a Grand Cru so if it was stored properly it should be good.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Anyone try any Beaujolais Nouveau this year? I know. I know. Still, aren't you curious? Picked up a few bottles to try. First one so far was this: [​IMG] Bouchard Aine & Fils. I'm generally not a BN fan, but decided (for whatever reason) to join the frivolity this year. This actually isn't terrible. Reminds me of a cheaper Cote du Brouilly or some lighter Beaujolais. Straight out of the bottle it was more of a Welch's Grape Juice flavor. Definitely some ripe fruit taste here. Not actually terrible at $10.50. Reasonably quaff-able for what it is.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had an 06 Erie Shores Vidal Icewine with foie.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dont think i ever really like the BNs I've had. it's like alcoholic fruit juice just more interesting.

7. Piobaire

i dont think i ever really like the BNs I've had. it's like alcoholic fruit juice just more interesting.

You need to try a light spatburgunder. I'll grab a bottle of Tesch. It's just like what you said, alcoholic fruit juice. Perfect for certain occasions.

8. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Well-Known Member

Should be great, if stored properly definitely not too old. I've had CA chards that old that I loved. Chablis is far more built to last than that.

Well, I'll let you know how it goes...

9. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

Anyone try any Beaujolais Nouveau this year?

I know. I know. Still, aren't you curious?

Picked up a few bottles to try. First one so far was this:
    [​IMG]

Bouchard Aine & Fils.

I'm generally not a BN fan, but decided (for whatever reason) to join the frivolity this year.

This actually isn't terrible. Reminds me of a cheaper Cote du Brouilly or some lighter Beaujolais. Straight out of the bottle it was more of a Welch's Grape Juice flavor. Definitely some ripe fruit taste here. Not actually terrible at $10.50. Reasonably quaff-able for what it is.

I've had these but I think BN is ridiculous.In the past these wines weren't even bottled and just sold by the glass from the barrel in Dijon or Paris. They're dead in a few months. But top notch Beaujolais for the same price.
    http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/search...order=0&page=1

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Had a great date tonight. Went to the Field Museum and then to The Bristol for dinner. At the bristol we had a glass of cava and a bottle of '05 village level southern rhone which was surprisingly very good for its price. Afterwards, we went back to my place to enjoy a bottle of 2004 Morey St Denis pinot noir. Man I love a good burgundy. This one was everything the girl and I wanted. Something approachable and drinkable, but not something that required you to give it all your attention.

Fuck I love my life. [​IMG]

11. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I've had these but I think BN is ridiculous.In the past these wines weren't even bottled and just sold by the glass from the barrel in Dijon or Paris. They're dead in a few months. But top notch Beaujolais for the same price.

So that's a no, then?

12. Piobaire

He reads like a History of Wine, 101.

@Petrus: you really think most of us active here did not know this? Well, in fact, you're somewhat incorrect too. Paris was rather a late comer to this party; it caught on first in Lyons and Beaujolais and did not hit the Paris scene until after WWII (or there abouts). Are you going to next "reveal" how it is made with only the Gamay grape?

Decided this guy is a puppet/troll.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

no way. it's only made with gamay? but beaujolais is from the burgundy region, no? i thought they only used pinot noir in burgundy. (10)

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Had a great date tonight. Went to the Field Museum and then to The Bristol for dinner. At the bristol we had a glass of cava and a bottle of '05 village level southern rhone which was surprisingly very good for its price. Afterwards, we went back to my place to enjoy a bottle of 2004 Morey St Denis pinot noir. Man I love a good burgundy. This one was everything the girl and I wanted. Something approachable and drinkable, but not something that required you to give it all your attention.

Fuck I love my life. [​IMG]

victory with the help of French wine and a touch of spain. NICE.

I think you night was better than mine - a miscommunication with the +1 and I meant we both left our keys in the apartment rushing out the door with a serious wave of [​IMG] when we realized we were locked out. Called the locksmith and we were in 15 minutes and $350 later [​IMG] . I wanted some more Champagne to kill the sour taste, so I rushed to the store knowing they close at 7 on Sundays. I get there with a few minutes to spare, but [​IMG] the doors are locked and according to the sign now they close at 6:45 on Sundays!?! [​IMG] I settled with another wine store and a Loire white instead. The butternut squash soup from Bouchon, however, was awesome.

15. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Merlot for under $30?